Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

I wonder........ 2 Very Useful.........

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

6719jason
Weather Station: La-Crosse WS3502
Operating System: Windows 7

I wonder........ 2 Very Useful.........

Post by 6719jason »

Ello Steve,

I wonder if it would be possible, to have either a new webtag or realtime 0 or 1 in the array (much the same as with the isitdaylight) to be used when the console has lost contact with the transmitter.
This would be very handy for me and other users of all Stations who, may or may not have access to the Server PC, Console or Website. By having either of the above, you could see from the website, if contact has been lost.

Thanks

Jason
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: I wonder........ 2 Very Useful.........

Post by steve »

Yes, that should be possible...
Steve
6719jason

Post by 6719jason »

Thank you Steve, thats great news.
I unhappily did have this happen early this morning, but happily it is now working again :)
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Yes, it would be a useful addition. I have some code which checks if the time stamp from realtime is older than a few minutes and it then warns me on the site. I did extend it a little to run as a cron job on the server so that I do not have to be on the website to get the warning but I stopped it (can't recall why); no good for the mass market as most people to not have access to run cron jobs on their web host.

The idea could perhaps be extended so that Cumulus sends an email to you when it stops receiving data (again that alleviates the need to visit the website to be told) but that is for C2 I guess as it is more involved.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
6719jason

Post by 6719jason »

daj wrote:Yes, it would be a useful addition. I have some code which checks if the time stamp from realtime is older than a few minutes and it then warns me on the site. I did extend it a little to run as a cron job on the server so that I do not have to be on the website to get the warning but I stopped it (can't recall why); no good for the mass market as most people to not have access to run cron jobs on their web host.

The idea could perhaps be extended so that Cumulus sends an email to you when it stops receiving data (again that alleviates the need to visit the website to be told) but that is for C2 I guess as it is more involved.
Daj, youve spotted the very idea that made me think at the time, that it would be a good idea. :idea:

I came out of the shower and I looked at the Base Station and Saw -- -- -- -- -- In all the outdoor readings and thought, hold on, I was on the website 1hr ago and I saw no problem, Then I checked the Graphs and saw they had all flat lined and thats when it hit me 'Thats an idea, Why doesn't cumulus email me when it loses contact or flashes an onscreen website alert?'. I then logged into the Server and saw in the error box 'Sensor Contact Lost' and another idea hit, what about a audible alert from Cumulus when it loses contact? :)

The website flash alert, could only really be given by cumulus via webtag or realtime array :D

I mean with no weather data, theres no weather website? :P

I think we may be on the same wavelength here :D
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

I would suggest that with all the different wx currently supported and their different regimes and protocols, there may not be an easy soloution - over to Steve to prove me wrong :)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
akasonny
Weather Station: Zephyr TD-1000
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by akasonny »

Good grief what a coincidence! I was sitting at the laptop (I radmin-access my other two systems from it) and saw the error light flashing on the C1 console...same error! Relocated the console and everything is fine. But I could have just as easily been gone all day and wouldn't have known about it. Count me in on the addition of an "uh oh" flag/webtag/screen/whatever.
6719jason wrote:[I came out of the shower and I looked at the Base Station and Saw -- -- -- -- -- In all the outdoor readings and thought, hold on, I was on the website 1hr ago and I saw no problem, Then I checked the Graphs and saw they had all flat lined and thats when it hit me
daj

Post by daj »

beteljuice wrote:I would suggest that with all the different wx currently supported and their different regimes and protocols, there may not be an easy soloution - over to Steve to prove me wrong :)
Indeed Sir Beteljuice I can see a small, but not insurmountable, issue as I believe Cumulus does not read the time from the WX but the PC, however some additional logic should at least allow an email to hint that all is not well with the data. There is nothing to substitute for human intervention but a gentle prod fro Cumulus would be useful.

I am of course going against my principles and suggesting a mod to Steve -- then I will come along with the 'code freeze' policeman's hat on and chastise Saint Steve should modifications be made to C1

(I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place now) :D
David
kippfordweather.uk
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I can easily do this for the Fine Offset stations, which set a flag in the data to say that contact has been lost with the external sensors (that's how I flash the error light). I can't remember at the moment whether other stations have something similar.

The web tag and realtime.txt settings are no problem; and I can make it play a sound (optionally) like it does for the other alarms. Email is another thing altogether as Cumulus currently has no email capability at all (but it would be good to have it for alarms in general).
Steve
dionaea
Weather Station: WH1080 / Watson8681

Post by dionaea »

I had the same error message at 0835 hours yesterday - never happened before - sinister!!! Corrected itself without my help by next update.

Cheers,
Chris
6719jason

Post by 6719jason »

dionaea wrote:I had the same error message at 0835 hours yesterday - never happened before - sinister!!! Corrected itself without my help by next update.

Cheers,
Chris
akasonny wrote:Good grief what a coincidence! I was sitting at the laptop (I radmin-access my other two systems from it) and saw the error light flashing on the C1 console...same error! Relocated the console and everything is fine. But I could have just as easily been gone all day and wouldn't have known about it. Count me in on the addition of an "uh oh" flag/webtag/screen/whatever.
Well, I am stunned! This is getting too weird for words. My station lost contact around 2hrs later, at 1025/35?. This has to be more than just coincidence ? Could we be looking at a programming bug in the Stations Hardware? For 3 stations to all lose contact within hours of each other on the same day?
steve wrote:I can easily do this for the Fine Offset stations, which set a flag in the data to say that contact has been lost with the external sensors (that's how I flash the error light). I can't remember at the moment whether other stations have something similar.

The web tag and realtime.txt settings are no problem; and I can make it play a sound (optionally) like it does for the other alarms. Email is another thing altogether as Cumulus currently has no email capability at all (but it would be good to have it for alarms in general).
Aww fantastic news Steve. I reacon I can sort out the email alert system outside of Cumulus.

Hopefully, its a useful feature to have but hopefully, we wont ever need to hear, see or have to solve the issue of lost sensor contact :)

Jason
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

6719jason wrote:Well, I am stunned! This is getting too weird for words.
Prepared to be further stunned. My VP2 lost contact with its sensors during Weds night/Thurs morning...

Solar activity?
Steve
6719jason

Post by 6719jason »

steve wrote:
Prepared to be further stunned. My VP2 lost contact with its sensors during Weds night/Thurs morning...

Solar activity?
:shock: Crikey! Well, I am stunned beyond all belief now!

Who can say? Very strange though.
daj

Post by daj »

Can I join your gang?!

I've just checked and see the following on my station for Tuesday

29/11/2009 05:40:58 Lost sensor contact!!!
:o
David
kippfordweather.uk
6719jason

Post by 6719jason »

daj wrote:
Can I join your gang?!

I've just checked and see the following on my station for Tuesday

29/11/2009 05:40:58 Lost sensor contact!!!
:o
:o Please do Daj! Well I..............