Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

RealTime.txt

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

callum91
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7

RealTime.txt

Post by callum91 »

Hello

I'm having problems with my realtime.txt file - it doesn't seem to be uploading properly which I think is why the real time wind guages aren't working.

My weather site is http://www.goringweather.netau.net/index.htm and the URL of the realtime.txt file should be http://goringweather.netau.net/realtime.txt

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Callum
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: RealTime.txt

Post by steve »

Your site seems to be "under review" - could this be something to do with the problem?
Steve
callum91

Post by callum91 »

Yes I'm not sure - I wasn't aware that it was under review until someone else told me, because it still looks normal from my side.

I'll have to wait and see.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

I can 'see' your site at the moment, but you are correct - realtime.txt is not there !
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, it looks like the "under review" was a red herring. If you turn on ftp log and debug log, the realtimelog.txt and debug.log files may have something to say about it.
Steve
callum91

Post by callum91 »

steve wrote:Yes, it looks like the "under review" was a red herring. If you turn on ftp log and debug log, the realtimelog.txt and debug.log files may have something to say about it.
I have turned on Debug Log and FTP Logging but do not have a file called "realtimelog.txt" and the debug.log file just says

Code: Select all

Cumulus debug log
0000.000 : **** Logging Disabled

So I'm puzzled as to what could be wrong.

Maybe it's because I'm not running it as administrator or because I have installed it in the program files folder?

Thanks

Callum
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

callum91 wrote:Maybe it's because I'm not running it as administrator or because I have installed it in the program files folder?
Hi Callum

Certainly installing it in the Program Files folder in Vista is a big no no. It causes all sorts of issues, especially if you are not running in an admin account. (Vista and Windows 7 create virtual folders and create copies of files else where if you do not have sufficient privileges to use the Program Files folder -- this confuses things no end). I would re-install in a new folder outwith the c:\program files structure)
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
callum91

Post by callum91 »

daj wrote:
callum91 wrote:Maybe it's because I'm not running it as administrator or because I have installed it in the program files folder?
Hi Callum

Certainly installing it in the Program Files folder in Vista is a big no no. It causes all sorts of issues, especially if you are not running in an admin account. (Vista and Windows 7 create virtual folders and create copies of files else where if you do not have sufficient privileges to use the Program Files folder -- this confuses things no end). I would re-install in a new folder outwith the c:\program files structure)
I am running the main administrator account and I have set the UAC to Everyone - Full Control over the Cumulus program files, however I cannot reinstall Cumulus outside my program files folder because it will loose all of my data -- I tried it before and had to do system restore to get it back.
daj

Post by daj »

You can copy your Cumulus folder, un-install, re-install and overwrite the new Cumulus folder with the one you copied earlier.

That said, you will possibly find that Vista has placed some of your data files elsewhere (possibly a hidden folder in your users folder c:\users\<user>\appdata\<somewhere> or c:\ProgramData). It is quite messy really.
David
kippfordweather.uk
callum91

Post by callum91 »

I'm not sure if that is whether it is causing the RealTime.txt not to work though.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The realtime ftp log is called realtimeftplog.txt, but I guess you would have spotted that even given my misnaming of it. It will be there somewhere, but it's hard to say where exactly on Vista when installed to Program Files. If you're running Cumulus elevated, you would normally expect that to override the virtual store nonsense, but it's not clear from your description that you are. It looks like the debug log is also not where you think it is.

As David suggests, look in the virtual store folders - see the FAQ about "I can't find my data" if you're not sure where that is, and beware of hidden folders.
Steve
callum91

Post by callum91 »

Thanks - I have found the data I have been looking for in the Virtual store (which I didn't know existed until now) and have installed Cumulus in the location C:\Cumulus\.

I now have the dubug.log and Realtimeftplog.txt but I can't see anything obviously wrong.

All I can think of is it must be something to do with the host I am using - does anyone know any good internet hosting sites?
daj

Post by daj »

callum91 wrote:.... does anyone know any good internet hosting sites?
see my signature -- I offer easy setup for cumulus users. I can give you a trial too :D

I am not a hosting company but just want to offer a reliable service to the Cumulus community
David
kippfordweather.uk
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

callum91 wrote:All I can think of is it must be something to do with the host I am using
I did wonder if it was the free hosting blocking the .txt file, I think others have had similar problems.
Steve
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

Field 50 of the realtime.txt "is daylight?" is described in the Help file as either 1 (day) or 0 ( night).
My realtime.txt seems to have 2 digits: either 00 or 10.
Not a big problem -just a mismatch between reality and the Help file :)
Ib