Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Web hosting - any takers?

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Web hosting - any takers?

Post by freddie »

I have recently taken over a web hosting company. I know a lot of users of this forum use web hosting. I am hoping to put together an attractive package for weather web sites - but will need your help, if you are interested. Basically, the kind of information I am after is:
  • Disk space requirement.
  • Memory (RAM) requirement.
  • Bandwidth requirement.
  • Software requirement (e.g. database, PHP version, etc.)
  • Anything else required, such as SSH access and the like.
Note that PHP, .htaccess, web stats and cPanel access will be standard as with many other companies.

If you are interested, could you please PM with your requirements as this will inform me on how to shape the package(s) offered.

Any package will be very competitively priced, as I am only looking to cover costs, plus a bit for administration charges. I'm not doing this to "fleece" anybody - I want to give back to the community in a similar way that Mark does with his selfless development and maintenance of Cumulus MX.
Freddie
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: Web hosting - any takers?

Post by HansR »

That is a great initiative :clap:

I currently am very happy with my (Dutch) provider and see no need to move. But the world may change, as it did before, and I may have to move providers again in which case it would be great to have a community provider who understands CumulusMX and its requirements.

One question (before that situation occurs): I have two websites: one for my meteo activities and one other. Both use WordPress either as a sidekick (meteo) or as main site engine. Would it be possible to install Wordpress (automatically) and if so how would that be managed? Would other applications be available?

Would it be possible to have my second website hosted as well beside the meteo site?
How would you handle that (technically and financially?)
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4023+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

That's a great offer :clap:

I'm self-hosting on a rPi for now, a fixed IP makes that easy, things may change in the future of course.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I would be interested but not until my current hosting service runs out in May 2025 as I have already paid upfront for it.

Two questions spring to mind

1) What level of service would you intend to provide (24/7?) and how if there is only one of you :D :D

2) Not sure about "Memory (Ram) requirement" as this is not a stat my current site provides (see below).

David
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

freddie wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 9:17 pm I have recently taken over a web hosting company. I know a lot of users of this forum use web hosting. I am hoping to put together an attractive package for weather web sites - but will need your help, if you are interested. Basically, the kind of information I am after is:
  • Disk space requirement.
  • Memory (RAM) requirement.
  • Bandwidth requirement.
  • Software requirement (e.g. database, PHP version, etc.)
  • Anything else required, such as SSH access and the like.
Note that PHP, .htaccess, web stats and cPanel access will be standard as with many other companies.

If you are interested, could you please PM with your requirements as this will inform me on how to shape the package(s) offered.

Any package will be very competitively priced, as I am only looking to cover costs, plus a bit for administration charges. I'm not doing this to "fleece" anybody - I want to give back to the community in a similar way that Mark does with his selfless development and maintenance of Cumulus MX.
Likewise to Mark. I use dynamic DNS and self host, though if the option to host is attractive enough then I may move to yourself in the future.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Linux openSUSE

Post by broadstairs »

I do use a hosting service which also handles my email including spam removal, and also handle domain renewals. Like others my contract expires later in the year. I realise your suggested service may well not handle some of this stuff.

Stuart
Currently running CMX V4 4023