Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

virtual vp cumulus and weatherlink

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: virtual vp cumulus and weatherlink

Post by RayProudfoot »

gemini06720 wrote:But, but, I have no problem with VirtualVP ... only with the WeatherLink software.

On the old computer with the Windows XP Pro operating system, VirtualVP supplies the data obtained from the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 Weather Envoy to both Weather Display and VPLive - I stopped running the WeatherLink software, not because of VirtualVP but because the WeatherLink software had conflicts with Weather Display and was using way too much power for the data it was producing.
So WeatherLink is perhaps the culprit. I continue to run it because I might find some of the data useful. But because Cumulus is now so much better than in May 2009 that is perhaps no longer the case. Still, if it 'ain't broken no need to cease it.

WL really could do with a rewrite. Whilst it may be powerful it looks pretty ancient given the price Davis charge (with a datalogger thrown in). Anyway, I digress. The OP would seem to have a solution to his problem should he wish to go down that route.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

katdoc
Weather Station: Davis vantage Pro2 24h
Operating System: windows 10 business x64

Post by katdoc »

I am trying again using older version of com0com that you suggest which is signed.
Now on VVP i get this: "VpConsole: Connection error: Device already open"
Whats this?

ok with this.
I also found a free software called "launchlater" to set delay for both software BUT VVP gave these:

"17:10:54:679 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console
17:10:56:765 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Get Live Sensor Data"

What the h@#$!# happens with these ports?
After every boot the configuration is lost somehow or is it sth else?
katdoc

Post by katdoc »

I finally did it using tcp/ip connection.Everything seemed fine.VVP seems to be really "heavy" and after some time (in my case 13 hours uptime) everything freezes. WL is a real mess.The problem is WL and nothing else.How can you pay min 500$ for a VP2 and come with a software like that.Pitty
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Sorry for not replying earlier to your post - I have been involved with other projects and I did not take the time to read the forums.

Unless you have a very under power PC, VirtualVP should not be that 'heavy' - I have VirtualVP, Weather Display, GRLevel3, WXSIM and a few other small utilities running on a very old (almost 10 years) computer without any problem...

May I remind you that you paid $500 for a weather station (and possibly the WeatherLink adapter, if it was included in the weather station's price) and paid nothing for the WeatherLink software as it is included with the adapter.

As I wrote previously (and warned you), I have had nothing but problems trying to run the WeatherLink software with the VirtualVP software - the only way I ever was able to run the WeatherLink software for any length of time without a computer or software 'freeze' is when the WeatherLink software runs by itself and communicates directly to a console through a WeatherLink adapter. Some (not many) people have had success with the WeatherLink software ... I am certainly not one of them... :roll:
katdoc

Post by katdoc »

Regarding "heaviness" you are right.Vpp acts normally , cumulus also but WL freezes or better responses slowelly
I decided to run both programs with vpp and once a day i will close wl and start it again.for some hours i dont have problems but when i leave everything for many hoursboth programs stop getting data.thanks for your responses.
Regards
Nick
katdoc

Post by katdoc »

My experience so far. Gemini06720 is right pretty much on everything.
I've realized that before 24 hours working weatherlink freezes the other software.So.If i close WL and open it again before everything freezes,other software seem to work ok.I can do this manually but it would be very handy if there was a way to close and restart WL using some kind of script or software.I dont know.Any ideas??
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

I do not think there is an easy way to do this.

Remember, when the 'freeze' happens, VirtualVP stops making the data (from the console) available to the programs (weather software) connected to it - thus, you would have to restart all weather software after restarting VirtualVP...

You could always try setting up and using SoftWx's 'StartWatch'...

You might be better of in the long range forgetting about the WeatherLink software (as most people ... except the other Ray ;) ) have done - there is nothing the WeatherLink software can do that Cumulus (and Virtual Weather System and Weather Display) cannot do... ;)
katdoc

Post by katdoc »

Regarding WL i totally agree that cumulus is way better of course but the network that i want to join uses WL to upload data and they want all to have same appearance :bash:
Yes its clear that WL freezes both software and data go to waste.That happens to me after 12-24 hours simultaneous VPP,WL and cumulus BUT cumulus works like a charm for 2 days continuously with VPP when runs alone without WL.So the WL software does all the damage like you said in the first place.
Startwatch i dont know what does exactly.Can it start or stop some weather application? Ill have it a look when i go home.Maybe with the help of this software improve my status.The thing with WL is to avoid big problems.Some problems i know i will always have.
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

katdoc wrote:...the network that i want to join uses WL to upload data and they want all to have same appearance
What exactly is needed from the WeatherLink software ... certainly not its graphic images ... more likely the weather data in a specific format...

If the requirement is for a specific file containing specific data (specific valsues such as temperature, humidity, etc) then Cumulus could probably create that file using its webtags...
katdoc

Post by katdoc »

I think also the graphics if you can believe it :shock:
Take a look here
http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/kaimaktsalan/
http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/tanagra/

Anyway i will have to use 2 programs since both require uploading to ftp
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

gemini06720 wrote:You might be better of in the long range forgetting about the WeatherLink software (as most people ... except the other Ray ;) ) have done - there is nothing the WeatherLink software can do that Cumulus (and Virtual Weather System and Weather Display) cannot do... ;)
Actually Raymondo, there is. ;) Ocasionally, for reasons unknown, my wireless connection drops out on my netbook and although it doesn't affect Cumulus it does my WU account.

WL allows me to upload that missed data which is still held in the data logger. So for that reason alone it's worth keeping it running.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

katdoc

Post by katdoc »

Coming back with update regarding VPP,WL and Cumulus
I used also Starwatch with VPP and worked fine for a week continuously without any problems.
About 2 days ago WL started losing TCP connection.Startwatch restarted the software but with no success.WL works again and connects if i close all programs and restart. :bash: :bash: :bash:
What the hell is going on with this software.I forgot to mention that cumulus works like a charm in all cases.
I think i did the best i could with your help of course and i think using this equation (starwatch,VPP) WL works the best so far.Maybe it loses connection i a day maybe in a week.If you have any addition here please let me know regarding tcp connection!!!

Regards
Nick
ajcm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: W7 Home Premium 64bits

Post by ajcm »

Hello:

I use virtual vp tcp-ip to 3 programs (cumulus, weatherdisplay and VWS), 2 days ago I update the firmware (v. 3.13) of vp2 console serial and from that day VWS download data of dataloger but It don`t appear the data on display, the program don´t work but if I connect the VWS directly on port com works fine. I don`t know why. Mr. Ed of VWS says me that VWS don´t work with Virtual VP, I don`t understant it.

Thanks.
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

@ ajcm

There has been a lot of discussion on the WXForum on this topic.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php
It seems the new Davis firmware 3.00 and up is incompatible (with VVP-VWS combo). A number of users have gone back to 1.90 (not an option if you have a new console that came with V3.0.
Last edited by BCJKiwi on Sat 27 Apr 2013 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
ajcm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: W7 Home Premium 64bits

Post by ajcm »

Thanks BCJKiwi, Now I know where is the problem.