Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

User for Cumulus on WHS

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
scorer
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1080
Operating System: Windows Home Server

User for Cumulus on WHS

Post by scorer »

Hi. I'm about to install Cumulus on Windows Home Server, and I'm planning to run it as an application rather than a service (as I know from other postings that that should work). Once it's installed I intend to create a new user to leave logged on, and I have a couple of questions about that user.

Will Cumulus work OK if the logged-on user is not an administrator?
Will all the normal WHS functions (backup, media serving, etc) work if the logged-on user is not an administrator?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Clive
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: User for Cumulus on WHS

Post by steve »

scorer wrote:Will Cumulus work OK if the logged-on user is not an administrator?
I believe so. I don't think that anything Cumulus does requires administrator privilege.
Will all the normal WHS functions (backup, media serving, etc) work if the logged-on user is not an administrator?
I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't; after all, you don't actually need a logged-on user at all for WHS to work.

I run Cumulus on WHS 2011, but I run it using the Adminstrator user, which is probably a bit naughty.
Steve
scorer
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1080
Operating System: Windows Home Server

Post by scorer »

Thanks. I'm slightly concerned (probably unnecessarily) about the security implications of leaving the admin user logged on, so I think I might try a 'normal' user once I've got everything proven as admin.

Clive
Mace
Weather Station: N96GY
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Mace »

I also run Cumulus on WHS 2011 under the administrator account and have never had any problems. As long as you keep the computer locked, don't disable the firewall and have anti-virus installed then any risks should be minimal in a home environment.