Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How Accurate?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
TrOjAn
Weather Station: W-8681 Special from Maplins

How Accurate?

Post by TrOjAn »

Just had a message from abloke that is into the weather stuff and all that and he stated that on that really wet day, 13th December I think, my records showed 2.6 mm of rain and his was over 30mm.

So, are these Fine Offset stations MILES out or is there a reason?

TrOjAn
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: How Accurate?

Post by steve »

Where is he? Dave, who is quite close to you, recorded a similar amount to you on Dec 13th:

http://www.laindonweather.co.uk/trends.htm

Steve
harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

Post by harrym1byt »

Rainfall measured amounts can vary a greatly even when measured from two locations just yards apart. You must have come across situations where you drive down an almost flooded road due to heavy rain, then come to a section where there has been none at all.

I have read where it has been suggested that the FO system's rainfall readings might read a little higher than actual amounts which fell, when compared to a proper manual gauge.
goldrush
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081

Post by goldrush »

Just to add to the above.

I have previously set up 2 rain gauges ("real" types not weather station tipping types) in open countryside, some 200 meters apart and they regularly recorded wildly different amounts.
Futher, I can regularly see it raining hard some thousands of meters away, but none here and vice versa.
Like most weather related things, it depends very much upon the local topography.
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

The Watson is as accurate as any small tipping rain gauge as far as I can tell. Especially as I have calibrated mine against a standard funnel rain gauge (enhanced by accurately weighing the water rather than estimating the volume). I have calibrated the Watson against this using the excellent Cumulus calibration facility (0.92) and have also compared the two with the standard gauge placed in a correct (best available) siting. The correlation was exceptionally good. As said above, there can be big variations but seeing as it pissed down all day that day then you can tell that guy with 95% confidence you are spot on. !!
Dave.
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

WHOOPS! Misread the day! But I got similar to you that day, about 3.8mm or something so all of the above applies except the "pissing down all day" bit !!
Dave
dionaea
Weather Station: WH1080 / Watson8681

Post by dionaea »

I have had an Elecsa WS for a couple of years before getting my WH1080.The only difference is that there was no wind direction & no computer USB link. Over that period I had several low or nil readings which were clearly wrong. On opening the rain gauge I have always found some Arthropod to be the problem - spiders making webs over the tipping balance & cases for eggs cause failure & on several occasions earwigs seem to cause non movement. There being a hole in the top & a drain hole in the base means that there will always be access but smearing the sides & base (but not the drain hole) with a layer of Vaseline minimises the problem. You will never stop some of the wind blown spiders from dropping in. If it doesn't seem to be giving proper readings take a look!

Cheers,

Chris