Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus crashed this morning when downloading data

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
sjukmidlands
Weather Station: Techno-Line WS2300
Operating System: Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64bit

Cumulus crashed this morning when downloading data

Post by sjukmidlands »

Self explanatory from the title, elf file attached.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus crashed this morning when downloading data

Post by steve »

Thanks - this is the same problem that was reported to me by private message (so you wouldn't have known about it). I have a fix and will hopefully be uploading a new build later today. Except that I am experiencing severe broadband problems...
Steve
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

steve wrote:Thanks - this is the same problem that was reported to me by private message (so you wouldn't have known about it). I have a fix and will hopefully be uploading a new build later today. Except that I am experiencing severe broadband problems...
Hi Steve - Good Luck! You certainly don't want severe broadband problems! I'm on Virgin Media Cable 50MBit - and get that too usually, although very occasionally it loses connection and the modem has to be reset - usually when I'm in Wales!

Good Luck again....

Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

sjukmidlands wrote:Hi Steve - Good Luck! You certainly don't want severe broadband problems!
There's been a widespread BT problem since Friday affecting large parts of northern UK, then on top of that we had a lightning strike on the communications mast on the island on Tuesday which knocked out everything completely for a while. Things are back up now, but broadband is virtually unusable.
Steve
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

steve wrote:
sjukmidlands wrote:Hi Steve - Good Luck! You certainly don't want severe broadband problems!
There's been a widespread BT problem since Friday affecting large parts of northern UK, then on top of that we had a lightning strike on the communications mast on the island on Tuesday which knocked out everything completely for a while. Things are back up now, but broadband is virtually unusable.
I heard about the BT problem. Pity about the lightning strike, bet it fried a fair few pieces of equipment somewhere. We had a thunderstorm once many years ago when I worked at the BBC and when I got home my modem was fried. Fortunately the PC was OK...

Whatever, there's not a lot you can do until they fix it so sit back and relax for a bit or go for a walk ('though its a bit bracing here in Staffs...)

Steve
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

Hi Steve,

I hope you're getting your broadband issues sorted! must be frustrating!

Anyway, whilst we await your ability to upload the next build to fix this issue, is there anything I can do now to run an earlier build so that I can at least download the data from the station before it starts to overwrite itself and then update again when its available? I tried yesterday to install an earlier build over this one but it still crashed at the same point.

Best wishes from Staffordshire!
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

sjukmidlands wrote:I hope you're getting your broadband issues sorted! must be frustrating!
I've just got back from the ferry (been shopping) and it looks like they've fixed the broadband. I'll upload the new build as soon as I can.
Steve
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

Excellent on both counts! Glad you've got your broadband back - I know how frustrated I get when it goes down for any time here (which is rare)!

Nice that you have to take a ferry to go shopping, very nice!

Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Seems I spoke to soon; the problem is still ongoing.

I'm afraid an older beta won't help, the same bug is there in all versions. It happens when an all-time record is broken at start up. You could tweak your records (by editing alltime.ini) so they don't get broken, but that's not much of a solution, sorry. The fact that the all-time record editor is also broken (it doesn't save the changes) doesn't make things any easier (you could otherwise have set them back again once it was running).
Steve
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

steve wrote:Seems I spoke to soon; the problem is still ongoing.

I'm afraid an older beta won't help, the same bug is there in all versions. It happens when an all-time record is broken at start up. You could tweak your records (by editing alltime.ini) so they don't get broken, but that's not much of a solution, sorry. The fact that the all-time record editor is also broken (it doesn't save the changes) doesn't make things any easier (you could otherwise have set them back again once it was running).
That's OK Steve, thanks for letting me know anyway, and it must be very frustrating for you! And thanks for explaining what the problem is. I'll just wait for your broadband to be fixed, whenever that is.

Best wishes
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've manage to upload the new build now, hopefully it will fix your problem.
Steve
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

Indeed you have and yes it did! Brilliant on all counts! Do I presume you're broadband issues are fixed or improving?

Thank you very much once again,
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

sjukmidlands wrote:Indeed you have and yes it did! Brilliant on all counts! Do I presume you're broadband issues are fixed or improving?
Not fixed but much improved.
Steve
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

That's a good start at least, hopefully it will be fully fixed sometime soon. What sort of connection speeds do you normally get there?
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

sjukmidlands wrote:That's a good start at least, hopefully it will be fully fixed sometime soon. What sort of connection speeds do you normally get there?
We're not far from the exchange, so we get very good download speeds, around 7 Mbit/s. Upload speed is normally around 450 Kbit/s; it's currently less than a quarter of that, but at least it's working OK at that speed at the moment.
Steve