Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release 3.11.4 (build 3133) - 25 May 2021
Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

If you are interested in supporting Cumulus then maybe you would like to contribute to the maintenance of the Wiki? This need not take hours of your time - just a half hour here and there can make a big difference, particularly if many people are doing this. Any contributions are very welcome, whether they involve new content or editing of existing content. It will be very helpful to current and future users of Cumulus software if the Wiki is kept well-maintained and current. If you are interested then please contact forum user saratogaWX and ask for a Wiki account.

Rainfall Intensity

Talk about the weather
nking
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10

Rainfall Intensity

Post by nking »

I have been searching for a definitive guide for describing rainfall intensity – along the lines of the recognised Beaufort scale. All I have found so far is the following:-

Very light rain (Drizzle) describes rainfall with a precipitation rate of less than 0.25 millimetres (0.0098 in) per hour.
Light rain describes rainfall which falls at a rate of between 0.25 millimetres (0.0098 in) and 1 millimetre (0.039 in) per hour.
Moderate rain describes rainfall with a precipitation rate of between 1 millimetre (0.039 in) and 4 millimetres (0.16 in) per hour.
Heavy rain describes rainfall with a precipitation rate of between 4 millimetres (0.16 in) and 16 millimetres (0.63 in) per hour.
Very heavy rain terminology can be used when the precipitation rate is between 16 millimetres (0.63 in) and 50 millimetres (2.0 in) per hour.
Extreme rain (Cloud Burst/Downpour) can describe rainfall with precipitation rates exceeding 50 millimetres (2.0 in) per hour.

Is there a universal accepted scale or is it country specific?

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Rainfall Intensity

Post by steve »

I think that like most of these things, there's no universal standard. The UK Met Office use the following:

For Drizzle (= rain drops less than 0.5 mm diameter (!))

Slight = negligible run off from roofs
Moderate = up to 1 mm/hr
Heavy = more than 1 mm/hr

For rain other than showers:

Slight = less than 0.5 mm/hr
Moderate = 0.5 to 4 mm/hr
Heavy = more than 4 mm/hr

For showers:

Slight = 0 to 2 mm/hr
Moderate = 2 to 10 mm/hr
Heavy = 10 to 50 mm/hr
Violent = more than 50 mm/hr
Steve

nking
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

Thanks Steve. I tried a search on the MO site and all I got was data concerning radar rain intensity etc. What's your secret for searching the MO as you always seem to find just what's needed ;)

Would you post the link? I hope others may also post links as it will be intersting to see how the definitions/terms differ.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Here's the document I got it from: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/l ... heet03.pdf

There are a number of other useful documents there: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/l ... heets.html
Steve

DaveNZ
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Post by DaveNZ »

The definition I know of for heavy rain is at least 7.6mm/hr.

For my site I use

>0.0 light rain/drizzle
>2.5 moderate
>7.5 heavy
>20 very heavy
>50 torrential

Some of it is based on actual descriptions of rain rates I found online; some is just picked by me.
For my location rain rates above 20mm/hr are achieved probably about half the time it rains (though not sustained for long, usually)