Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New Record? Post here.

Talk about the weather
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: New Record? Post here.

Post by RayProudfoot »

@freddie, very informative, thank you. :clap:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

My barometer has hit 956.3 so far today 2nd Nov 2023, lowest Ive had (so far) since 2005!

Stuart
LindaFNM
Weather Station: Ecowitt
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Post by LindaFNM »

Thank you for the useful info. My minimum pressure was 955.2 at 5:45 this morning and I live very close to Bournemouth. We were very lucky being so close to the centre I think as the wind wasn’t anything like as bad as I’d feared, max gust only 30mph.
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

My barometer has just started to creep up now (957.4hpa).

Stuart
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

LindaFNM wrote: Thu 02 Nov 2023 10:14 am Thank you for the useful info. My minimum pressure was 955.2 at 5:45 this morning and I live very close to Bournemouth. We were very lucky being so close to the centre I think as the wind wasn’t anything like as bad as I’d feared, max gust only 30mph.
Yes, the actual track of the low was about 20 miles further south than the model forecasts suggested.
Freddie
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

953.9 is my new record.
Bridger
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 11 Home

Post by Bridger »

I'm not too far from Wareham and 953.9 is also my new record - about 40 minutes after yours.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

The highest annual rainfall of 40.26” in 2012 was broken here this evening with another 45 days of 2023 remaining.

http://www.cheadlehulmeweather.co.uk/record.htm
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Mine was broken some time ago and I am now 25% higher than my previous record, but my Burnham-on-Sea records only go back 4 years.

This has a lot to do with it !!

David
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Interesting all those British records, yes. So what is it in the Netherlands? In terms of rain it is pretty bad: the West and North West is almost inundated with saturated soils and pumping stations on continuous duty. If they were not there or would be deprived of energy we would have been flooded from the inside (i.s.o. what everybody is expecting: from the outside). And that is without the rivers (Rhine and Meuse) on the rise. The line north of SW to NE is approaching 200 mm having already had some 200 mm in October where some 70-80 mm would be normal. My own station recorded the longest wet period so far of 33 days (the 34th day is today) and so far no stop is in sight. OK, I only have a series of 4 years :?

But that is not the only story about this year. From 17 May - 19 June I recorded the longest dry period of 34 days. Dryness is dangerous as well because the waterlevels drop and that causes the bogs to shrink (the peat settles or the peat compacts). One way or another the weather changes cause havoc everywhere.

A recent study has been made on how to deal with sea level rise of 3 meters. It causes a serious problem in the Low Lands by the Sea (of which the UK also has areas). The study focussed on the impact of reconstructing the dykes. But - although not yet outspoken - I already read elsewhere that evacuation of the Low Lands are already seriously discussed privately (inside chambers).

Rain is a symptom and long rain periods have been seen before but it is the context of multiple extremes which cause concern.
Weather is the thermometer of the climate change.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Strange isn't it, I'm thinking is my rain gauge faulty? This year so far hasn't even appeared in my top 10 at 748.5 mm. In tenth place at the moment is 2020 with 807 mm.
freddie

Post by freddie »

Same here Mark, it has been quite localised. My yearly total is sat at 652 mm. The average annual total is 795 mm, so still quite a way to go and I will be surprised if it is exceeded. Drier than average months have been the thing here this year (6 out of 11 months below normal), with February having only 12% of expected. There have been wet months - March, July, September and October - but the dry month deficits are higher than the wet month surpluses. Like Hans, if it rains today this will be the 34th consecutive day with rain recorded. Also like Hans I had a 29 day dry spell in May and June.
Freddie
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

mcrossley wrote: Mon 20 Nov 2023 11:21 am Strange isn't it, I'm thinking is my rain gauge faulty? This year so far hasn't even appeared in my top 10 at 748.5 mm. In tenth place at the moment is 2020 with 807 mm.
Hi Mark, I often compare our readings and do feel your station is under-recording. I know you've stopped uploading to WU but it is a useful way of comparing readings from nearby stations. Given our stations are only 4 miles apart I'm surprised at the significant difference. I suppose mine could be over recording but it's only 2 years old so you would hope it's accurate.

There's a station in Handforth using Davis kit and his readings are close to mine. IWILMS14
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Post by AndyKF650 »

Well from sunny Jersey the rain has not really stopped for the past 21 days, some sunshine in the month but not a lot.

The total rain so far this month is 206.6mm out of an annual rainfall to date of 806.6mm and that is after February and June being unusually dry months. the normal average rain for the year to the end of November is 740mm. Needless to say every where is very soggy and the reservoirs are filling nicely. That said we have had a couple of dry years recently and prior to that we regularly had above average annual rainfall.

I suppose the other indicator of a changing climate is the temperature and we are consistently about 2.3C above the 10 year norm for each month this year. I cannot remember when we last had a frost and snow is something that only happens every 15 years or so.
freddie

Post by freddie »

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/c ... omaly-maps

This page is useful for an areal assessment of where has been wet or dry. Select the anomaly chart from the drop-down, select the rainfall parameter and step through the months for this year. You can see how dry February, May, June and August have been over large areas, with the months of January, April and September being close to average. Which only leaves March, July and October which were wet. This lines up with what I've seen from my station. I don't know how this month will pan out - I've had 56 mm so far (average around 80) which is about 70% of normal. The forecast isn't suggesting anything spectacular so I guess it will end up drier than average. December is going to have to be something special for it to end up a wet year here.
Freddie