Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Battery life

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Re: Battery life

Post by Orion »

Gadget show battery Test
bit of a surprise winner me thinks
http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/vid ... -batteries
suspect AA Batt`s would have similar results
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

GlynH wrote:the second set of Duracell Ultra batteries I replaced them with only lasted a matter of weeks
Hi,

It seems unlikely that even cheap batteries would fail that quickly. Did you try removing and replacing the batteries in the receiver (maybe several times needed) in case the receiver had dropped out of synchronisation? It only operates for a very brief "window" once it (thinks it) is synchronised with the transmitter.

The most likely cause is corroded battery contacts. If you do "recover" the transmitter can you check whether the batteries really are dead? However, note that a simple "open circuit" voltage measurement can be misleading, it really needs some load to be put on the battery. The simplest test may be to see if the batteries work well in another device which uses AA cells.

The only reason I can see for batteries to fail that quickly (assuming that they're not "fakes") is if the outdoor unit software crashes and switches on the transmitter permanently (it normally only runs for about 0.1% of the time). Several people have complained of short battery life but never seem to come back to confirm that the cells really were dead (or admit that they weren't).

Cheers, Alan.
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

Another possibility is that the replacement batteries were actually quite old - maybe sitting on a store shelf or back room for a year or more before purchase. A year or two is the best you can expect even when sealed in the original packaging.

Duracell Ultra is branded on a wide range of battery types - did you use alkalines, "heavy duty", or rechargable of some type?
cutter
Weather Station: WH1080 & La Crosse WS2800
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by cutter »

The first lot of batteries lasted 13 month ,put new lot in lasted 3 week so I thought right follow the advice on here and put brand new 10 year Lithium in,lasted 3 week, so I took the external battery temperature sender unit apart even though its not made too could not see anything wrong ( I am not an expert) put it back together fastened with electricians tape thinking I will have to bin it put new batteries in not 10 year ones and so far it has been working OK for 3 month.
Regards Alan :D
yorky
Weather Station: WA2081
Operating System: Win7 Pro 64bit

Post by yorky »

A question to those with solar panels that came with the unit. I have the WA2081 and its starting to loose contact a lot (was running for 5 months in the same spot ok).

We are getting into winter with not a lot of sun so I think the Alkaline 1.5V rechargeable x2 that came with it are dropping dead (will check them with multimeter).

Is there a way to disable the solar panel? As it goes through the rain sensors cable. I'm thinking of replacing with non-rechargeable 1.5V's as I'm not sure if it will go ok with normal 1.2V NiMh's?
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Orion wrote:Gadget show battery Test
bit of a surprise winner me thinks
http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/vid ... -batteries
suspect AA Batt`s would have similar results
Since this is not viewable outside the UK (stupid internet police!), perhaps you could tell us basically what the results were.
Mace
Weather Station: N96GY
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Mace »

The final places factored in the cost of the batteries which probably vary from place to place, also some of the batteries may not be available outside the UK. They had a single AAA cell driving a hamster in a ball and eliminated them as they stopped. The top 5 where: 5th place Duracell Ultra plus at 3 hours 43 minutes, 4th place Energizer Ultra + at 3 hours 50 minutes, 3rd place Halfords Longlife at 3 hours 25 minutes, 2nd place Maplin Extra Longlife 3 hours 10 mintues and 1st GP Ultra at 3 hours 47 minutes.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Just a quick update on battery life... My lithium AA cells have been in use over 3 years and are still going strong.
CrasHBoneS
Weather Station: PCE-FWS20

Post by CrasHBoneS »

I unplugged solar panel and removed original rechargeable batteries
Now I'm using Duracell UltraLithium NON-rechargeable batteries since March 2012

Better performance at extreme low temperatures (-20C) vs our ordinary Alkaline batterie, says Duracell web page

Keyz
Weather Station: WH1088 (actually WH1081/3)
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by Keyz »

At the risk of jinxing myself, I have Eveready Blue lithium batteries in my Tx, and it has been going for 3.5years. Will update when they go flat. Just doing it now as had a question to post in another thread. I'm not on solar sensors, and in a temperate climate which may help.
MM0RBZ
Weather Station: w-8681
Operating System: windows xp sp3

Post by MM0RBZ »

I know this is an old thread but still relevant. :-)
I've always suffered low battery life in my Watson w-8682.
Duracell alkalines usually last about a month, as do energiser 1.5v Lithiums.
So I tried two 2200mAh 18650 li-ion cells in parallel, (3.7v) this should last a couple of years but still only lasts about 6 weeks.
It's not the receiver losing synch, the li-ion protection circuit is dropping out due to over discharge and both my displays show the low bat indicator at midnight before the battery dies so it's definitely dropping to 2.5v
I have two displays, the original 8682 and also a 8681 "solar" (no solar info displayed as I'm not transmitting any).

I've now replaced the two 18650 cells with a 6v 2.5W solar cell charging a single 18650 cell through a basic charge regulator circuit.
Will see how this goes but it sounds like my transmitter is drawing too much current as other posters report 2 years and more from theirs.
It would be interesting to see a graph of average temperature vs battery life, are the long life folks living in warm climates?
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

It sounds as if your transmitter is simply "faulty" and obtaining a replacement could be a more "sensible" solution. I'm not familiar with "Watson" model numbers, but if it's 433 MHz, non-RCC, less than about 3 years old, then the "Maplin" (£15) might be suitable.

However, yours sounds so bad that it should be possible to measure what's happening. The transmitter should "sleep" for most of each 48 second cycle, draining little more current than the (approx) 30 uA when the Anemometer reed contacts are closed. A few seconds before each transmission (red LED flashing) the micro should measure the temperature and wind direction (which should still be only of the order of 1 mA) and then the transmission itself should be a pulse of around 20 mA for less than one second. Note that the transmitter does apply the battery voltage almost continuously to the wind cable, so it's also worth checking with this cable unplugged (in case there is a cable/sensor fault).

I'm rather concerned by your "fixes" because the transmitter is only intended to run on 3 volts. The nominal voltage of a Lithium (Li-Poly) cell is 3.7 volts, but the voltage on charge should be 4.25 volts (+/- 50 mV). I'm not sure what you mean by a "basic charging circuit", but Lithium cells require a precision regulator to this specification. That may explain why your much higher capacity cells don't appear to help.

For solar charging these transmitters, I recommend a single "Lithium Iron Phosphate" (LiFePO4) cell, which has a nominal 3.2 volt rating and is more tolerant of misuse. Normally a single AA (as sold as a spare part for some of the better "Solar garden Lights") with a placeholder (short-circuit) in the other half of the battery bay, should be sufficient. But for use in Scotland (with poor winter daylight), particularly with your higher current drain, a larger cell with a (3.6 volt) regulator might be required.

Cheers, Alan.
watsonm
Weather Station: N96GY -but like Triggers Broom!!
Operating System: Raspberry Pi4 Vers:11 Bullseye

Post by watsonm »

Hi,
Hoping people still scan these threads.

I have the Maplins N96GY Fine Offset setup. I have been running it for 5 or 6 years (possibly more) and it absolutely eats batteries.
If a set of new Duracells Plus Alkalines last more than a month I am happy.
The light in the transmitter flashes as expected and I wondered if anyone can recommend any tests or checks to see if there is a problem.
Tried using Amazon basic rechargeables recently and thought I may have fused the wind speed magnetic reed together (higher current with rechargeable???)
Fortunately I had refurbished an old windspeed unit after it stuck due to 5 or 6 years use!! Bit apprehensive to try the rechargeables again.. :shock:

Thinking of trying some lithium (rechargeable and non rechargeable) to see if that helps.
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

I don't think I can add anything much to my previous post; I wouldn't recommend anything other than 2 x NiMH, or 2 x NiZn, or 1 x LiFePO4 (plus a "placeholder") AA cells, if Alkalines cannot be used. The Wind reed switch should have a current limiting resistor and can be replaced by a good quality part from perhaps CPC or RS if necessary (same as in the rain sensor). The Replacement anemometers are now ridiculously expensive Maplin used to sell them for £2.50) :( .

BTW have you "found" the (very long) "... insides of..." sticky threads at the head of this Fine Offset section?

Cheers, Alan.
watsonm
Weather Station: N96GY -but like Triggers Broom!!
Operating System: Raspberry Pi4 Vers:11 Bullseye

Post by watsonm »

Alan,

Yes I have perused the " inside of " posts Thanks...

The AMazon Basics rechargeable is NIMH so I might try it again.

However after reading this thread I am tempted by these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-b ... L5B7Y&th=1

My receiver is some distance away through a new build house wall which has some form of electro shielding covering the inter wall insulation.
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor