Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

ftp problem

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

jsel
Weather Station: Davis VP
Operating System: Pi Zero 2 W bullseye

ftp problem

Post by jsel »

running 3278 on Pi Zero W. All works OK except ftp, at the 5 minute interval it uploads to the website, but only some files. The files it does upload are a random selection each time, for the others in the ftplog it says FTP[INT] error uploading/path/file, FTP[INT] Inner Exception timed out tying to connect, because it shows a directory listing between each file successfully uploaded looks as though it connects for each file but sometimes doesnt make it, any ideas please?
John
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: ftp problem

Post by mcrossley »

This was supposed to have been fixed in version of FluentFTP that 3.28.1 uses :(
jsel

Post by jsel »

Mark
this only seems to be happening with the site I upload to Ionos, my other site is uploaded to Fasthosts and I dont see the same problem, both use 3278 on a Pi Zero W. Both use simple ftp, the troublesome one is connected to a VP2, the other to VP
John
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I'll have to follow-up with the authors. Meantime, you will have to revert that instance.

Before you do though, could you switch on FTP and debug logging. I'll need the FTP log file to go back to them.
jsel

Post by jsel »

Mark
I cleared my website and my Pi and started again from square one and so far all seems to be OK, so maybe something had got corrupted, fingers crossed, thanks for your time
John
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Phew! fingers crossed that was it then.
jsel

Post by jsel »

Mark unfortunately have the problem again. When running the system at home it performs perfectly, my broadband is TalkTalk 100mbs, however when I take the system back to my sailing club where it belongs it ftp's some files and FTP Error Timeout on others quite randomly. The only change is that at the sailing club the broadband is Virgin Media 400mbs. I cant imagine for the life of me what difference the ISP makes. I attach a sample FTP log File of one upload, and you will see the odd errors
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

It looks like the same error that was supposed to be fixed. Unfortunately, the ftp log file does not contain the initial log-on to the FTP server. I really need to see that to be sure it is same issue - and so revert back to the FluentFTP authors.

So at home and the sailing club you are FTPing to the same destination server?
jsel

Post by jsel »

In both cases the ftp is to Ionos at johnselby.uk
At present the main unit is back in the sailing club and uploads to johnselby.uk/wscweather1, this is also the address used when the unit was at home, although sometimes at home I also used another directory johnselby.uk/wscweather so I could compare different things
At present I am now also running another identical unit at johnselby.uk/wscweather (It is only a Davis Vantage Pro whereas the main unit is a Davis Vantage Pro 2)
I have checked the files actually update every 5 minutes in all instances, its just the one at the sailing club on VM doesnt always ftp properly all the files.
Attached the beginning of the logfile at start up when the file is generated, and the first connection is made.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Thanks, that log is a bit unusual. The FTP client asks every server after login what FTP features it supports. In this case the server responds...

Code: Select all

2024-01-23 14:30:06.512 Command:  FEAT
2024-01-23 14:30:06.513 Status:   Waiting for response to: FEAT
2024-01-23 14:30:06.570 Response: 500 'FEAT': command unrecognized. [56ms]
So, it does not support the features command!
That leaves the FTP client with no option but to use the basic FTP commands and does not try the use the file exists command but does a full directory listing and tests if the file is present in that list. The problem is the process seems to timeout before it completes (to tight a timeout value in FTP client maybe?)

First, I'd ask the FTP provider why their server does not support the FEAT command. It also does not seem to send a program version string, which FTP clients also use to customise how they work against different FTP programs and versions.
jsel

Post by jsel »

Mark
Ionos have failed to reply to my query about FEAT, however one of their help pages suggests they do use it, see attached
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

your log says different however.

I'm using ftp here from cumulusmx to another linux box. FEAT works with cumulus and my FTP server.

2024-01-28 20:10:01.814 Status:   Waiting for response to: USER ***
2024-01-28 20:10:01.819 Response: 331 Password required for *** [4ms]
2024-01-28 20:10:01.819 Command:  PASS ***
2024-01-28 20:10:01.819 Status:   Waiting for response to: PASS ***
2024-01-28 20:10:01.842 Response: 230 User *** logged in [23ms]
2024-01-28 20:10:01.842 Command:  FEAT
2024-01-28 20:10:01.842 Status:   Waiting for response to: FEAT
2024-01-28 20:10:01.862 Response: 211-Features:
Response: CLNT
Response: EPRT
Response: EPSV
Response: HOST
Response: LANG en-US*
Response: MDTM
Response: MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;
Response: MFMT
Response: MLST modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;
Response: REST STREAM
Response: SIZE
Response: TVFS
Response: UTF8

you log showed:

2024-01-23 14:30:06.513 Status:   Waiting for response to: FEAT
2024-01-23 14:30:06.570 Response: 500 'FEAT': command unrecognized. [56ms]
meaning the ftp server you connected to, seems not to recognise that command or it timed out. I've yet to see many users having issues with this. is there any other settings on the ionos end you can configure?

you you have any of the cmx ftp advanced settings enabled by chance?

Screenshot 2024-01-28 204733.png
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

jsel

Post by jsel »

Thanks for the idea, non of the advanced settings are set. Real mystery is that when I have the entire system at home, depite FEAT not being recognised, it all uploads perfectly, my home broadband is TalkTalk 150mbs. However when I return the whole system to my sailing club where it belongs I get the FEAT not recognised timing out and random file uploads also timing out. The only difference is that the broadband is now Virgin Media 400mbs, yet I cannot imagine how a different ISP can cause the problem. In both cases all 20/30 files are uploaded (or attempted) in less than 30 seconds total. In both cases the upload is to the same domain/directory at Ionos
John
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

It's probably tripping over some sort of timeout in MX. Despite the sailing club having an advertised faster speed it appears to be acting like a slower connection. Maybe Virgin Media deprioritise FTP traffic?

I would get on to Ionos and ask about why the FTP server is configured not to use common options. Perhaps raise a support ticket? That appears to be the root of the problem.
Freddie
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Maybe Virgin Media deprioritise FTP traffic?
I use a Virgin Media and do not have these problems so I do not think this is the case. I use SFTP not plain FTP as my ISP will not allow connections that are not secure.
David