Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weatherlink 6152 to CumulusMX

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
GeoTentacle
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Weatherlink 6152 to CumulusMX

Post by GeoTentacle »

I'm getting a bit frustrated in attempting to configure CMX to pull over data from my new Davis Weatherlink Console 6313. I have tried every menu option to do so, and none of the tiles that appear on the CMX Dashboard are populated with my weather data. I suspect that my "Basic" subscription to WLL is the culprit. I also have a couple of older VP2 6152 consoles that I still use. One has an old Davis datalogger which I use to archive my data to a laptop via a USB connection. Since I have had no luck in getting CMX to connect to my new console, I was hoping to go "old school" and see if I can use the legacy Weatherlink program on my laptop to use with CMX? Is this possible? In the CMX settings menu, there is an option to pull data over TCP/IP, but there is no provision for USB...only serial. I have had limited success with getting CMX to connect with my Meteobridge NANO, but it will not populate the "pressure" tile for some reason. Any suggestions woujld be appreciated.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Re: Weatherlink 6152 to CumulusMX

Post by ConligWX »

point CMX to the cloud (weatherlink.com). CMX does not read any data from the Davis "Color Tablet" console. the console reports to weatherlink.com, and CMX can read the data via an API. set you station type to "Davis WeatherLink Cloud (WLL/WLC)" same as station model. then below that set the API for the Davis WeatherLink Cloud (WLL/WLC).

CMX does not read weatherlink.com software either from what I understand. it reads data loggers, like the Davis USB/Serial/WLIP and WLL data loggers.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

Cortmalaw
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Cortmalaw »

The 6152 (mentioned in your title) is a Davis Vantage Pro2. TheWeatherlink Console 6313 (mentioned in your body text) is something completely different. Have you got both?

For the 6313: Cumulus MX will pull data from your weatherlink online account. This should work, and means you need not have the console and PC located anywhere near each other (just needs both to be online on the internet). But you may not be able to access all your data due to the intermediate 'filters' of the weatherlink servers (others can better advise what you might lose).

For the 6152, with the datalogger you say you have, you can connect by USB to your laptop and Cumulus MX can access the data directly. You should use that method rather than putting the old Weatherlink program in between. In Cumulus MX, select Settings / Station Settings / Station Type as "Davis Vantage Pro2/Vue". Lower down the page you'll need to set connection type to "Serial" (rather than TCP/IP) and tell it which serial port your PC has assigned the datalogger USB data connection to (mine is /dev/ttyUSB0).

Good luck!
GeoTentacle

Post by GeoTentacle »

Cortmalaw,
The advice you give in your last paragraph regarding the 6152 seems to be what I need to do in order to have CMX recognize my USB port (running the Davis datalogger) as a COM port. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to identify a USB with its associated COM port number, and I don't have the skills or inclination to make major changes to my system.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

GeoTentacle wrote:
I also have a couple of older VP2 6152 consoles that I still use. One has an old Davis datalogger which I use to archive my data to a laptop via a USB connection. Since I have had no luck in getting CMX to connect to my new console, I was hoping to go "old school" and see if I can use the legacy Weatherlink program on my laptop to use with CMX? Is this possible? In the CMX settings menu, there is an option to pull data over TCP/IP, but there is no provision for USB...only serial.
Cortmalaw wrote:
For the 6152, with the datalogger you say you have, you can connect by USB to your laptop and Cumulus MX can access the data directly. You should use that method rather than putting the old Weatherlink program in between. In Cumulus MX, select Settings / Station Settings / Station Type as "Davis Vantage Pro2/Vue". Lower down the page you'll need to set connection type to "Serial" (rather than TCP/IP) and tell it which serial port your PC has assigned the datalogger USB data connection to (mine is /dev/ttyUSB0).
GeoTentacle wrote:
The advice you give in your last paragraph regarding the 6152 seems to be what I need to do in order to have CMX recognize my USB port (running the Davis datalogger) as a COM port. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to identify a USB with its associated COM port number, and I don't have the skills or inclination to make major changes to my system.
You can likely search your PC settings and see what devices are assigned, or...
If you can run WeatherlinkPC program you may be able to get the COM port number from that and then use that COMnumber in CumulusMX - i.e. WeatherlinkPC > Setup > Communications Port > (make sure Serial is selected) try Auto Detect or a COM# and "Test" until you get it working, then you can stop WeatherlinkPC and run CumulusMX. Remember, you can only run one program at the same time with the USB logger, either WeatherlinkPC or Cumulus, run one then stop it and run the other.

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
GeoTentacle

Post by GeoTentacle »

Paul,

Thank you for all of the good suggestions! I must admit that I forgot about not being able to double task the USB input. Jumping back to my Davis 6313 console question: In your experience, have you found that the "Basic" WLL subscription still allows access to the data flow from the console? In my online searches, I have seen comments by many others who say that the level of subscription does not matter; however, when I have tried to run CMX using my WLL (and associated API v2 Keys), it fails to connect. I have chosen to allow CMX to auto detect my station ID number, but, when the CMD window is open and initializing CMX, I receive the error message indicating that my station number is not accessible. Of course, no data is subsequently displayed. I understand that with a Basic subscription no historical data can be downloaded, but it seems that current data import is also restricted.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

In your experience, have you found that the "Basic" WLL subscription still allows access to the data flow from the console?
WLL ? (WeatherLink Live), did you mean weatherlink.com?

Basic is fine for 1 minute current data updates.
however, when I have tried to run CMX using my WLL (and associated API v2 Keys), it fails to connect
What station type did you have configured in MX? It should be "Davis WeatherLink Cloud (WLL/WLC)"
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
Jumping back to my Davis 6313 console question: In your experience, have you found that the "Basic" WLL subscription still allows access to the data flow from the console?
A bit of oxymoron... The WLL and the new console (WLC 6313) are total separate and independent, and each can upload to WL.com but to separate WL.com accounts. The WLL is a logger without a display as well as an upload device to WL.com The WLC is a display console and also can upload to WL.com.
I don't have the 6313 console but do have 2 WL.com accounts; one being updated by IPLogger, and the other with WLL, with one Pro account which is usually the WLL account but I can change the Pro account between the two.

CumulusMX can access the WLL live data so nearly realtime, and CMX will also access the WL.com account for additional data (I think every 1 minute). In CMX station type this should be set as "Davis Weatherlink Live" (not the Davis Cloud type). With a WL.com Pro account CMX can access the archived data at a CMX restart at the logging interval set in WL.com (default is 15 min but can be set at 5 min). With a basic account there is no access to archived data at a CMX restart.

I have successfully tested CMX with station type set as "Davis Weatherlink Cloud (WLL/WLC)" and from my WL.com WLL "Pro" account data was accessed at the 5-minute interval. I would expect it would still work if this account was "basic" but then at 15 minute interval and no archival at a CMX restart. This has the API Key v2 and API Secret v2. Normally you would not use this station type with the WLL device as data is accessible directly to CMX from the WLL device. But you would use it if you only had the WLC device as that data is not directly accessible from the device so must use the "cloud".
In my online searches, I have seen comments by many others who say that the level of subscription does not matter; however, when I have tried to run CMX using my WLL (and associated API v2 Keys), it fails to connect. I have chosen to allow CMX to auto detect my device number, but, when the CMD window is open and initializing CMX, I receive the error message indicating that my device number is not accessible.
With a WLL device you must use the Station type "Weatherlink Live", and then also the Network Settings and Weatherlink.com API details. I don't know why yours is not working. I can't recall if you have provided your WL.com station URL but that may be helpful to see what is being uploaded.

Also, if you have could post the latest CMXC MXdiags file after a restart that may also provide some further information.

edit: Mark has provided more specific info

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
GeoTentacle

Post by GeoTentacle »

I apologize for all of the confusion in my use of terminology. I was using WLL and WL.com interchangeably, and I know now that they are separate entities. I am using my 6313 display console with WL.com under the Basic account. I have tried literally all of the configuration options in the first time setup wizard menu settings and none of them have displayed any data. All tiles are displaying zero values regardless of the settings I use. In every Davis-specific configuration field I have tried (including "Davis Weatherlink Live"), I receive the red command prompt text message "Error 403: Access is not authorized for station ______" The station number is a 6 digit number that was supposedly auto-detected by set-up. The last command line always reads: "normal running" in green text. The error message may be referring to a failed attempt to access and download historical data from WL.com, but, whatever the case, I am not getting any data in my dashboard tiles. My WL.com account displays all of my data fine on its own site, so maybe I should just be satisfied with that. CumulusMX is beginning to feel too much like real work... :roll:
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Please, find the latest log file 20240115-nnnn.txt in the /MXdiags folder, and attach it to your reply here, thanks.

Honestly, I should not be hard to get this going, but I think some confusion about what you have etc hasn't helped.
GeoTentacle

Post by GeoTentacle »

Thanks, Mark. The "CMX Diag.docx" file is attached.

Geo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

That shows you have the station configured as Davis WeatherLink Live.

As above it should be "Davis WeatherLink Cloud (WLL/WLC)"

Btw, it's a lot easier for both of us if you just post the original .txt log file rather than converting it into a Word document.
GeoTentacle

Post by GeoTentacle »

Last edited by GeoTentacle on Sun 04 Feb 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Ok, this now indicates you have the station as type (WLL/WLC)
Mark may know better, but I have read from JohnD that not all Weatherlink.com sites are the same, each is dependent on the source device for the data. For my testing of the CMX (WLL/WLC) station type I used my WL.com WLL account API information, and that worked well. I know of another WLL user who had some problem with CMX connecting to his WLL but WLL was still updating to WL.com, so he used the (WLL/WLC) station type and that works well for him. Both of these have the Pro subscription.

From the Weatherlink.com Account Information:

Code: Select all

API Token v1
Use for WeatherLink data loggers (WeatherLinkIP, WeatherLinkUSB, and WeatherLinkSER), and Vantage Connect.
API Token v1:  BE3-----------------------------8D2
API V1 DocumentationGenerate New v1 Token

API Key v2
Use for AirLink, EnviroMonitor, WeatherLink Live, WLIP, WLNAS, and VC.
API Key v2:  ojd-----------------------------b8d
API Secret:  y95-----------------------------wof
API V2 Documentation
and this is the same in both of my accounts, one with IP logger and the other with WLL. I don't see the Weatherlink Console named in this account information, and possibly because I don't have the 6313 console, or (likely) Davis hasn't gotten around to edit that.

@ GeoTentacle
For your WL.com site Account information, is the "Use for..." the same as I have shown above or is the WLC also named under the API v2?

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

That log file is odd, it does not start polling for current data.

I think you may be the first person to try this new station type++ who does not have a Pro subscription, and have uncovered an issue. I'll look into this tomorrow.

++ It was only introduced to Cumulus MX recently, and very few people have tried it so far.