Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis Vantage Vue to update Cumulus

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
bumpy
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Davis Vantage Vue to update Cumulus

Post by bumpy »

Hello
After again.
I now have a problem with my Davis Vantage Vue with Davis Weatherlink USB logger which has abruptly ceased to upload data to Cumulus although the Console is updating and displaying correctly. A few days ago, in common with my normal practice, I closed Cumulus and then switched off the PC. Data was being received normally at this point. The following morning I restarted the PC and opened Cumulus as usual. From that moment it became apparent that no data was being transferred and the archive data I expected to be downloaded, didn't appear. My initial concern was triggered watching the download when instead of the message downloading archive and a percentage downloading, all I saw was downloading archive followed by dowloading archive twice but no percentages: hence no archive download. Cumulus told me it was running normally. The Dashboard continues to show the correct time and last Cumulus update which coincide but the last Station update is a series of zeros. No current data is shown on being updated and no gauges are working but the records and graphs pages are being populated with historic data.

The Latest errors page tells me repeatedly that WakeVP:***VP2 not woken.

I have taken the batteries out of the Console, removed the logger and left them without power for several hours and then reinserted batteries and logger. In the the interim I had closed Cumulus and restarted it. Result: no apparent contact between console/logger and Cumulus via PC.
Is it a possibilty that the logger has failed. Having done some research I can't find much infomration, if any, about checking whether a logger has failed.
Any suggestions please?
Tony
www.farleighmeadows.co.uk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Davis Vantage Vue to update Cumulus

Post by mcrossley »

Sorry to say but it does like a logger failure :(

There is no response to any type of input from MX.

Just double check the COM port hasn't changed from 3

It looks like you also have a problem with your Jan log file...

Code: Select all

Error at line 14182 of data\Jan24log.txt
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Do you still have the original WeatherLink for Windows app? You could try that, though I do not have much hope.

And the usual cable checks etc.
bumpy
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by bumpy »

Hello Mark
I'd already noticed the Jan24 log error and that has been corrected.

I think the only way forward is to buy another logger. I cannot recall when I bought the logger but it must be soon after I bought the Vantage Vue system and thus it must date back to around 2014 or so. Not a bad innings but would have preferred it to have carried on a bit longer. Not keen on paying over £200 for a new Davis logger though. I have seen through Prodata a rather HeathRobinson looking logger for about £150 so I might give this a go.
Thank you for your help.

I have resorted to giving the existing logger a few sharp taps in the hope that it might resurrect but alas no! A sharp tap by my father on the old black and white 405 line 2 channel tv in the mid 1950s usually worked a treat but unfortunately this trick doesn't work with modern technology!

Thanks again.

Tony
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

If you just want a straight forward USB logger, a user called belfryboy used to make a clone one for a reasonable price. You buy direct from him, I have one and it works fine. I don't know if he still makes them....

https://belfryboyweatherbits.blogspot.c ... ogger.html
Cortmalaw
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Cortmalaw »

I second that the BelfryBoy clone works well and has never let me down.

If he's not making/selling them any more, I also have a real, genuine Davis logger that is presently not in use, if you'd like to try or buy it from me!