Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Am unable to upload data to website.

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Dewcal
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win 11 Pro

Am unable to upload data to website.

Post by Dewcal »

Using CumulusMX (v3263) as a service on Windows 11 PC in C:\cumulusMX. Have uploaded supplied "website" to a sub directory on webspace via ftp on FileZilla - http://calico.co.uk/weather/ - a webspace I have been using for some 15 years....

Have completed "Internet Settings" and, so far, nothing appears to have been uploaded.... despite refreshing and clearing cache using Firefox.

As I am not hosting the data for my own web server, am I correct in assuming that I do not need to tick "Enable copy of standard files"?

FileZilla is asking for "use explicit FTP over TLS if available" - is this equivalent to "Use SSL/TLS for FTP"? I do not want to use "plain, unencrypted ftp"!

Have pressed "Upload, copy now" and apparently it has been invoked but nothing appearing online. The ftp logs do not show any errors.

Any help in where I go from here just to get the data online would be very much appreciated! Despite trying Cumulous several years ago, this is my first serious attempt to get it running!
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Am unable to upload data to website.

Post by freddie »

Could you attach your latest diags logfile to a reply to this topic, please? They are found in the MXdiags folder of your MX installation.
Freddie
Dewcal

Post by Dewcal »

Freddie, many thanks for response. I have found the following files in MXdiags - do you want hem all? I ask as none bear the name "diags logfile". Excuse my lack of understanding of the CumulusMX syntax!

20231209-204221.txt
20231209-204707.txt
20231209-210103.txt
20231209-210240.txt
FTP_20231210-150733.txt
ServiceConsoleLog.txt

Thanks again.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ Cumulus1 / CummulusMX
Operating System: Windows8 / Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
As I am not hosting the data for my own web server, am I correct in assuming that I do not need to tick "Enable copy of standard files"?
Correct, local copy is not mandatory.
There is both an FTP and a PHP upload option in CMX internet settings. If FTP upload is a problem for you, but generally it works very well, you can use the PHP upload.

If using the PHP upload you will need to add the "secret" code from your Internet settings to your \webfiles\upload.php file and then upload the file to your website.

Code: Select all

// *** YOU NEED TO CHANGE THIS VALUE ***
// Our signature secret $secret = 'change_this_to_the_value_in_CMX';

Select the Upload Protocol to use: 3 - Use PHP upload
 Select the protocol required by your web host

Upload URL: http://yoursite.com/yourremotefolder/upload.php
 Enter the URL of the upload script on your server

PHP Upload Secret: ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
 Enter a complex string used to generate PHP upload signatures. Cumulus will generate a unique string for you. You will need to enter this string into the webfiles/upload.php file before uploading it to your web site

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www .komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.html

Dewcal

Post by Dewcal »

OK, think I am getting somewhere. Logs suggested that "websitedata.json" was not present on the host server. When I ftp that file to the weather subdirectory and press upload, data is revealed.

Now to understand how I missed uploading that file to start with and suspect there should be other files I need to manually upload. I notice that the "moon" is not showing and that the "gauges" page shows various errors.
Dewcal

Post by Dewcal »

Thanks Paul, seems that part of my problem was the lack of initial files on the server. ftp has worked fine for me over many years for all my other work but will investigate php for Cumulus.
Dewcal

Post by Dewcal »

Perhaps I spoke too soon.... Having managed to get some data to appear on the website, a forced upload has not changed any of the values for the last 2.5 hours!
The gauges page reports that the weather station is off line.
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

OK, think I am getting somewhere. Logs suggested that "websitedata.json" was not present on the host server. When I ftp that file to the weather subdirectory and press upload, data is revealed.
Now to understand how I missed uploading that file to start with and suspect there should be other files I need to manually upload
Perhaps I spoke too soon....
No need for files to be manually upload other than the one-time FTP of the contents of \CumulusNMX\webfiles folder. The websitedata.json is created from template file \CumulusMX\web\websitedataT json at each CMX interval and auto FTP as websitedata.json. The template file websitedataT.json should be in your \CumulusMX\web folder.

Zip and attach the latest MXdiags as freddie mentioned and maybe some clue in there - i.e. 20231210-xxxxxx .

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

Dewcal

Post by Dewcal »

Thanks again Paul,
Hopefully I will be attaching a zip file from al the files in my MXdiags folder and some of them will make sense to you.
I have tried using different ftp methods (other than plain) - usually I get that the certificate is not valid.
When trying PHP, I get that access is forbidden - despite adding the "secret" key in apostrophes.
I will chat to the technical support from my hosting company tomorrow.

Suspect I may be doing something very simple to screw it all up....yet it did upload once!

Out of curiosity, how many files should I actually need / have on the server that are not in the css / images/ js /lib / Reports folders?

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I would take a look in the Internet setting and see if all the Standard File Settings, Graph Settings etc have Create local and Upload ticked.
David
Dewcal

Post by Dewcal »

Thanks for commenting "water01".

Have looked in Internet settings and cannot see "Standard File Settings, Graph Settings etc have Create local and Upload ticked" - what have I missed here?

Under "general options / data visibility" only sensors I do not have are shown as hidden, everything else is "visible".
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Out of curiosity, how many files should I actually need / have on the server that are not in the css / images/ js /lib / Reports folders?
The full content of your \CumulusMX\webfiles should be FTP to your remote where you want your site to display from so you will have those 5 folders with all their content, and 14 files. At the CMX interval processing/uploading there will then also be the updated .json. The realtime files will be updated at your set realtime interval.

Your latest FTP log shows

2023-12-10 18:16:40.224 SFTP[Int]: Connecting using password authentication
2023-12-10 18:16:40.225 SFTP[Int]: CumulusMX Connecting to c6329466.myzen.co.uk on port 22
2023-12-10 18:17:01.274 SFTP[Int]: Error connecting SFTP - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
Then with using PHP upload there is some strange logging in the MXdiags file

<!--
	index.html		v:0.0.1		d:Feb 2021	Neil Thomas
	Last modified: 2022/11/20 16:28:39
	Page: 1 main panel plus a right sidebar
-->
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
	<head>
		<meta charset="utf-8">
		<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
		<meta name="description" content="weather data">
		<meta name="keywords" content="Cumulus, weather, data, weather station">
		<title>Cumulus MX</title>
It should all be quite straight-forward. If possible, I suggest remove everything from your remote where you want CumulusMX website to be. Reupload all the content of \CumulusMX\website folder. Check your CMX internet settings to make sure they are correct. And after a couple of interval update periods check/search your latest MXdiags file for errors. Maybe best to stop CMX and then restart so that you will have a new and cleaner MXDiags log file. You can also check the Dashboard > Utils > Latest errors to see what is happening.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

Dewcal

Post by Dewcal »

Thanks Paul,

Will give your suggestions a try and let you know - probably tomorrow.
Dewcal

Post by Dewcal »

Could not wait until tomorrow...

Deleted everything from the sub directory weather on my remote - ftp via FIleZilla as suggested and got the 14 files and 5 subdirectories - so far so good.
Enabled Internet settings for ftp and connections were made - however it appears that realtime.txt and realtimeguages.txt cannot be found to be uploaded as per the attached pdf segment.

Just in case I have missed it, where do I set the realtime interval please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Just in case I have missed it, where do I set the realtime interval please?
Internet settings > Interval Configuration > Real time interval settings

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+