Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

move pwsFWI to navbar

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

Stigian
Weather Station: 6242EU Vantage Vue
Operating System: Debian 12 (Bookworm)

move pwsFWI to navbar

Post by Stigian »

Hello,

is it possible to move the pwsFWI button from the title bar to the nav bar and how do I go about that?
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: move pwsFWI to navbar

Post by HansR »

Stigian wrote: Wed 15 Nov 2023 9:09 am Hello,

is it possible to move the pwsFWI button from the title bar to the nav bar and how do I go about that?
Haha... @sutne did ask me, already some time ago, to move it from the menu bar to the header so I did and nobody complained ;)
pwsFWI already is in the menu (Reports) but apparently you want it on the first menu level.

The reason was - if I remember well - that the menu on a portable device is a hamburger menu and access to the menu items is more complicated through the menu than through the header link.

I will look into parametrizing it in some logical and uncomplicated way. If it becomes too complex it will simply remain in the header. Default will remain in the header anyway.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4023+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Stigian

Post by Stigian »

I had hoped it would already be possible from what I saw at https://www.hoko-data.de/cwx/index.html :lol: There the menu items are also right-aligned
HansR

Post by HansR »

Stigian wrote: Wed 15 Nov 2023 11:24 am I had hoped it would already be possible from what I saw at https://www.hoko-data.de/cwx/index.html :lol: There the menu items are also right-aligned
Yes but that is april 2021 and he had constructed his multilingual site outside the configuration possibilities so modfying it became almost impossible without a lot of work for re-editing. And besides he used the old (system 1) user menu system.

So... technique has advanced and - system 2 of the usermenu - that makes it much easier to make the pwsFWI button configurable.
The right alignment now indicates totally outdated and in need of an upgrade 8-)

Find attached v6.21.5 beta 3 which makes the pwsFWI button configurable. If you add PwsfwiButtonInHeader=false to your [Website] section of cumulusutils.ini it will configure in the navbar just before the system led. The default for this parameter is true (placing the button in the header). Editing cumulusutils.ini yourself saves the labour of a second website run.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hans

Stigian

Post by Stigian »

Beautiful! exactly the way it should be.... thank you! :clap:
HansR

Post by HansR »

The wiki Website Generator, inifile and Dashboard pages have been modified
Hans

packman2008
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + WLL
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by packman2008 »

Sorry to come back to this one. I know this isn't possible at the moment, but is it something that could be considered in future?

At the moment we can choose whether to put the pwsFWI value in either the header or nav bar, but, in my opinion, this gives it a significance that may not be relevant in all locations or at all times. For example, it's winter here, and it seems wetter this winter than usual, so the only way you'd start a wildfire here at the moment is by using a lot of accelerant and I suspect it wouldn't even spread very far then. Even in summer it's pretty rare for conditions here to be so dry that wildfires are likely. By here, I mean within 20 miles of me...I know that there can be fires on the moors 30-40 miles away, but that's not local and my pwsFWI wouldn't necessarily indicate correctly for that area anyway.

I was about to ask if we could have a third option of 'not displayed at all', but then I thought maybe there's a better way. Could it be made to only display when it's above a configurable level, e.g. only display when it gets to 400? People can then choose at what level it's worth giving it more significance, and possibly in some locations, e.g. sub-arctic, it may never display at all.
Chris

https://blackpool.weather-watch.com/
CMX build 4018 ● CU 7.0.0b1 ● Davis VP2+WLL & Ecowitt GW1100 ● Core i5 Mini PC ● Windows 11 ● .Net 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

packman2008 wrote: Mon 08 Jan 2024 11:09 am I was about to ask if we could have a third option of 'not displayed at all', but [...] Could it be made to only display when it's above a configurable level [...] e.g. sub-arctic, it may never display at all.
Well, first of all, I like creative thinking and suggestions but... :)

There are some points to consider here:
  1. Nature fires occur everywhere. I would like to bring to mind the huge, almost unstoppable, fires in Siberia of recent years. Also our Norwegian user, much to his surprise, reached level Yelllow some time ago (accompanied with some fires along the railroad nearby). Even in the UK recently the S-E reached level Yellow recently and I challenge you to look at the EFFIS viewer at some times if you don't believe me (true, at the time of writing there is little to see there). The Sahara is about the only region where I think a fire index would not be so useful and maybe not in the centre of a large city.
  2. With the rise of temperature we get more rain at times but also more droughts. Wildfires are seen as belonging to the great dangers of climate change and you have to be prepared to see them in places where they were most unlikely in the past.
  3. Wildfire is - when occurring - a dangerous, spectacular and for nature a very important phenomenon. I speak from experience both theoretical (study) as practical (live around the corner of where I lived). So important that raising awareness is important. I regard this Fire Weather Index as my contribution to that awareness.
  4. Although not the first module I wrote (that was the Top10), it was the first when I decided to make something bigger than just for my own use and as such it also became a kind of my signature under (above) CUtils.
So, to say it short: I don't see your it happen very quickly that the pwsFWI will disappear from the CUtils website. If that is what you want but like some other features you will have to make your own site and use the liked features in a modular way.
Hans

packman2008
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + WLL
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by packman2008 »

Fair comments and as it is your 'baby' then you can obviously decide what does or doesn't happen with it.

I know the climate is changing so what happened in the past isn't a prediction of the future, but I took a look at FWI for my location using local data going back to 1979. It's only exceeded 250 on three occasions in 45 years (July 1991 - 251.7, August 1995 - 256.4 and July 2006 286.7). It will be interesting to see if there's an uptick over the coming years/decades.
Chris

https://blackpool.weather-watch.com/
CMX build 4018 ● CU 7.0.0b1 ● Davis VP2+WLL & Ecowitt GW1100 ● Core i5 Mini PC ● Windows 11 ● .Net 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

Nice research, thanks. I am as curious as you about the uptick. Let's talk in 45 years on the statistics ;)
Hans