Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Dashboard wind gauge

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

SteveR
Weather Station: Weatherduino 4Pro
Operating System: Raspberry pi Zero2

Dashboard wind gauge

Post by SteveR »

Hi,
Quite windy today so I was looking at the wind speeds on the Dashboard and noticed it wasn't showing gust speeds. My station updates the wind readings every 2.5 seconds so the needle moves almost continuously. The 10 min average wind speed was 39.9 mph but the gusts were 60 mph, the wind speed gauge was showing a range of 0 - 40 mph so the needle was constantly maxed out, see screenshot. I am sure it never used to do this?

wind graph.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dador
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & Ecowitt
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Dashboard wind gauge

Post by Dador »

Settings -> Calibration settings - > Wind gust -> Max. limit -> what is your value there?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

It's set at 90m/s (200mph!)
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The gauge is set to auto-scale as it always has been. It starts with a default max scale of 20 (in mph), so your screen shot shows it has scaled up from that to 40 mph.

I just tried forcing some dummy data from MX of a max gust today value of 62 mph, recent max gust of 55, and an average of 49.5 and the gauge did this...
Screenshot 2023-11-15 120958.png
So it is working OK here.

It's probably too late now, but it would have been interesting to see the developer pages in your browser and see if any errors were being logged,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Thanks for the reply.
I thought it had something to do with auto scaling as later in the day it got windier but the gauge remained at 0-40 mph with the needle maxed out. I did look at the dashboard on my android phone and that showed the same ? I might try a fresh install on a new sd card and see if that sorts it out.
Thanks,
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

So, windy again Today and still not behaving itself,
wind graph 3.jpg
I installed the latest raspberry pi OS, latest version of mono, latest cumulus mx all on a brand new sd card.
All I added was my ini file and the reports and data folder from the previous version of MX.
I also don't understand why it says the maximum gust of the day is 36.3 mph when the graph says it should be 48 mph?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Sorry, I do not understand why it isn't working, and unlike a web site I cannot connect and debug why it isn't working.
This is my "live" install at the moment - as you can see it too has auto-scaled and the max is correct.
Screenshot 2023-12-09 210401.png
Did you look in the browser dev console for any errors?

What does the today/yesterday page show for today's high gust?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I'll check but I think the auto-scale is based on today's max gust, so it that is wrong that is why the gauge is out.

Could you post your latest MXdiags file as well please.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I looked at the browser dev console and couldn't see any obvious errors - although to be honest I didn't know what I was looking for!
Today/Yesterday reports todays high gust of 37.6 mph - the graph shows a high of 60.9 mph

My latest MXdiags file,
20231209-140000.zip
Thanks,
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

That log shows speeds of 90 mph (!) but MX is recording max gust of 44 mph, so

I see you have a wind speed and gust multiplier of 0.448, that is unusal, most people have a multiplier greater that 1 to compenstate for low sited sensors. How come your aneomometer is reading so high?

I see the 60.9 mph @16:34...

Code: Select all

2023-12-09 16:34:13.001 DoWind: latest=136.0, speed=77.0 - Current: gust=60.5, speed=40.0
2023-12-09 16:34:13.006 DoWind: New: gust=60.9, speed=40.0, latest:60.9
So 136 mph coming from the station!

That give me something to go on, I thought it may be the multipler being applied twice, but 60.9 * 0.448 = 27.3, not 37.6

I see you changed the calibration settings twice in the log file, did you still have the 0.448 wind speed multiplier applying at 16:34 when the 60.9 was recorded?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Thanks for the reply,

I changed the windgust max. limit (m/s) from 90 to 85 and then back again to see if that made any difference - it didn't

The reason for the calibration setting is explained here (extract from weatherduino instructions)
wind calibration.jpg

I have been using the weatherduino system for well over a year and up until now has been faultless
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Can you check if you have spike logging enabled?

Settings > Program Settings
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

No I don't have spike logging enabled, only debug and data.
Shall I enable it?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Yes, always best to run with that enabled, though in this case I do not think it is spike/limit settings coming into play.

Can you also post your today.ini and month.ini files from yesterday's overnight backup please.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I have found the problem - in the code that checks the high gust it was comparing the difference between the latest gust in m/s and the previous value in mp. Which will have triggered a spike removal as the allowed difference is 20 m/s in your config. So, it will trigger a spike when the (calibrated) wind speed reaches approx. 37 mph - (37 mph = 16.5 m/s, subtracting = 21) - you saw a max of 37.6

So, a temporary workaround for you is to increase the wind spike values for gust and average back to their default values of 999

And I was wrong spike logging would have shown the problem.