Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Annual rainfall reached on 1 October!

Talk about the weather
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Annual rainfall reached on 1 October!

Post by RayProudfoot »

David, you certainly did! Nearly 0.5” when I’ve had just 0.14” up here.

Yes, good to hear the dredging is getting done. I seem to remember some EU Directive prevented that from happening if there was a vole in the vicinity. Or was it an endangered species? What about people having their homes flooded? Bit more important I would say.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

I've just noticed that your banner isn't updating when I refresh the page, Ray.
David's does.

It'll only refresh if I force a browser refresh, so I suspect you'll need to turn caching off for it on your hosting.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote: Tue 03 Oct 2023 8:50 pm I've just noticed that your banner isn't updating when I refresh the page, Ray.
David's does.

It'll only refresh if I force a browser refresh, so I suspect you'll need to turn caching off for it on your hosting.
If you can talk me through that process I’d be verse grateful. It’s bugged me for ages.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

RayProudfoot wrote: Tue 03 Oct 2023 9:32 pm If you can talk me through that process I’d be verse grateful. It’s bugged me for ages.
If you log in to your cPanel, then go to file manager, then go to the root directory of your website. In the top right corner, there should be a 'settings' button. Click that, and then select Show Hidden Files (dotfiles) save that.

Now, in your directory it may or may not show a file called .htaccess if it doesn't, then create a new file (top left) and call it .htaccess and hit Create New File

You can then open it and add this in to stop your banner being cached:

Code: Select all

<Files chlive.php>
  FileETag None
  Header unset ETag
  Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"
  Header set Pragma "no-cache"
  Header set Expires "Wed, 11 Jan 1984 05:00:00 GMT"
</Files>
If the file does exist already, just add the above, being careful not to remove or change anything that might already be in the file.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

RayProudfoot wrote: Tue 03 Oct 2023 4:44 pm David, you certainly did! Nearly 0.5” when I’ve had just 0.14” up here.

Yes, good to hear the dredging is getting done. I seem to remember some EU Directive prevented that from happening if there was a vole in the vicinity. Or was it an endangered species? What about people having their homes flooded? Bit more important I would say.
Most of the flooding this year has been because of flash floods in hilly areas such as the Devon / Somerset border or in North Devon and Exmoor, caused by excessive run off from the fields, as you can see because it is mainly rivers of mud!! Now this may be controversial, but I believe that this is caused by the modern farming method of just harrowing discs to cut the topsoil up and then drill it. In days of yore when fields were ploughed across the hill water would not run off because it caught in the farrows, but discing leaves a flat field liable to run off.

The Levels do not suffer from these flash floods because they are flat and the water runs off into the newly dredged rivers and rynes.
David
grwkak
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by grwkak »

@rayproudfoot

No mountains - but we do get lake-effect snow and sometimes rain as we are south of Lake Erie. I would need to look at those years to see when the heaviest rainfall months occurred.

Guy
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

@mapantz, many thanks for that. I do have an existing .htaccess file so will edit it later this morning and report back.

@grwkak, I imagine you need a heater for your rain gauge otherwise you would under-record by a massive amount.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

David, I imagine the farmers do that for a reason. Hard to know why unless you talk to them. Saving money perhaps although they are also very aware of their responsibilities towards the environment.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Nottub
Weather Station: Davis VP2 (Cabled)
Operating System: RPi 4 (Bookworm)

Post by Nottub »

After Septembers returns we (here at Calverton, Nottingham) sit at 90% of our annual rainfall average with 649.4mm.

Our highest annual rainfall was back in 2012 with 1090.4mm, so we are some way off that at the moment.

The lowest annual rainfall was 2011 with just 508.2mm.

Martyn
(Calverton Weather Station)
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote: Tue 03 Oct 2023 10:06 pm If you log in to your cPanel, then go to file manager, then go to the root directory of your website. In the top right corner, there should be a 'settings' button. Click that, and then select Show Hidden Files (dotfiles) save that.

Now, in your directory it may or may not show a file called .htaccess if it doesn't, then create a new file (top left) and call it .htaccess and hit Create New File

You can then open it and add this in to stop your banner being cached:
Mapantz,

I do have a .htaccess file on my server and this screenshot shows the current contents. It's all a mystery to me but I do recall a fellow member here giving me some code to calculate Local Noon on my main website. I think it may be referenced in this file.

Can you please advise where I should paste the code you posted yesterday?
Current_htaccess.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01

Post by water01 »

Well after last nights rain 2023 now jumps into 2nd spot in the all time for rainfall and is only 1.87in off the record year, so if the average for October holds true it will be beaten in October with still 2 months to go!!
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

With Storm Babet due in the next 24 hours many stations in NE England and East Scotland can expect significant rainfall.

Here's a different look at my stats with a league table of rainfall by year in descending order. 2009 was the start of my station so records only started in May.
RainHistogram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01

Post by water01 »

Well Storm Babet did it for me, with 2hrs 12mins to go and .90in of rain 2023 becomes my highest rain year. with 2 months 2 weeks of the year still to go!!

Definitely a wet year!!
David
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

Looking at my records I need another 25mm to match my lowest year and on top of that about another 170mm to match my current average and another 230mm on top of that to match my highest year!

Stuart
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

It’s going to be an interesting few days with Storm Babet now over the UK. One station NW of Aberdeen has recorded 2.22” of rain in under 10 hours and the worst has yet to hit the area. IABERDEE60 on WU. https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IABERDEE60

My area is under an amber warning for 24 hours from tomorrow.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.