Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus and ftp

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Meteosat
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 sp2 64bit

Cumulus and ftp

Post by Meteosat »

Hi,
I’ve had notification from my website provider (IONOS) that from next year only sftp instead of ftp will be permitted.

Wondering if there is something I can do to adapt my current Cumulus version (1.9.4 build 1098) or will I need to migrate to a different package.

Many thanks for any help.

James.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Cumulus and ftp

Post by freddie »

Hi James,

Development for Cumulus v1 stopped in 2014. Unfortunately v1 doesn't support using SFTP. However, v1's replacement, Cumulus MX, does support SFTP.

You may like to take a look at the Wiki for guidance on how to upgrade. https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/Migrating ... us_1_to_MX would be a good starting point. If any questions arise from studying the upgrade guide then please come back and ask here.
Freddie
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I hope to god HostPresto doesn’t insist on this. It would require a change of computer for me as a minimum plus trying to learn and configure a whole new process.

It’s just weather data. Why are they getting so bloody anal about something many of us have been doing for years without any perceived risk of system compromise. Grrgghh!!! :evil:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

Thank you ever so much. A bit of a learning curve I fear ahead
James
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

RayProudfoot wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 12:21 pm It’s just weather data. Why are they getting so bloody anal about something many of us have been doing for years without any perceived risk of system compromise. Grrgghh!!! :evil:
Because it's not about weather data. It's about standard security. You also have to remember, you're not the only one using a server, there's many other users sharing it.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 1:07 pm Because it's not about weather data. It's about standard security. You also have to remember, you're not the only one using a server, there's many other users sharing it.
I'm well aware I'm not the only one using their servers. :roll: What is inherently dangerous about FTP uploads? It's clear data isn't it so no viruses can be contained within it.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

RayProudfoot wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 1:21 pm
Mapantz wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 1:07 pm Because it's not about weather data. It's about standard security. You also have to remember, you're not the only one using a server, there's many other users sharing it.
I'm well aware I'm not the only one using their servers. :roll: What is inherently dangerous about FTP uploads? It's clear data isn't it so no viruses can be contained within it.
Because nowadays basic FTP is considered dangerous as it is possible to read the datastream and interpret what is in it such as passwords etc.

"FTP was not built to be secure. It is generally considered to be an insecure protocol because it relies on clear-text usernames and passwords for authentication and does not use encryption. Data sent via FTP is vulnerable to sniffing, spoofing, and brute force attacks, among other basic attack methods."

Sorry Ray but is my experience that most hosting services are going to eventually switch off FTP because of its vulnerability, so at some point my guess is you will be forced to change.
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi David. That’s totally depressing. I’ve raised a ticket with HostPresto asking if they’re happy to accept my ftp uploads for the foreseeable future. Let’s see what the reply is.

Forewarned is forearmed. If they say it won’t then my first task is to find a 13” netbook or laptop as I can’t use MX on my 14 year-old Samsung NC10 running XP. :(

As for learning MX that’s not going to be easy either. I have an interest in computers but I know next to nothing about websites, uploads or the processes used.

I’m guessing my custom-built website will need redesigning before I can use MX. Ye gods. :bash:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01

Post by water01 »

Ray although the standard website has changed with CMX the old style can still be used, and as your website is based on that I see no reason why initially it cannot continue to be used.

I personally would look at one of these GeeCOM minis (https://www.geekom.co.uk/geekom-miniair ... D7EALw_wcB). This one is only £159 and comes with Windows 11 Pro preinstalled and enough grunt to run CMX, and is not power hungry.

If you do decide to swap I for one would be very happy to help you through the process and get you up and running.
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

That’s very kind of you, thanks David. That computer wouldn’t be suitable as I need one with a keyboard and screen built in. It has to sit atop a bookcase in close proximity to the Davis console.

Power consumption isn’t an issue as I have solar panels. The lid stays down on my existing one bar the 2-3 times a week I run it off the battery to keep that in good nick.

I had a vague reply from HP saying “ Please be assured that the FTP access will be enabled for your account until the service is active with us.”

Make of that what you will. :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01

Post by water01 »

Ray you could achieve a headless MX using your old laptop talking to the GEECOM using Remote Desktop on your network. Initial set up of the W11 machine could be achieved with a USB keyboard and mouse and using your laptop display linked to the HDMI port of the W11 using a HDMI to VGA cable.

My Acer Revo runs CumulusMX with no keyboard, mouse or display and I interface to it Remote Desktop via my network.
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

David, an entirely different way of setting up a computer. :D

I understand the concept as I’ve interacted with a user’s computer using TeamViewer. It’s just me getting my head around how MX works as it’s totally different to Cumulus.

The integrity of my data would also be paramount. I see new versions of MX appearing from time to time. Are those generally trouble-free?

But I’ve no need to switch as things stand unless circumstances change when HP move me to a new package next year. I’m trying to establish what that involves.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Meteosat wrote:
A bit of a learning curve I fear ahead
Yes for the full understanding of CMX. But to actually start using it, not a big deal. The "settings" menu is well laid-out and the setting options explained. And you can run both CU1 and CMX for a while, just both not at the same time. And the data is upwards compatible from CU1 to CMX.

freddie provided the Wiki link that has detailed information on the updating, and reading/following that will be helpful. However for the impatient...

I still run Cumulus1 on an old Acer Windows 8 PC with data going back to October 2008 (this PC also still runs the Davis WeatherlinkPC), and on a PC Windows 10 I run one CumulusMX connecting with WiFiLogger and another connecting with WeatherlinkLive device.
I just did a quick test with a new latest release CMX install and copying in the CU1 \data and \Reports folders and Cumulus.ini :clap: :clap: works well...

The only issue was that I initially could not display the NOAA Reports, and found that the CU1 Cumulus.ini had the old start date format in the settings. Changing the Records Began Date in the CMX settings to the required format brought up all the reports since October 2008. (This is mentioned in the Wiki)

The 5-minute interval log entries are being added as expected, and with the additional fields provided by CMX that were not in CU1. I expect the additional dayfile items in CMX to be added beginning at the end-of-day rollover.

I didn't do any testing with website updates as that is a bit more involved.

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

@Meteosat, if you’re interested in remaining with Cumulus 1 Host Presto - my hosting company - are happy with ftp uploads.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

Firstly many thanks to everyone who has contributed. It has been so very helpful.
I did think one work around might be to upload individual image files via a command line script using something like Winscp.

But Ray’s suggestion I would like to follow up as the actual host isn’t particularly important as it’s usually just me viewing the data.

Cheers,
James.