Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
thekow
Weather Station: w1080
Operating System: Virtualbox XP environment

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Post by thekow »

Is there a way to Catch up the real time log. As in when the WS goes down for a couple hours and the data is recovered by cumulus it writes a new trends.log for the last X amount of hours?
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

Unfortunately not.
'realtime' is considerd to be ephemeral in nature and Steve advises;
Cumulus runs a timer which fires once a minute, when the clock minute changes; it performs various actions at this point. If the current minute on the clock is a multiple of the log interval, it writes to the log file. Realtime.txt creating is done based on completely separate timer which fires at the configured interval. The data written to the realtime.txt file is taken from data stored in memory, as with the web tags.
So the realtime file is built from memory and is overwritten each time it is updated.

This I believe is the primary reason for this Realtime Gadget (and other code like it) - to enable the capture of realtime data and log it separately.

The catchup data is retrieved from the logger (at 5, 10 minute intervals or what ever you have set in Cumulus) whereas the realtime data is (in my case, a 15 second interval) from the live data in the station, not from the logger.

The creation of realtime.txt is based on the clock in the computer Cumulus runs in (at the realtime interval) and not on the 'catchup data'. Thus these interim realtime files never exist.
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

pgils wrote:Hi
I love the gadget here - better than the one built into Vista.
I am new to Cumulus and have just downloaded the Gadget, and can see it takes data from: http://ibtest.dk/cumulus/realtime.txt

As i haven't come so far as to have any website - how do i define my own realtime.txt to have the values i need ??

The one i am using now shows wind as m/s and i'd like to change to km/h

Thanks for a good gadget
Check your Cumulus file for the realtime.txt file there and and put in C:\Cumulus\realtime.txt . If it isn't there then you need to open the Cumulus program and go to Configuration/internet settings and tick the "Enable Realtime" check box. It will then save a copy of the realtime.txt in your Cumulus folder for the gadget to find. No website neccessary. But I don't see the point in that, but there's your answer. But as I'm only up to page 13 from Dec 2012 in the forum, you've probably got an answer or a website ages ago hahahaha.
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

ivestfold wrote:Hi there. I really would like to have this as well.. I have downloaded the zip folder, and renamed it to "cumulusih.gadget". It's still looking like a zip folder though... Anyway, when I double click on it, nothing happens..
Are anyone able to spell it out for me? Sorry for this... :oops:

BR

Ingve
In windows 7, click on the link, it will display a box to open or save/save as. Click Save as, and save on your desktop AND rename it before you save it as "cumulusih.gadget" and it will save it as a gadget file straight onto the desktop.
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
gluepack
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Win 7 Pro

Post by gluepack »

Thanks dane for a very handy little gadget.

Always nice to get something that works out of the box and does what it says it will.

Sure, I'd like to see the location of the pws displayed as opposed to the location of the data file but.....it's great.

Out of interest, having never used gadgets before and, having added it to my Win 7 laptop, when searching to find out why I couldn't add it to my Win 8 desktop system, I discovered the following comments, on a website where they help you get them back....
Unfortunately, Desktop gadgets were not welcomed on Windows 8. Microsoft believes that Gadgets no longer makes sense with the introduction of tiles in Windows 8. In addition to that, Gadgets can pose a security risk to users. In July 2012, Microsoft released a security advisory to recommend users to disable Gadgets completely. The official desktop gadget directory has also been retired. This means that Windows Vista and Windows Seven users will no longer be able to install these Desktop Gadgets too.
Anyone created a tile that uses your own pws data?
Last edited by gluepack on Fri 15 Mar 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
Station type: PCE-FWS 20…Webcam link: View south to edge of Provadisko plateau
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

The author of this gadget has advised
As stated in the 1st post of this thread:
Quote:

Do not use the local realtime.txt version "for real": the gadget will run fine for a while, but will hang after an unpredictable lapse of time
I can confirm I have this problem in Win7 across the local network so get my data from the website.
kronckew
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: win10 x64 enterprise

Post by kronckew »

hi,

just got my pws, a wh1081, have it set up and working fine in cumulus 1.9.4. i have also created tasks to shut it down gracefully before shutting down the pc, and before it goes to sleep (standby) by my command, and to restart when the pc wakes. this all works fine, surviving a number of shutdown/sleep cycles, reboots, etc. i also joined and now upload to pwsweather, wow (met office), and wunderground.

i like having a weather gadget running on the side of my desktop, tried wow's not available at this time. tried wunderground's, only displays temp. ran across this one familiarizing myself with the forum & cumulus.

i do NOT have a website host i can upload to.

i tried the local realtime.txt approach with the 2.51h gadget downloaded from here. as expected it ran for a while then locked up.

as it has been noted, it does work with a remote server, so i had a brain storm (or a mini-stroke, not sure which) and set up a microsoft skydrive. got cumulus to send the realtime.txt to there.

it works. three days now, thru rain and storm (real and figurative) no lockups. has survived a few shutdowns/restarts/standbys and keeps on ticking.

just for the heck of it, i set up a 'bitcasa infinite drive' on their free file sharing site. it's similar to microsoft's offering. it works too.

microsoft's skydrive aliases to c:\user\user\skydrive and i set up a 'documents' folder to hold realtime.txt there.
bitcasa's aliases to a dummy I:\ drive, set up a 'crtfiles' folder there to hold the realtime file as well.

the gadget works with either c:\user\user\skydrive\realtime.txt or I:\crtfiles\realtime.txt in the gadget setup
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
------------Real Dogs Have Tattoos!-------------------
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.
KC2VWR
Weather Station: WS1080
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by KC2VWR »

Downloaded the cumulusih.zip and tried to renamed it to cumulusih.gadget with no success still shows as a zip file.........
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

If it still shows as a zip file, then it probably still is a zip file, and you probably have file extensions hidden (so the file is now called cumulusih.gadget.zip). If you turn on display of known file extensions, renaming files will be much easier. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... dows-vista
Steve
hala
Weather Station: Oregon WMR200
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by hala »

Hello.

Is it passible to have this gadget for 64bit windows? I can only get this work in the 32 bit version of windows 7.
/Hakan
hala
Weather Station: Oregon WMR200
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by hala »

It was possible to install under win7 64 bit. Needed to the installation manual by copying the file into the gadget directory. So I am happy again :)
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

Made a small addition to this script.
I decided a sound warning as well as the text change to advise that the gadget was not seeing updates of realtime.txt might be useful.

so in cumulusih.gadget\js\gadget.js,
in function displayData(realtime)
{ .........

if ((oldhour) == time)
{
if (count < maxcount) count = count + 1;
else site = "<span style='color:#ff0000'>NB: not updating....</span>"; //color red
System.Sound.beep()
}
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

I know they stopped gadgets in 8 but there are 3rd party products available to enable them.
I have it running in Windows 10.
However (and not having done any research), has this been converted to an app tile or is there a similar app tile that uses my weather station data that I could use?

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

gluepack wrote:I know they stopped gadgets in 8 but there are 3rd party products available to enable them.
I have it running in Windows 10.
However (and not having done any research), has this been converted to an app tile or is there a similar app tile that uses my weather station data that I could use?
Haven't done any research, either - but am running the gadget on Windows 10 with no problems, using http://8gadgetpack.net/
Ib
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

Yes, I am using http://gadgetsrevived.com with no problems, so far.