Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Post by mcrossley »

Unlikely but maybe the work proxy server doesn't allow .txt files?
wxsharp
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by wxsharp »

I must be missing something in the comments ... but I haven't seen an answer for it.

Does anyone know what went awry if I'm not seeing the image? It's updating fine, installed fine, etc. Tried on a couple computers .. just seeing a blank spot on the top of the widget instead of the image.

Using a Davis Pro2.
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

wxsharp wrote:I must be missing something in the comments ... but I haven't seen an answer for it.

Does anyone know what went awry if I'm not seeing the image? It's updating fine, installed fine, etc. Tried on a couple computers .. just seeing a blank spot on the top of the widget instead of the image.

Using a Davis Pro2.
Your user profile says: XP. No gadget support in Win XP. Is that the cause ?
Ib
wxsharp

Post by wxsharp »

dane wrote:
wxsharp wrote:I must be missing something in the comments ... but I haven't seen an answer for it.

Using a Davis Pro2.
Your user profile says: XP. No gadget support in Win XP. Is that the cause ?
Nah, Cumulus is running on my XP box. Widgets are all running on Win7. As I mentioned, the Widget loads fine, pulls all the data from realtime.txt fine, refreshes, etc. It just doesn't have the graphic on top - the widget is just blank on top.
dane

Post by dane »

You probably did not specify "Cumulus forecast" on the station settings panel.
The gadget uses the zambretti forecast from Cumulus, not the one from the Davis station.
Ib
wxsharp

Post by wxsharp »

dane wrote:You probably did not specify "Cumulus forecast" on the station settings panel.
The gadget uses the zambretti forecast from Cumulus, not the one from the Davis station.
Thanks, that was it - knew it was something silly. So is there an advantage to one over the other? And this graphic - it's today's forecast, right? Not current conditions? It's a tad ambiguous at first glance..
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

wxsharp wrote:So is there an advantage to one over the other?
The Davis forecast is better, in my opinion. I don't know exactly what formula they use, but it appears to use more variables and has many more possible forecasts. It seems to give a better forecast for me, at least.
Steve
dane

Post by dane »

steve wrote:
The Davis forecast is better, in my opinion. I don't know exactly what formula they use, but it appears to use more variables and has many more possible forecasts. It seems to give a better forecast for me, at least.
The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt
Ib
wxsharp

Post by wxsharp »

dane wrote:
steve wrote:
The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt
Bummer - would be nice if it was in realtime, or if you could have Cuumulus's in realtime, but leave Davis's for other stuff..
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

dane wrote:The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt
The problem is that there's no identifier for the Davis forecast (that Cumulus has access to) so it would have to include the text of the forecast, and that would typically double the size of the realtime.txt file. And how would you use that anyway, in your gadget?

What I could do is to always do the Cumulus forecast calculation, and include the identifier in realtime.txt, even if the Davis forecast was being used.

Edit: I've just realised that what I've just proposed is what wxsharp had already proposed in the previous message :lol:
Steve
wxsharp

Post by wxsharp »

steve wrote:
dane wrote:The Davis forecast may be better, but it's not in the realtime.txt
The problem is that there's no identifier for the Davis forecast (that Cumulus has access to) so it would have to include the text of the forecast, and that would typically double the size of the realtime.txt file. And how would you use that anyway, in your gadget?

What I could do is to always do the Cumulus forecast calculation, and include the identifier in realtime.txt, even if the Davis forecast was being used.

Edit: I've just realised that what I've just proposed is what wxsharp had already proposed in the previous message :lol:
:)
I suppose the alternative would be realtime.txt and realtime-verbose.txt, and the developer can pick their poison (if they want more details at a bandwidth hit or not).

I was contemplating writing an Android app. I was kind of interested in using the realtime.txt for the sake of ease of use, if others are interested in using it. So in that case, full data would be nice..
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

wxsharp wrote:I suppose the alternative would be realtime.txt and realtime-verbose.txt, and the developer can pick their poison (if they want more details at a bandwidth hit or not).
There's been some discussion about a 'realtime extras' file, and it's something I'll look at when I get more time.

I've changed the code for the next build so it always sets up the forecast number, so it's always valid in realtime.txt and the <#forecastnumber> web tag.
Steve
wxsharp

Post by wxsharp »

steve wrote:
wxsharp wrote:I suppose the alternative would be realtime.txt and realtime-verbose.txt, and the developer can pick their poison (if they want more details at a bandwidth hit or not).
There's been some discussion about a 'realtime extras' file, and it's something I'll look at when I get more time.

I've changed the code for the next build so it always sets up the forecast number, so it's always valid in realtime.txt and the <#forecastnumber> web tag.
Very cool - when do you expect the next build to go release?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

wxsharp wrote:Very cool - when do you expect the next build to go release?
Hard to say; I'm in the middle of some large changes at the moment.
Steve
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

This is very cool, excuse the pun (bet ya never heard that one before on here ;) )
Lags up my Mac at work though lol.
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather