Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Hostpresto server migration

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: Hostpresto server migration

Post by Mapantz »

M1DUL wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 1:40 pm I cannot do that on my account, they have blocked my IP address, they've blocked me out of everything !!!!
If you go to your client area, click Services then click My Services then click your host service/product, do you see Manage Firewall in the menu on the left?
M1DUL
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 Plus Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro Version

Post by M1DUL »

Mapantz wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 1:43 pm
M1DUL wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 1:40 pm I cannot do that on my account, they have blocked my IP address, they've blocked me out of everything !!!!
If you go to your client area, click Services then click My Services then click your host service/product, do you see Manage Firewall in the menu on the left?
Thank you for the information, I tried it, and they blocked me again.

This is the error:
lfd: (mod_security) mod_security (id:949110) triggered by (GB/United Kingdom/243-ipv4.no-dns-yet.as49375.net): 10 in the last 3600 secs
Mike

Weather Station : Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus Daytime Far's
Cumulus MX v.3.28.6 build 3283
https://branksomeweather.co.uk/index.htm
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

M1DUL wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 2:13 pm Thank you for the information, I tried it, and they blocked me again.

This is the error:
lfd: (mod_security) mod_security (id:949110) triggered by (GB/United Kingdom/243-ipv4.no-dns-yet.as49375.net): 10 in the last 3600 secs
Drop them another email to say you removed the block, but you keep getting blocked. They'll add a whitelist to hopefully stop it happening.
Nossie
Weather Station: Ecowitt 2551
Operating System: Raspberry Pi5 Debian Bookworm

Post by Nossie »

Can I just add - I'm not with hostpresto ... but my own webhost also kept blocking me last year for using upload.php after speaking with someone they fixed it permanently - or at least so far.

seems to be a bit of a red flag for some
Ian.

http://www.StewartonWeather.com
Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
M1DUL

Post by M1DUL »

Mapantz wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 2:31 pm
M1DUL wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 2:13 pm Thank you for the information, I tried it, and they blocked me again.

This is the error:
Drop them another email to say you removed the block, but you keep getting blocked. They'll add a whitelist to hopefully stop it happening.
I sent them a message at 13:55 and received a reply at 15:23 this is what they said:

Your IP address was blocked by the server's firewall due to ModSec, and we've whitelisted the triggered rules for the domain branksomeweather.co.uk.

I think that is a very long time to wait for a reply from them.
Mike

SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

M1DUL wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 6:08 pm I sent them a message at 13:55 and received a reply at 15:23 this is what they said:

Your IP address was blocked by the server's firewall due to ModSec, and we've whitelisted the triggered rules for the domain branksomeweather.co.uk.

As an IT professional I have to say that a bit of reality check is needed here. If you for example buy a server hardware, it costs hundreds or even thousands of euros a year just to get 4 hours response time to even start the troubleshooting process.

Hostpresto’s Terms of Service do not promise absolutely anything about their support response times except that it is available 24/7/365, so in my opinion about hour and a half response is excellent service. It is not their fault that a customer uses methods that triggers automated protections that are there to guarantee server security against malicious attacks. Also this kind of an issue does not count when considering their promised 99,9% server availability, since the server is fine and working as expected, you are just automatically blocked out from there due to unwanted behaviour.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

SamiS wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 8:44 pm As an IT professional I have to say that a bit of reality check is needed here. If you for example buy a server hardware, it costs hundreds or even thousands of euros a year just to get 4 hours response time to even start the troubleshooting process.

Hostpresto’s Terms of Service do not promise absolutely anything about their support response times except that it is available 24/7/365, so in my opinion about hour and a half response is excellent service. It is not their fault that a customer uses methods that triggers automated protections that are there to guarantee server security against malicious attacks. Also this kind of an issue does not count when considering their promised 99,9% server availability, since the server is fine and working as expected, you are just automatically blocked out from there due to unwanted behaviour.
You do not know the in's and out's of what has gone on, so you being an IT professional is completely irrelevant to all of the issues that many of us have had.

No on said that the issue of mod security was related to 99.9% uptime either.

In any case, a 4 hour response time is poor, especially from Hostpresto. In any case, it doesn't matter, you're a paying customer. End of.
M1DUL

Post by M1DUL »

SamiS wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 8:44 pm
M1DUL wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 6:08 pm I sent them a message at 13:55 and received a reply at 15:23 this is what they said:

As an IT professional I have to say that a bit of reality check is needed here. If you for example buy a server hardware, it costs hundreds or even thousands of euros a year just to get 4 hours response time to even start the troubleshooting process.

Since you are, as you say, a Professional, it doesn't take a Professional to be aware, that we have legal rights to be able to use a service that we have paid for.

There were three of us involved and possibly many more, we are not all corrupt, as you suggest. You give a load of shpeal about cost, that is not my problem. As I've already said, they give a service which we all pay for, and should receive.

As it happens, it was a server problem, and so your comments were unfounded, and perhaps you need to be more careful with your accusations.
Not so professional after all.
Mike

SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

M1DUL wrote: Wed 24 Jan 2024 1:26 pm Since you are, as you say, a Professional, it doesn't take a Professional to be aware, that we have legal rights to be able to use a service that we have paid for.

There were three of us involved and possibly many more, we are not all corrupt, as you suggest. You give a load of shpeal about cost, that is not my problem. As I've already said, they give a service which we all pay for, and should receive.

As it happens, it was a server problem, and so your comments were unfounded, and perhaps you need to be more careful with your accusations.
Not so professional after all.
There might be cultural issues and differences in consumer protection laws at play here, so please don’t get heated up so easily.

In professional IT services, there is a term called SLA, short for Service Level Agreement. It defines response and repair times for the provided service. If this document does not exist (as it seems to be the case with Hostpresto), then the response times are ”best effort” and you basically can not ask them for any refund even if they would react on next day or so since they have not broken the agreement (unless British laws define something compulsory that I as a foreigner cannot know).

I also do not understand what accusation I have made? If CumulusMX triggers php server protection features, it is not Hostpresto’s fault. Of course it is not your personal fault either, but it is a compatibility issue that can be circumvented by making manual adjustments on the server and this is what Hostpresto has done in response to your contacts. And if the system is configured properly, the automatic blocking of course affects all users that have the same CMX upload settings to their servers. Basically it is the very same thing if an antivirus software detects a false positive and quarantines the same file from millions of users all around the world.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I’ll just add my sixpenneth as a HostPresto customer. I’m not aware of a SLA for my contract. The two short downtimes I’ve experienced in the last few weeks have to be put in context with how much I pay.

For around 30UKP per annum it’s good service. For 100% uptime I’d expect to pay a lot more.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

M1DUL

Post by M1DUL »

Hi All,
Is anyone else using Hostpresto hosting? And are you getting these errors in your MXdiags Logs? I am getting these errors quite a few times during the day and night. For your Information, I am using upload.php I have tried turning off, in CumulusMx internet settings GET uploads Use GET for PHP small file uploads, that does not make any difference to the problem.

2024-01-26 12:18:10.057 RealtimePHP[246]: General error uploading to realtimegauges.txt
2024-01-26 12:18:10.057 RealtimePHP[246]: General error uploading to realtimegauges.txt - Exception Type: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException

2024-01-26 12:18:10.057 RealtimePHP[246]: Retrying upload to realtimegauges.txt
2024-01-26 12:18:10.057 RealtimePHP[246]: General error uploading to realtime.txt
2024-01-26 12:18:10.057 RealtimePHP[246]: General error uploading to realtime.txt - Exception Type: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException

2024-01-26 12:18:10.057 RealtimePHP[246]: Retrying upload to realtime.txt

Many Thanks for any Information
Kind Regards
Mike
Mike

RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mike, I’ve been with them for a number of years. Only problems have been in the last couple of months but otherwise excellent service.

I use the original Cumulus so upload via ftp. No issues here.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.