Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Poll on which Cumulus version is being used

Topics concerning the Support Forum.

Which version of Cumulus do you use

Poll ended at Fri 03 Feb 2023 2:36 pm

Cumulus 1
13%
Cumulus 1, going to migrate to CumulusMX
4%
CumulusMX
84%

Total votes: 223

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: Poll on which Cumulus version is being used

Post by HansR »

That is interesting, thanks @Paul.

An automatic (anonymous of course haha ;) ) count might be useful to really have an ide of the CMX usage. Which itself would be useful to have a good idea of priorities in the todo lists. It would not be too difficult I assume: just give a life sign with a unique Id to the forum or wiki server (startup and shutdown) and you might see the number of live CMX installs in the header 8-)
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

From the web server perspective (i.e. including bots and unregistered users) the unique visitor count is around 1900 per day, with notable spikes on and after release day.

I guess I could have a look at the database to try and work out number of registered users visiting.
Freddie
HansR

Post by HansR »

freddie wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 5:33 pm From the web server perspective (i.e. including bots and unregistered users) the unique visitor count is around 1900 per day, with notable spikes on and after release day.

I guess I could have a look at the database to try and work out number of registered users visiting.
Well excluding the bots for sure.

Registered or not, more important maybe is if they show involvement (spend time) and not leave the second they arrive.
Hans

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

If you use the last active column to sort the registered members list, 354 individual members have visited the site at least once from Nov 1st to Nov 28th (4 weeks).
David
HansR

Post by HansR »

So putting it all together I would say that CMX has roughly 1000-1500 installs and there are about 400 users trying to have it all up to date and they visit the forum roughly once a month. Roughly 25% of them voted the poll.

OK, not accurate but the order of magnitude will be roughly correct.

Roughly spoken :lol:
Hans

ptb
Weather Station: FO3083 and VP2
Operating System: Win 11

Post by ptb »

Have to admit I'm using C1 on my old FO station and running a (new) parallel VP2 with MX.
I'm still undecided which I'll use long term as both have their positives. Some statistics monthly statistics in C1 - monthly wind run for example isn't available in MX, but the gauges in MX give a better visual appearance for instant assessment of current conditions
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

freddie wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 5:33 pm From the web server perspective (i.e. including bots and unregistered users) the unique visitor count is around 1900 per day, with notable spikes on and after release day.

One thing that comes to my mind is the url what CMX uses to check if there is an upgrade available. I don’t know where it is checked from, or how often the check is run, but I think it could give quite a good guesstimate of the number of running instances, if you counted daily unique ip addresses that are requesting it.

About the forum usage… I may be an oddbird, but over 90% of my forum visits are done while logged out, and I only sign in if I need to comment on something. People with strange habits… :roll:
HansR

Post by HansR »

The poll results themselves may in the end not be close to reality, the discussion below it gives good insight on different aspects of it :lol:
Hans

sindytoo
Weather Station: Arcus WS 3083
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1x64

Post by sindytoo »

I have been using Cumulus 1 (incl. updates and patches) for about 13 years. Simple, easy, and I can simply copy and paste monthly, yearly and all time records data in excel. The program interface is easy, configurable and I leave it running 24/7. MX means I have to fire up a browser all the time, however I do sync my Cumulus 1 folders with another folder set aside for MX just in case. No plans to change though.
Aercus WS3083
Cumulus v1.9.4 Build 1099
OZ1HVK
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Linux

Post by OZ1HVK »

Cumulus MX 3.22
Nottub
Weather Station: Davis VP2 (Cabled)
Operating System: RPi 4 (Bookworm)

Post by Nottub »

I do run the latest version of CMX on a RPi 24hrs a day with a fortnightly (or so) download from my VP2 into Weatherlink (for completeness).

I have managed to maintain my Davis Weatherlink records back to late 1999.
jturlier
Weather Station: VP2pro + Vue console
Operating System: W10 Migrated

Post by jturlier »

Interesting poll !
Personnally, I use Cumulus 1.9.4 and I do not have any plan to migrate it to CMX. All my data are allready stored in a Mysql database and processed by my own programs and scripts ( php, Javascript ).
Jean

Station :
VP2pro ( Vue console) + ultrasonic anemometer+ Cumulus 1.9.4
Cumulus2SQL + NOAAtable
Apache, Mysql

Computer :
W10 migrated
Sites :
http://meteoserignan.ddns.net/
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

As others have said, the poll on here will be very, very heavily biased towards new users and those of a more "techy nature".I consider myself part of the latter despite being 72 (although of course my generation founded the home PC era :D ) I have helped set up four other users many years ago with C1, one is deceased and the others going strong with C1. They used to contact Steve for simple problems but I don't think they even know about this forum and there must be so many more like that and those that over the years can a). fix common C1 errors and 2). Don't want to mess around with 10 years or more of data. My main reason for keeping with C1 is simplicity, the beauty of the graph periods and selecta graph which I believe can't be used with MX? Furthermore I run it on a mini PC 24/7 with no interruptions and just a few watts. (Although that is about to change soon as my Justop mini PC has just terminally failed after six years! I have continuous Cumulus data from 2008 so am unlikely to change.
Having said that I am interested in reading about all of the clever stuff with MX and think it is a fantastic achievement what you guys do to help people on this forum, so well done and a Happy New Year !
Dave
jimi
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY/F. O. WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by jimi »

I've been running the same station (Maplin F.O WH1081) with Cumulus 1 [ v1.9.4 (10992) ] continuously since 2012, no plans to change, as others have said why fix what isn't broke 😎
Cumulus 1 does everything I want, uploads my data to my website and various weather sites (Met office, Wunderground etc) it even uploads pictures from my weather cam. I like the website it provides, nice and simple not cluttered, very rarely have to do anything to it and can't be bothered to redo my website and set up everything else to run CMX. The only downside is that I can't run it on a Pi.
Yes I know I can run CMX on the Pi (I did actually try it out on a spare Pi and got it to work locally), but as above to much work to swop over for no real gain (to me) in fact some losses as others have mentioned. The only thing I'm looking at is the power saving by running a Pi vs my HP G800. However I may well just replace the G800 with one of these low power mini pc's the basic ones are light on power and will run Cumulus 1 no problem 8-)
As already mentioned I would doubt the accuracy of the poll regarding Cumulus 1 users, I have no doubt there are a lot out there that never visit the forums, they have no need to ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
GlueGuy2
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Linux Buster

Post by GlueGuy2 »

We're using MX. Currently on Cumulus MX 3.14.0 b3159. If it ain't broke...
bp