Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus utils post 6.8.3 failing on Windows computer

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

nossis
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win 10

Cumulus utils post 6.8.3 failing on Windows computer

Post by nossis »

Hi Hans,

Firstly, what a great utility this is as I refer to longer term climate graphs regularly, in particular rainfall :D
I have struck an error in running Cumulus Utils on Win 10 x64
I have been gathering info below that I hope is useful.
Last proper successful running state is using CumulusMX version 3.17.0.3184 with cumulusutils version 6.8.3.0, refer folder CMX 3.17.0.3184 - utils 6.8.3.0
Whenever I normally update CumulusMX or Cumulusutils, I overwrite existing with newer files. On reversion to older version, it is put the backup copy (made earlier) back in place.
I have found that it appears versions beyond the below is where it fails.
I have gathered Windows Application event log errors related, Windows Error reporting logs as related, and also what is seen on screen from the CLI window.
I am currently reverted back to my stable state in the meantime for versions
Also find the same issues for my brother in law who is running on a Windows 11 laptop

Narrowing it down
Working Refer to folder CMX 3.17.0.3184 - utils 6.8.3.0 (for working log files)
CumulusMX.exe version 3.17.0.3184
cumulusutils.exe version 6.8.3.0

Fails Refer folder CMX 3.18.0.3190 - utils 6.8.3.0
CumulusMX.exe version 3.18.0.3190
cumulusutils.exe version 6.8.3.0

Fails Refer folder CMX 3.17.0.3184 - utils 6.9.2.0
cumulusutils.exe version 6.9.2.0

Fails Refer folder CMX 3.17.0.3184 - utils 6.9.6.0
cumulusutils.exe version 6.9.6.0

Fails Refer folder CMX 3.19.3.3196 - utils 6.9.9.0
CumulusMX.exe version 3.19.3.3196
cumulusutils.exe version 6.9.9.0

Thanks
Kind Regards
Barry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: Cumulus utils post 6.8.3 failing on Windows computer

Post by HansR »

Barry,

First, thanks for the compliment :D , good to hear. I sometimes look at your sites and notice you make very atypical use of CUtils. Bravo, nice!

A quick look at the logs shows already at the command level that Windows can't find certain libraries, typically for FTP as that is one of the first to load. Apparently you did use SFTP and later on you tried FTP(S). None of those work.

I sometimes upgrade the libraries (you find everything in the bin directory of the distribution), we have to keep somewhat in line with developments. The update instruction is to copy all of the files in the distribution bin to the operational <CumulusMX>/utils/bin directory. So the combination with the CMX version is less important than to keep all files together. Windows will fetch its libraries first from the directory the executable is run from there fore it will not seek elsewhere if the bin directory contains the correct libraries. CUtils uses its own libs apart from CMX to maintain its independence so both CMX and CUtils can choose the libs and the level of the libs they use.

I would suggest to check the combination of executable and its config against the libraries in the utils\bin directory.
Make sure the bin directory of the distribution matches the bin directory you use for operation.
You may empty the bin directory before copying the new distribution.

If this does not help I'll have to look elsewhere and it will be a bit more difficult.

-----

Beside that, as a side remark, I also found that you apparently are using the cumulusutils.js library in your own website to use the LoadUtilsReport functionality for your menu's. That is an unsupported use but I do appreciate it, that is a clever trick ( :clap: ), you are the first (and only one) to do so. But please note that this file is only generated by CUtils when generating the website (without thrifty), it is not generated on its own. So if you want to use the newer versions as well you need to somehow run the website command and use the resulting cumulusutils.js library as you do. There are unannounced changes in there and please note that it also acts on some configuration items. If you run into problems let me know. NOTE: this is not the cause for your issue.

Regards,
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
nossis
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win 10

Post by nossis »

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out thanks to your insightful prodding :D
Your comment of "at the command level that Windows can't find certain libraries" got me thinking. I had always run from the cumulusMX directory C:\CumulusMX\cumulusutils.exe, since it didn't seem to run otherwise, so put also put in there C:\CumulusMX\cumulusutils.ini
I thought, ah got it as you say.... It is not finding the libraries since they aren't there in C:\CumulusMX, they are in C:\CumulusMX\utils\bin. So my solution was to run cumulusutils.exe in the bin folder (where it normally is) with the working directory of C:\CumulusMX

So batch file to call it to run WAS (old way that wasn't working on newer builds)

Code: Select all

C:\CumulusMX\cumulusutils.exe Forecast pwsFWI Top10 Graphs Yadr Records NOAA DayRecords
and NOW is (the corrected way)

START /D C:\CumulusMX C:\CumulusMX\utils\bin\cumulusutils.exe Forecast pwsFWI Top10 Graphs Yadr Records NOAA DayRecords
(In my batch file, I also have some code to check if CumulusMX.exe is an running process)

Tested just with the cumulusutils latest build and worked a treat! Beauty I thought.
Updated CumulusMX to latest build, yes worked again as well. Yippeee! :clap: Problem solved! :D :D :D

Now for my next learning is to play with the charts compiler. Need to spend some time reading and learning there.
Problem is solved, all done in as much time as it took me to write this reply.
Many thanks again sir
HansR

Post by HansR »

Barry,
nossis wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 12:54 pm Thanks for the reply. I figured it out thanks to your insightful prodding :D
Your comment of "at the command level that Windows can't find certain libraries" got me thinking. I had always run from the cumulusMX directory C:\CumulusMX\cumulusutils.exe, since it didn't seem to run otherwise, so put also put in there C:\CumulusMX\cumulusutils.ini
I thought, ah got it as you say.... It is not finding the libraries since they aren't there in C:\CumulusMX, they are in C:\CumulusMX\utils\bin. So my solution was to run cumulusutils.exe in the bin folder (where it normally is) with the working directory of C:\CumulusMX

So batch file to call it to run WAS (old way that wasn't working on newer builds)

C:\CumulusMX\cumulusutils.exe Forecast pwsFWI Top10 Graphs Yadr Records NOAA DayRecords
and NOW is (the corrected way)

START /D C:\CumulusMX C:\CumulusMX\utils\bin\cumulusutils.exe Forecast pwsFWI Top10 Graphs Yadr Records NOAA DayRecords
(In my batch file, I also have some code to check if CumulusMX.exe is an running process)

Tested just with the cumulusutils latest build and worked a treat! Beauty I thought.
Updated CumulusMX to latest build, yes worked again as well. Yippeee! :clap: Problem solved! :D :D :D
:clap: :D

The reason why it used to work is that originally Cutils indeed started out from within the CMX environment and directory. Because of the different development speed of CMX and CUtils they started to use different libraries and to keep control and the libs in sync, I moved the exec to its own bin directory.
nossis wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 12:54 pm Now for my next learning is to play with the charts compiler. Need to spend some time reading and learning there.
Problem is solved, all done in as much time as it took me to write this reply.
Many thanks again sir
Looking forward to your experience, opinion and results on the compiler :!:
You're welcome.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

@nossis: and in addition, is there a reason why you removed the link for the Roleystone site on the map?
Hans