Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Issues after upgrade to b3196

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

CinciJeff
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Issues after upgrade to b3196

Post by CinciJeff »

It's been a long time since I paid any attention to new releases, but today I decided to update my instance from b3079 to b3196. I run it on a Win10 PC that is connected to my Davis receiver. While my initial upgrade attempt included using existing data and config files, I also tried a clean install and found the same issues in both.

My primary use for Cumulus MX is to send real-time data via MQTT to Home Assistant (my home automation system) so while there may be other issues, these are the ones that were most obvious:

1) I first went to the Settings menu to verify and/or set up MQTT. This is what my menu looks like:
cumulus-settings_menu.jpg
If I select "Internet settings" the options that usually populate after a second or two never appear. All I see is a Save button:
cumulus-internet_settings.jpg
2) Going back to Settings and selecting "Station settings", I see the settings screen (and, oddly, a text box with a single digit in it) and then the various settings. Now if I click "Settings" again while on this page, I see a very different menu:
cumulus-station_settings.jpg
... and trying the "Internet settings" menu again yields the same result as before.

I plan to revert back to my old version until I can sort this out but I wanted to make sure my issue was documented. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be keen to hear them, and if there are things I can try that will help the developers I'd be happy to do that as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Issues after upgrade to b3196

Post by water01 »

I am sorry but this upgrade from 3079 to 3196 is not possible without going through various other build releases as there has been a major change in the files structures and the way in which CumulusMX works since Build 3079.

You will need to read through the release notes and gradually upgrade your system as stated in the Wiki. This is the problem with falling so far behind, 3079 was released in May 2020 so you are over 2 years behind and over 100 releases.
David
CinciJeff

Post by CinciJeff »

Thank you. I thought all the required files were in the Cumulus MX folder, so I assumed that by installing a "fresh" version I would avoid these issues. It sounds like there must be other files and structures outside of this folder that I wasn't aware of.

When I find the time I'll work on the iterative upgrade process, but until then my old version is still working well for me so I'll stick with that for a while.

Thanks again for the quick response!
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

CinciJeff wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 6:26 pm Thank you. I thought all the required files were in the Cumulus MX folder, so I assumed that by installing a "fresh" version I would avoid these issues. It sounds like there must be other files and structures outside of this folder that I wasn't aware of.

When I find the time I'll work on the iterative upgrade process, but until then my old version is still working well for me so I'll stick with that for a while.

Thanks again for the quick response!
It could well be something as simple your browser caching old versions of the admin interface pages. It might be worth doing a force refresh of the admin interface - or, at a push, clearing your browser cache.
Freddie
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
I think a clean new install should run. Doing it without a Cumulus.ini and instead using the Config Wizard should get you going, then after a stop and restart go through all the settings to make sure everything is how you want it.

There have been some changes to \data files but I think that after you have CMX running, the previous \data and \Reports folders can be copied in. You can then run CreateMissing to catch up the new fields in dayfile.txt.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

As had been said it looks like your browser is caching parts of the old dashboard pages which is stopping it working.

I cannot check at the moment, but the MQTT template files changed format at one point (they now allow multiple topics). Not sure what version that happened as I'm on my phone, but something else for you to look out for.
CinciJeff

Post by CinciJeff »

Thanks all! My menu problem was clearly a caching issue... not sure why I didn't think of that!

Everything is up and running after a lot of fiddling with the new MQTT JSON template format. It took me quite a while to dig up the new format specification so I'll post it here for those who find themselves in similar circumstances (Source: https://github.com/cumulusmx/CumulusMX/ ... pdates.txt starting on line 479):

Code: Select all

- Change: MQTT now allows multiple topics for both Update and Interval data.
	- The format of the MQTT template files has changed to accommodate this
	- The template must now be formatted as JSON, however the payload data for each topic can still be in whatever format you like so long as you construct
	  a valid string - i.e. escape quotation marks
	- The default interval template (the update template is similar) now looks like this...
		{"topics": [
			{
				"topic": "CumulusMX/Interval",
				"data": "{\"time\":\"<#timehhmmss>\",\"temp\":<#temp rc=y>,\"humidity\":<#hum>,\"wgust\":<#wgust rc=y>}",
				"retain": false
			}
		]}
		Where the topic name is "CumulusMX/Interval", and the payload is the string "{\"time\":\"<#timehhmmss>\",\"te...rc=y>}" which is formatted as JSON text
	- To create a template with multiple topics, use this format...
		{"topics": [
			{"topic": "MyName/Topic1", "data": "\"<#timehhmmss>\",<#temp rc=y>", "retain": false},
			{"topic": "MyName/Topic2", "data": "<data><humidity><val><#hum></val></humidity></data>", "retain": true}
		]}
		Where Topic1 is formatted as CSV and is not retained on the server, and Topic2 as XML and is retained
	- The Dashboard Internet > MQTT settings have been updated to reflect these changes