Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Website data not visible because iOS is too old

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Website data not visible because iOS is too old

Post by RayProudfoot »

Yesterday I tried accessing a user’s website from the link in his signature but was just presented with lots of empty boxes where there should have been basic data about temp, rainfall, pressure etc.

The reason suggested was that my iOS was too old to run the Javascript. But we’re talking basic info here. Presumably nothing fancy like charts. Are things becoming over complicated when you have to have a fairly new iPad in order to see basic info like this?

My own website might not be very fancy compared to some but it still shows data correctly even on a 8 year-old iPad.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: Website data not visible because iOS is too old

Post by HansR »

Well Ray, as I made the tool with which that website was created I can only say that I did not test it against all devices alive in this world. I can say that you are the first to complain. So many older devices (my phone and Pad are Samsung but definitely not the youngest) do accept this website (Not only Andy's but all similar generated).

Btw most banking sites or other more complex javascript driven sites should then not be working either (if it is the javascript). What is the status of that type of sites on your iPad? Tbh, I can't debug on an iPad and can't check this either. I have no iPad available in my immediate surroundings. You could try and ask others with an iPad to try and run the site. If it does not work anywhere on an apple we would have to try to find a solution with some apple knowledgeable people.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

And beside that: the technique of displaying the live data (from realtime.txt) is similar to that of the Saratoga sites and of the old Cumulus sites. Nevertheless it could be that the startup code - which is a bit more modern - blocks the continuation to regular run.

But please remember, that the Standard interface (the black one) and the alternative interface also are javascript driven. Do those work?
Hans

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

It does sound like JavaScript isn't enabled on the safari browser?!

That's the first to check in your settings. Also, are you using private browsing?
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

note:

some websites also block on web browser "user-agent" strings, especially when they are archaic.

I know my iPad (1st gen original) is useless for web browsing the net. gave up on it years ago.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

HansR

Post by HansR »

@Mapantz, @ConligWX: thanks for joining in and the good suggestions.
One thing is sure: the website CUtils generated website does not block on anything (unless bootstrap blocks unknowingly), if a browser is archaic it just shows nothing I guess ;) I find checking browsers to determine it won't work superfluous :lol:
Hans

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hans, thanks for your reply. I have checked on my Windows 10 laptop and both your sites are fine. Using the iPad the titles of each box show but nothing inside them. Oddly, the graphs at the bottom show just fine.

I have checked and I do have Javascript enabled on my iPad.

I don't acccess bank sites on my iPad. I only access them via my Windows 10 laptop. My iPad is not used on any high security sites.

It's not really a complaint as such. Just a question as to why such basic info isn't visible but the answer appears to be the limitations of the iOS and what it can (and can't) support.

@Mapantz, what is "private browsing"?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

HansR

Post by HansR »

RayProudfoot wrote: Fri 05 Aug 2022 11:14 am Hans, thanks for your reply. I have checked on my Windows 10 laptop and both your sites are fine. Using the iPad the titles of each box show but nothing inside them. Oddly, the graphs at the bottom show just fine.

I have checked and I do have Javascript enabled on my iPad.

I don't acccess bank sites on my iPad. I only access them via my Windows 10 laptop. My iPad is not used on any high security sites.

It's not really a complaint as such. Just a question as to why such basic info isn't visible but the answer appears to be the limitations of the iOS and what it can (and can't) support.
OK. Don't forget to check iPad with others. That might give valuable info.
Are there any updates waiting for your iPad (notably the browser and the javascript)?
Hans

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

HansR wrote: Fri 05 Aug 2022 11:31 am
OK. Don't forget to check iPad with others. That might give valuable info.
Are there any updates waiting for your iPad (notably the browser and the javascript)?
Sadly there are no updates now for my iPad Air bought in April 2014. I use it to read my newspaper and it’s performed admirably. I’ll probably buy a new one and sell this privately for a bargain price.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

HansR

Post by HansR »

OK. But do check a new one can read these websites ;)
Hans

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

HansR wrote: Fri 05 Aug 2022 11:59 am OK. But do check a new one can read these websites ;)
With the latest iOS it should. If it can’t then I would look at the website, not the iPad. My iOS is v12, the latest is 15. So, big changes.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.