Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Error in rain data

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

perl
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Buster Lite rPi

Error in rain data

Post by perl »

I have used Cumulus for several years, but to day it is CumulusMX that gives mee trouble, and I hope somebody wil take time to explain how to correct this error.

This is from my CumulusMX running on a raspberry:
Screen Shot 08-04-22 at 10.42 AM.PNG
Screen Shot 08-04-22 at 10.51 AM.PNG
Screen Shot 08-04-22 at 10.46 AM.PNG
I have tried to correct it on the webpage (deleted ini files and db), and I think I have got rid of the error on the webpage, but still no luck on CumulusMX.

There is made a lot of very good ways to correct Records and dayfile, but I don't see a way to let CumulusMX repair itself with data from dayfile and NOAA reports. I have dayfile back to 2014.
Screen Shot 08-04-22 at 11.10 AM.PNG
Screen Shot 08-04-22 at 10.43 AM.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
perl

Re: Error in rain data

Post by perl »

I found the 88mm in the file cumulusmx.db
Screen Shot 08-04-22 at 08.13 PM.PNG
But I deleted the cumulusmx.db - and this means that the data is found from where??????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Cumulusmx.db is a derivative. The fact that you see that 88 mm in the dashboard means it is in the datafiles and registered by CMX.

What wonders me is the fact that the amount of july is the same as the year amount.
As if the whole thing has a start of year in july. Southern hemisphere. Weird, but did you make some changes? Does it ring a bell?

[Edit] And CMX does not use the reports to fix datafiles because the NOAA reports are derivatives.
Everything is stored in the datafiles and I would advise you not to change anything in data until you know where this problem comes from or you may make the problem bigger than it alteady is.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
perl

Post by perl »

On the 1. of august I removed my old card with Cumulus MX from my raspberry and installed Raspberry Cumulus MX release 3.19.0 on a new SD card.
Moved files from my old data directory to the new data directory and started cumulusmx.

I read that I could stop Cumulusmx and delete ini files and the system would create new ones when restarted. I had reasonable success with this after correcting records and deleting these erroneous monthly log rain data.
Stopped CumulusMX and removed cumulusmx.db which then was restored after reboot.

In any case, it seems that the information on https://vejr.perlaustsen.dk after these adjustments now reflects the correct amount of precipitation.
On the other hand, I can now see in monthly datalog that the 88mm appears again and that the only ini file that contains these 88mm is today.ini and then I can see the 88mm in cumulusmx.db.

If I stop cumulusmx and delete theese 3 files and start again, do I then get rid of the 88mm ? - or where else can they be ?

What about dayli rain? - Where are theese data stored?
Screen Shot 08-05-22 at 09.47 AM.PNG
For information: I have some CRC errors in file creation and upload which can cause periodic errors on the website, but I am also working on that, as well as 2 lines with August 4 in the dayfile :(
HansR

Post by HansR »

In the menu you find the data logs choice. I assume that 88 mm is in the dayfile somewhere. Check the rainvalues in the dayfile and correct when necessary. Changing things in the monthly logs is not of much use directly though in the end you will have to look at those as well.

Then correct the records (from the Edit menu choice).
Today.ini you will have to edit by hand: switch off CMX and edit the file to what you want it to be, restart CMX.

Having done all that and when you are satisfied regenerate your NOAA reports.

I have no idea where and how this went wrong but I assume you made an error somewhere in the order of things. Hope you get it right now.

Cheers,
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

btw, I don't see any data at all on tour website.
Hans

perl

Post by perl »

Hi Hans,

This is the result from my last try:
Screen Shot 08-05-22 at 11.37 AM.PNG

Somebody must know what is behind "Todayfile" ??????

If I stop CumusMX then there is no data og wrong data on my webpage.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Todayfile must be Today.ini.
As I said: shutdown CMX, edit Today.ini (in the data directory) and give it the value it needs. Then restart CMX. Then you should be OK.
And yes, the use of the filename could be clearer but it isn't. That's life.
Somebody must know what is behind "Todayfile" ??????

If I stop CumusMX then there is no data og wrong data on my webpage.
Today.ini stores the latest values to use at startup. Not only somebody knows, most people know. And it is in the wiki. Reading the wiki is fatiguing, I know, but it is as entertaining, educational and difficult and sometimes inspiring. Take your advantage.

And yes: if CMX is shutdown there is no program running to feed the interface. That is how CMX works, it is permanently running to pass information to the user and gather data from the devices. To remember what is has gathered and shown to the user it has the good habit of storing data in the datafiles. The ini files in the datadirectory are for record keeping, the log files are the actual data. I would advice you only to edit the files through the data editors (as I explained above). The Today.ini is an exception.
Hans

perl

Post by perl »

Hi,

No it did not work. It had still problems with rain counter. I tried 3 times, but every time I had problems with raincounter. I also tried to delete backups with no luck, so at last I started all over and made a new SD card with Cumulus MX 3.19.0 b.

Late yesterday evening I got it up running. Ok I missed some data, but I can fix it.

Although it was a completely new installation and I only transferred my dayfile, I had problems with raincounter again.
Screen Shot 08-06-22 at 07.55 AM.PNG
Cumulus is looking for data it can insert in the various places, but I still haven't found the explanation for these numbers, and I absolutely miss an option to manually adjust the raincounter. I think it is the biggest problem with cumulusmx, that it finds data and we are not able to correct them - specially here:
Screen Shot 08-06-22 at 07.47 AM.PNG
If you have any possibility to influence the programmers then I really think it is something that needs to be looked at and improved.
I started on the 1st of August and have been working on it and finished with a workable solution on the 5th of August although it is still buggy. It must be possible to do better.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Mark will be back after the weekend so I advise you to wait for him to comment.
Hans

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I think we need to take a step back and see what values you have now, and what you think they should be.
(ignore the rain counter for now - it is an internal counter provided by the station and used by CMX to compute daily values etc, it's value may or may not relate to anything you see)