Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Station update not working

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

rons47
Weather Station: Aercus WS3085
Operating System: Windows 10

Station update not working

Post by rons47 »

Just installed latest Cumulus MX. Using Aercus WS3805 station and console. All worked OK in Cumulus 1.

Have connection OK to weather underground. Admin Dashboard shows data, but not refreshing, and station update does not refresh after startup. Have attached MX Diags folder as a ZIP, and three screen shots to help explain the problem. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Station update not working

Post by mcrossley »

Could you switch on debug and data logging under Program Settings please. Restart, let MX run for 5 mins then post the latest log file again. Cheers.
rons47

Post by rons47 »

Thanks Mark

2 files attached - service console log and debug log.

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Hmm, looks like a bug in CMX to me :(
I'll investigate....
BrunswickWeather
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1103
Operating System: windows 11 Pro/Raspberry pi 4

Post by BrunswickWeather »

I have the WS3085 also, no problems with Windows 11 and using a separate console with Raspberry both refreshing OK
The log from rons47 shows different logging time on the console and CMX (2022-06-29 23:23:03.506 Warning, your console logging interval (30 mins) does not match the Cumulus logging interval (10 mins))
rons47

Post by rons47 »

Thanks for that.
I can't find where to set the console logging time. Cumulus 1 on Windows doesn't seem to have that configuration item. Any idea?
Ron
BrunswickWeather
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1103
Operating System: windows 11 Pro/Raspberry pi 4

Post by BrunswickWeather »

Easyweather software from Fine Offset
http://www.foshk.com/Support/software/34.html
Use it to configure the console and download data to a database (MS Access)
Don't run CMX at the same time
Click on the bottom Easyweather text
rons47

Post by rons47 »

Well A new day.
I ran the setlogger.exe utility, and set it to 10 minutes. Restarted Cumulus MX and now all seems to be working OK. Station update is now every 10 seconds, and the "now screen" looks good. Weather Underground is getting updated too (ICENTR233)
Let's leave this open and I'll confirm all is OK later today AU time.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

TLDR: I don't recommend using the synchronise option on stations with solar sensors. It probably adds nothing and may be harmful on stations without solar sensors as well.

OK, there is a problem with the synchronisation code. It was written to take account of the 48 second data updates, however if you have a solar sensor it also updates at an independent 60 second period as well. This will mess up the timings completely. There is also a bug in the 48 second code that means it may fail to calculate the period accurately.

Regarding the setting of the station logger period, CMX has had the ability to do this built-in for a long time. If enabled, then at start-up if the station logger period does not match the CMX period the station period is changed.
rons47

Post by rons47 »

Thanks for the advice Mark
Where in CMX do you set and enable the logger period. I didn't see that on the admin config screens.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

rons47 wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 11:41 am Where in CMX do you set and enable the logger period.
Last time I looked it was mislabelled as set the Davis interval so that might be why you didn't find it!
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
I have a Davis station, so not a WS3085, and after selecting the Station type > Station settings, General Settings > click on my Davis station type > Advanced Options > Logger interval: Set the Davis Logger interval to match Cumulus MX interval

I have then tried it on a CMX test install by selecting a Fine Offset station type > Fine Offset Advanced Options > Set Logger Interval:
Set the FineOffset Logger interval to match Cumulus MX interval.
So this seems to show it correctly.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 8:12 am TLDR: I don't recommend using the synchronise option on stations with solar sensors. It probably adds nothing and may be harmful on stations without solar sensors as well.

OK, there is a problem with the synchronisation code. It was written to take account of the 48 second data updates, however if you have a solar sensor it also updates at an independent 60 second period as well. This will mess up the timings completely. There is also a bug in the 48 second code that means it may fail to calculate the period accurately.
At least I suffered from quite regular station lockups with my two old wh1080:s (without solar) until taking the sychronization in use. I have not seen any notable adverse effects with it. Both consoles are over 10 years old, so maybe the newer ones behave better regardless of the sync.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

SamiS wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 5:02 pm I have not seen any notable adverse effects with it
I believe that everyone will find many posts in favour of Fine Offset synchronization for Cumulus 1 users.

Equally, predominately for MX user posts, suggest better to disable synchronisation as per Mark's bug advice for both with and without solar.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I have done some work on this today.

First I wanted to confirm that the 48 second update was actually 48 seconds. If we get that wrong then nothing else will work.

With CMX sampling my old WH1090 console every 0.5 seconds (as the synchronisation process does), then there was obviously a bit of jitter between each update. But after an hour the time came out at 47.9984 seconds, that is 99.997% of 48 seconds. So that value looks correct.

Next I have rewritten the synchronisation code to include a correction for the solar data - I assumed it is accurate to 1 minute as I do not have any kit to test this.

The sync code now seems reliable and does stop reading the station around the time my sensor transmits.

I looked at the code suppressing the read when the historic data block is changed. This happens on a minute, at the set logger interval. Determining this is problematic as it means the synch code would have to "hammer" the station with reads for an extended period (what if the user had 30 minute logging intervals!). There is already code in there to suppress the read of the actual data if the logging block changes, so I think I will leave as the sole avoidance mechanism for those events and see how it goes.

I've also changed the station read time from 10 seconds to 16. We will still get two reads of the data per 48 second update, but...

This means it is a divisor of the 48 second transmissions. So if we get a clash MX will shift the read timer by 8 seconds to hopefully avoid totally them from that point onwards. Also 16 is not a divisor of 60, so the reads should never stay in sync with the console logger block changes.