Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Updated Mono and now will not run on startup

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

The Dalek Hunter
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000B, Ecowitt GW2000
Operating System: macOS Sonoma on a Mac Mini M2

Updated Mono and now will not run on startup

Post by The Dalek Hunter »

I have two instances of CMX running - one on a Davis Station and the other on an Ecowitt Station. They are both running on a Raspberry Pi with Bullseye and both are the latest version of CMX. There was an update to Mono this morning which I applied to both.

https://longsuttonweather.co.uk

https://longsutton-weather.co.uk

After the update CMX starts on the Davis one after a reboot but not on the Ecowitt (both are started as a service).
If I manually start the Ecowitt one with systemctl restart cumulusmx it works fine.

systemctl status cumulusmx gives a Mono error

May 19 07:19:39 Ecowitt-Pi mono[401]: CumulusMX.exe: Sequence contains no elements

No idea why one is working and the other isn't.

I have a startup delay of 30 second for both of them.

Any ideas.

**EDIT**

I found this post viewtopic.php?t=20382

and added ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 10 to the service file and it seems to work fine now!
But why the problem on the Ecowitt station and not the Davis?
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Updated Mono and now will not run on startup

Post by freddie »

Which version of Mono did you upgrade to? Other Pi users may be interested in this...
Freddie
The Dalek Hunter

The one that was offered via the standard update ie sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

mono -V returns

Mono JIT compiler version 6.12.0.179 (tarball Tue May 17 21:57:31 UTC 2022)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS: __thread
SIGSEGV: normal
Notifications: epoll
Architecture: armel,vfp+hard
Disabled: none
Misc: softdebug
Interpreter: yes
LLVM: yes(610)
Suspend: preemptive
GC: sgen (concurrent by default)
AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi there

I just ran the mono upgrade from my RPi via the usual method after preparing a backup copy of CMX.

So sudo apt update and sudo apt update, the update is quite slow but mono always does update slowly, then sudo reboot and check CMX restarts OK.

Since my CMX software data was not moved CMX started with no problem, a restart of CUtils produced no unexpected issues and my website looks as expected.

The new version of mono is Mono JIT compiler version 6.12.0.179 (tarball Tue May 17 21:57:31 UTC 2022)

For completeness I run a Davis VP2 console through a RPi 4 model B Rev 1.1 using Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
The Dalek Hunter

As I said in my first post - my Davis setup worked fine after the Mono update, it was only the Ecowitt one that failed to restart on boot and needed tweaking.

Interested to know why. Both are running on a Raspberry Pi 4b with the same memory and the latest version of Bullseye with all the latest updates. Both have a 32 gb SD card of the same class. Both are connected via ethernet. Both have a 30 second startup delay in their settings.

The Davis uses a WLL and the Ecowitt uses the GW1000B Gateway.