Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Potential issue with sunshine hours when loading from Archive

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Potential issue with sunshine hours when loading from Archive

Post by mcrossley »

I'm not sure that would work any better.

Take 4 intervals at 50%, 80%, 90%, 65%

Currently that would count 10 minutes of sunshine (0 + 5 + 5 + 0).

Taking the mean would also count 10 minutes (0 + 0 + 5 + 5).

But we know there was *some* sunshine in two five minute blocks, and we rule out one because there was no sunshine in the previous 5 minutes and another in because it was previously "sunny". All we really know is that there was somewhere between 8 seconds and 10 minutes of sun in that 20 minute period.

The problem we cannot get around is that we just do not have the data to do anything other than make guesses at what happened in reality.

Do you have a log with data capture enabled for the last catch-up say, then we try and work out what the effect would be?
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

I'll set up some logging to see if we can work out what if any options might be possible. This is not critical for me as I said I run live systems 24x7 so I'd only use catchup for short periods of probably no more than 5 or 10 minutes. It would be nice if it could be improved though.

Stuart
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Stuart, on the previous solar topic, is it possible you extract the WD theoretical values for day?

I'll then compare with the MX values and see if there is anything appreciable difference.
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Mark I have setup a custom log file in WD which will catch the solar data, date time actual reading expected max for time percentage and description.

Stuart
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Mark I have started to capture the solar data for today from WD. I have taken an extract from it so far today as I wanted to compare the expected max solar value from WD against my script which is available online to make sure my figures in that are inline with what WD is producing. So far today the script produces figures inline with WD to +/- 2 w/m² for each minute which means the script does largely agree with WD. The script is at https://www.stella-maris.org.uk/maxsolar1.phtml. I will let you have the full data from WD after sunset.

Stuart
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Mark I have sent you an email with two spreadsheets containing the data you requested from WD and my CMX database.

Stuart