Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ecowitt HP2551 missing data

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

access-mdb
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Raspbian OS

Ecowitt HP2551 missing data

Post by access-mdb »

My setup is on a PC that I normally keep running. However, when I go on holiday later this month I don't want to leave it running, so I was very happy when Mark fixed CMX to catch up after a stoppage. I tried doing this this morning by switching off for 50 minutes or so. When I restarted the data was missing from the May log file. So the question is, why is it missing? Have I done something wrong? Version running is Release 3.15.3 - build 3173. The console was running and the data is on the Ecowitt website.Attached is the diagnostic log
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Ecowitt HP2551 missing data

Post by mcrossley »

Cumulus asked the Ecowitt servers for all data at 5 minute intervals between...
start_date=2022-05-01 06:36
end_date=2022-05-01 07:17

And the answer was...
"msg":"success", "data":[]

No data!

Can you double check your MAC address, and check there is data for that period showing on ecowitt.net?
access-mdb

Post by access-mdb »

Well I wondered if it was because of my PC being BST and the console being UTC. But there's no data missing on Ecowitt either between 05:40 and 06:00 or 06:40 and 07:00. The PC was off between 0640 and 0700 BST.The MAC address on the Ecowitt.net and the one on CMX are the same, so I assume that's correct.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

If you are willing to send me your API keys in a private message, I can take a look and see if there is a time issue.

Ecowitt choose not to use UTC timestamps for their API, so what they mean is not really defined, but if you have data covering both time periods then something is (or was) wrong somewhere!
access-mdb

Post by access-mdb »

Hi Mark, I sent a DM but there's nothing in the sent box, so has it arrived?
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

access-mdb wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 9:09 pm Hi Mark, I sent a DM but there's nothing in the sent box, so has it arrived?
That's normal phpBB behaviour - it stays in your outbox until the recipient has read the message (strictly, when the recipient accesses their inbox). Only then will it move to the sent box.
Freddie
access-mdb

Post by access-mdb »

Thanks Freddie - but there's nothing in the outbox either.
freddie

Post by freddie »

access-mdb wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 7:09 am Thanks Freddie - but there's nothing in the outbox either.
Ah okay, I didn't realise that. Have you successfully sent a PM before now?
Freddie
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Nothing received yet.
access-mdb

Post by access-mdb »

I have now and this time there's a message in the outbox. Not sure what happened first time.
Freddie, this was my first attempt.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Thanks, I'll take a look later tonight...
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

A bit later than I expected, but I took a look this morning.

I resubmitted your original request with start and end dates of...

start_date=2022-05-01 06:36
end_date=2022-05-01 07:17

And now I do get data back from the Ecowitt servers. However the data starts on 2022-05-01 07:40 BST, and ends 2022-05-01 08:10 BST.

So indeed the issue is your station and CMX running in different time zones.

The crazy thing is Ecowitt return all times in UTC, but they want the requests in the station time zone.

When using date-times in an API the answer is always "use UTC, now what's the question?" :groan:
access-mdb

Post by access-mdb »

Thanks Mark, at least we know now. I will have to put my PC into UTC all year mode. I only use it as a webserver (local for just me, don't ask) and also CMX. I have OneDrive on it, with all files kept on it. I doubt that will cause an issue. I also copy all those OneDrive files outside OneDrive - part of my backup procedures - belts and braces, just in case.
I'll change to UTC (after stopping CMX), then use the relevant backup to start from before the outage. I'll let you know the outcome!
Longer term, get a Raspberry Pi and use that for CMX and as my webserver. Freddie, if I get there I don't doubt I'll be asking you for help! :lol:
freddie

Post by freddie »

access-mdb wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 9:39 am Thanks Mark, at least we know now. I will have to put my PC into UTC all year mode. I only use it as a webserver (local for just me, don't ask) and also CMX. I have OneDrive on it, with all files kept on it. I doubt that will cause an issue. I also copy all those OneDrive files outside OneDrive - part of my backup procedures - belts and braces, just in case.
I'll change to UTC (after stopping CMX), then use the relevant backup to start from before the outage. I'll let you know the outcome!
Longer term, get a Raspberry Pi and use that for CMX and as my webserver. Freddie, if I get there I don't doubt I'll be asking you for help! :lol:
:) Happy to help with anything Linux/Apache--related. I'm glad you got to the bottom of this problem.
Freddie
access-mdb

Post by access-mdb »

OK, I have bit the bullet and changed the PC to UTC. I stopped CMX, made a backup copy of the current data folder (just in case), copied the relevant backup over, removed BST then restarted CMX. The missing data has been restored.
At least now, we all know that the device that CMX getting HP2551 missing data needs to be in on UTC all year round.
Thanks for all the help. :clap: