Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Reed Switch Orientation

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
STG
Weather Station: Homebuilt
Operating System: 10

Reed Switch Orientation

Post by STG »

Hi all,
I am trying to build my own weather station and I am having lots of problems with the wind vane.

I am currently trying the reed switch method and would like to ask a few questions.

Which is the best way to orient the reed switches to the magnetic. ie do the metallic strips of the reeds need to be above/below each other or do they need to be side by side or at 45 deg etc.

I have been trying for approx a 2 weeks to work this out but keep struggling. First my magnet was to weak, so I brought another but this was way to strong as the all the reeds connected when the magnet was within 15cm so I am now buting another magnet and then I also tried different orientations but keep gettign different results.

Thanks
STG
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Reed Switch Orientation

Post by sfws »

The photos here and here and maybe most clear in this post
suggest that in one design of weather station, the direction of movement of the magnet is such that it passes over the thin edges of the reeds one after other. Put another way, the magnet and reed move in same direction.
The photos do not show the orientation of the magnet with regard to its poles, and that is likely to be more crucial than movement direction.

But that is just my interpretation of a few photos in the forum, it is too many years since I last fitted a reed switch for me to remember the orientation experiments I did.
There may be advice in technical specifications online about your particular reed switch.
Last edited by sfws on Tue 03 May 2022 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

The lines of the actuating magnet field need to run along the length of the Reeds, so it doesn't matter if the reeds face each other "sideways" or "one above the other". This magnetic field turns the two reeds into "bar" magnets and since they are offset end to end, a North Pole faces a South Pole and opposites attract!

The field lines outside of the body of a (permanent) bar magnet (e.g. made from iron or ceramic materials) run from the pole near one end to the pole at the other, approximately parallel to its axis. Therefore the "best" (most sensitive) way to activate a reed switch is to place a permanent bar magnet beside it (i.e. with their axes parallel to each other). However, IIRC Fine Offset actually arranged their magnets at right angles, but with one end of it and the reed switch close together, thus using the "radial" component of the magnetic field, where it exits at one end of the magnet.

Modern Neodymium magnets are often disc-shaped, with N and S poles on opposite faces, so they can be considered as a very "short" circular bar, but still with a very high field strength, so may need to be positioned some distance away from the reed switch. The field strength tends to reduce by the "inverse square law" of distance (i.e. 25% field strength if the spacing is doubled).

Cheers, Alan.
watsonm
Weather Station: N96GY -but like Triggers Broom!!
Operating System: Raspberry Pi4 Vers:11 Bullseye

Post by watsonm »

Modified my Fine offset wind vane as per the picture. The magnet is a Neodymium magnet from amazon and on the other side of it I put a couple of dabs of super glue. I now get all 16 weather points registering and it doesn't seem to "helicopter" as much but time will tell.

Code: Select all

Number of "Hits" on each segment over 3 hours:

Wind Array    29,    20,     4,     6,     3,     2,     5,     9,    18,    35,   110,    63,    14,    54,    76,   170, 
and after a day or so:
Wind Array   800,   440,    40,    20,    27,     3,    11,    17,   150,    40,   216,    78,    36,   135,   552,  1235, 

Sorry I don't have a display of before the update.

(The picture is not of the unit I am using as I forgot to snap it before installation. I created this from another vane to show the magnet and balancing blue tack!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor