Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CUtils web tag

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

CUtils web tag

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

A quick question, is there a webtag that describes the version number of CUtils? If not no problem, I will just hard code the changes to my UserReport as and when needed.

Also the new version of Cutils installed and worked perfectly.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: CUtils web tag

Post by HansR »

Hi Andy, well definitely not a webtag as CUtils is not CMX and as such outside the CMX webtag ecosystem. But the info can be made available just as I have the pwsFWI value available in a small text file ut I don't think that is how you want it to be available. I'll think about how to do this outside the standard systems.

Anybody with a great idea is welcome to suggest it ;)
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Andy, the easiest solution I can come up with is to create some reserved word to use as a webtag identifier, unique to CUtils, and have those filled in during webtag processing. But this means that your inventive idea to have the UserReports be handled by CMX for the operational solution, has to be abandoned because those unique webtags won't be known to CMX.

So for the version of CUtils you would be able to use <#CUversion> but it would only work when processed by CUtils.
Any other info you would like to see and for which a webtag would be useful?
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans
Well I tried that <#CUversion> tag in the following line in my CURPTAndyTest.txt:

"<td colspan="3">xx<#CUversion>xx</td>"

I then processed it with ...cumulusutils.exe userreports with the hope that I would see the version number highlighted with xx xx but all I got was xxxx and no version number.

If it worked I am quite happy to take the processing back into CUtils and run it in a faster crontab.

Any thoughts on the failure?
HansR

Post by HansR »

Well it failed because it is does not exist yet, it was a suggestion by me to solve the problem. But as you are happy to take the processing back to CUtils, I'll make it available in the next version :D
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Well that tells me then!
As for other web tags I am not sure but certainly the CUtils version number would help out.

So now I am pushing the envelope ;) If I use CUtils for the processing is it possible to selectively run the CURPT .txt files?

My basic UserReport and Today/Yesterday are good to run every 15/60 mins but the longer time frame reports only need to run once a day. At the moment the short term reports are run under CMX as Extra Web Files and the others under CUtils as CURPT.txt files.

Running all the reports under CURPT as crontab jobs will of course produce an excessive number of utilslog files which just clutter the utilslog, can they be suspended or should I just live with them? :roll:

Sorry if this is too much change, I understand if you feel it is not worth the effort.

btw your Stevenson screen project is coming on.
HansR

Post by HansR »

You find attached a 6.7.14 patch which has the webtag replacement. If you have a string in the report like '<#CUversion>' it will be replaced by the unformatted version number of CumulusUtils (so: '1.1.1'). I release this as a patch, useful for everybody. From here it will be included in subsequent releases. Any idea for other webtags will be easy to implement so anybody just need to ask.
AndyKF650 wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 4:30 pm So now I am pushing the envelope ;) If I use CUtils for the processing is it possible to selectively run the CURPT .txt files?
No that is not possible.
However, this processing is lightning fast so I would not worry too much. Just process at the highest frequency you require.
AndyKF650 wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 4:30 pm Running all the reports under CURPT as crontab jobs will of course produce an excessive number of utilslog files which just clutter the utilslog, can they be suspended or should I just live with them? :roll:
Wrt the number of logfiles: if you process Systeminfo, UserAskedData (and maybe others) just add the UserReports to that line. That will be roughly the same frequency and it will produce only one logfile. Yes, if you run often you get many logfiles so I advise: don't run too often :lol: The only option is to set the logging to OFF in which case you only see the messages confirming CUtils has run and completed (small sized logfiles). BUt I can't just simply switch the logging off.

The system has never been designed for a fine granularity of runs and output. It was designed with the three main frequencies of CMX in mind: realtime, FTP frequency and daily. Realtime you will not use with crontab so for crontab the two main frequencies are the 10 or 15 minutes (FTP frequency) and the daily run (usually the thrifty run). Full website runs I would advise only to do manually after a fresh install or update.

So far I don't think I will make selective runs of UserReports possible, unless ( :) ) real good arguments are given.

Let me know how it goes.
AndyKF650 wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 4:30 pm btw your Stevenson screen project is coming on.
Yes, I'm getting somewhere. Interesting exercise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Thanks for the info Hans.
I will look into this in the morning
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Once I had extracted the patch into the correct folder all worked perfectly. Now it is just a case of adjusting the crontab job to get the most appropriate update timeframe.

Hours of endless fun :D
watsonm
Weather Station: N96GY -but like Triggers Broom!!
Operating System: Raspberry Pi4 Vers:11 Bullseye

Post by watsonm »

Hans,
In response to Andys' post above you said:

"The only option is to set the logging to OFF in which case you only see the messages confirming CUtils has run and completed "

where do I do this as I can only see FtpLog=Off in cumulusutils.ini

My utilslog directory was getting filled with lots of 22xxxxxxxxcumulusutils.log files. I have temporarily soft linked them to a ram directory but would like to turn them off now.

Edit:
Crontab changed to add UserReports.

1 0 * * * cd /home/pi/CumulusMX; utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe thrifty website
9-59/10 * * * * cd /home/pi/CumulusMX; utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe sysinfo UserAskedData UserReports
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor
HansR

Post by HansR »

@Andy: OK. The time interval would be best to sync with the FTP frequency used in CMX. I think :)

@Mike: As I wrote above, it is not possible to really switch logging off, just to minimize the nr of lines. You do that by setting TraceInfoLevel=Off (section general). The FtpLog to off really switches the FTP log off and does not generate a file. But it is only about FTP.

However, as I replied to Andy, there is no possibility to switch off regular logging (only to minimise the lines with TraceInfoLevel=Off). Every activation of CUtils results in a logfile which are saved for two days after which they are automatically deleted. The trick is to have limited activations of CUtils (once per day for the Thrifty website run and 4 or 5 times per hour for the UserAskedData and other commands. It is probably the higher frequency which bothers you a bit (for wear out of the SD card if I understood an other discussion well). For the wear out fear the RAM disk is an OK action I guess.

But OK, there is apparently a wish to have no logfiles at all. I will think about the possibility to switch logging off completely.
Hans

watsonm

Post by watsonm »

Hans,
Thanks for considering this. When I checked the traceinfolevel it was set to none so I have changed it to Off.
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor
HansR

Post by HansR »

@Andy, @Mike: Attached you find the beta for v6.8.0 which contains the possibility to switch logging off. Run once to have the parameter LoggingOn appear in the inifile, set it to false (or off, as long as it is not true) and run again. This time you will see no logging in file nor on screen. I adjusted the Wiki.

Without remarks I will release this tomorrow or friday.
See preliminary Release Notes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hans

watsonm

Post by watsonm »

Hans,
Working OK for me. Many thanks. :D
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

That worked for me logging is now suspended until reactivated in the .ini file

I have set the crontab job to run every 15 mins between 07:00 and 22:00 which works for me and the code is a s follows:

*/15 7-22 * * * cd /home/pi/CumulusMX; utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe userreports