Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How is your external Webcam powered?

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

How is your external Webcam powered?

Post by geoffw »

I'm looking to upgrade from a simple usb webcam peering through a window to an external IP camera.

I'm wondering about those that do not need an external power source such as the Reolink Argus PT or Argus PT 2K. Not solar powered as we are rather exposed here, but with an internal rechargeable battery. As security cameras mostly on standby I suspect the battery life might be reasonable, but for a weather station, banging out images every 30 seconds during daylight hours I wonder if they are practical option.

I am thinking about them as they seem so easy to set up and handle.

Anyone with any experience of using webcams that do not need a mains input?
Geoff
Cortmalaw
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Raspbian

Re: How is your external Webcam powered?

Post by Cortmalaw »

I don't know those models in particular, but unlikely to be a practical option.
Used as security cameras, IP cameras have internal processing and only power-up the WiFi connection to send a single image or short video when movement is detected. I regularly get messages from mine saying "there's too much movement - battery life will be seriously shortened" fromthe expected 1-2 years. Nocturnal IR illumination also adds battery drain of course.

Can you run a thin wire to the camera? It does not need to be mains; usually just 5v (USB-power). For USB data, wire length is restricted to 5m, but if just used for power you can make it longer.

Otherwise consider PoE (Power over Ethernet), but thge ethernet cable is thicker than just a 5v supply.
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Pity, it would be nice to have one fewer cables!
Geoff
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I installed the Reolink Argus2 in December. I have the solar charges package but have not yet set that up as too cold to do outside hookup, so for now just working from the battery.
I've charged by bringing in the camera (just pull it from its magnet base) and by running a temporary extension cord to it. It runs for about 30 plus days before needing a battery recharge. Hopefully we'll get some fine weather soon, and someone to help, to get the solar unit mounted.
I am not using the Argus2 for any website uploading, just for motion detection video capture, and periodic viewing live from App and Reolink Client on PC.

I do have a Logitech C920 USB camera mounted on the inside of a window and I FTP an image once a minute using IPTimelapse http://www.komokaweather.com/pictures/sebec/image.jpg
The Logitech image quality (as I can see from Windows > Camera) is quite good. But from IPTimelapse sometimes it is very bad and I haven't been able to get the IPTimelpse settings to improve it.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Thanks for your contribution. Interesting 30 days, that is rather more than Iwould have expected.
Geoff
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

My two oldest cameras aren't very high Res (720x???), but still produce rather good images for website usage.

Were originally 12V powered & over Wifi, but local congestion became painful.
Then in turn the AC plug packs failed after about 4 years, so switched them to PoE with external power splitters.
Works well for me, as they are attached to the building.

The N/S cameras are ESP32's & currently on USB 5V power.
They both need repositioning & the South one will end up on the power from the 12V/Solar setup on my station that powers the FARs.

http://weather.inverellit.com/webcams.htm

Not a D-Link fan, but this device does a good job for the money.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-net ... tl-poe10r/
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station: