Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Vantage Vue Comms problems

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
ptb
Weather Station: FO3083 and VP2
Operating System: Win 11

Vantage Vue Comms problems

Post by ptb »

For the last five years I've run Cumulus 1 and Fine Offset.
Just purchased Vantage Vue and want to run on MX within windows 10
I've installed Weatherlink to assist with setting up the Vue and it communicates via USB so the console and logger are working OK.
But I'm struggling to get it to communicate with Cumulus MX.
I've downloaded and installed the "silicon labs" USB /Serial Port emulator.
But using Weatherlink to reset the communication port from USB to serial is not successful as the software will not pick up the console / serial port.
Closing Weatherlink down and trying to use MX to find the serial port is also unsuccessful.
Within Device Manager there is no "Port heading", The device driver for the emulator is amongst the USB devices listed as USBExpress Device.

Any suggestions please??
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Vantage Vue Comms problems

Post by mcrossley »

So you tried to switch the logger into serial mode, and since then nothing will talk to it?

Unless anyone else has any suggestions I think that is possibly one for Davis support or your supplier?
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

It's not clear to me that the OP has tried using the CP210X USB to Serial Converter menu option on the Windows Start button to switch back to Serial mode. You can't switch back to serial mode from inside the WL program. Maybe the OP could confirm whether they've actually tried this?

I must say that the latest version of the Windows 10 Start button has totally butchered how these application suboptions work. Older Windows versions should be OK. You need to scroll down to the W's and then look at submenu options for Weatherlink.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
ptb

Post by ptb »

Thanks for reply.
Running Mx I couldn’t connect to console, “cannot find com1” was the error. So to check communication I opened weather link, but only way it would communicate between pc and console was with port set to usb.
After ensuring data was being received, i then set port in weather link to com1 (also later tried com5) but couldn’t communicate with console.
Closed weather link down and opened Mx but still could not link. Port in the ini file was set to com1 and later com5 but no luck
Hope that makes sense
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

@ptb: You don't appear to have read my post. Please look at the first sentence and try using the CP210X USB to Serial Converter menu option on the Windows Start button to switch back to Serial mode. Maybe you have done this but you're not explicitly saying so. Just clicking the Serial option inside the Weatherlink program is not sufficient - this won't work.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
ptb

Post by ptb »

Hi guys thanks for your replies
Acted on what you suggested running the usb/serial utility from start menu and all appears to be working properly now.
I’d installed driver through device manager but hadn’t realised there was also a program that needed running in the start menu.
Excellent. And thanks once again for your helpful responses
ptb

Post by ptb »

@prodata. Thanks for your reply seems to be some delay as messages are crossing. Anyway, all sorted and grateful thanks for your great advice.