Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WeatherLink Live now of interest.

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

WeatherLink Live now of interest.

Post by RayProudfoot »

As many of you know I’ve been running my VP2 weather station since May 2009. As well as the original Cumulus I also run Weatherlink using VirtualVP. But that is only a 32-bit program and there’s no version that will run on a 64-bit OS.

That means if / when my Samsung NC10 dies it would be nigh impossible to find another decent netbook that can run Windows XP. And that means the end of VirtualVP and running WeatherLink as Cumulus would have to take priority.

So rather than panic and run around like a headless chicken should that happen I’ve been researching my options. I’ve been reading about the new WLL unit and the very attractive software for displaying the data. But what was putting me off was all my historical data. Could it be exported from Cumulus or Weatherlink? Otherwise it would be like running a brand new station. Not attractive.

Reading an article on ProData’s site it appears WLL can import a tab-delimited text file output by Weatherlink. I’ve found the option and selected all years from 2009 up to today.

The resultant text file is 160Mb and contains 1.26 million records. One every 5 minutes for nearly 13 years. :o

There’s going to be some dirty data in it after my station went berserk in early December and recorded crazy rain amounts. But importing it into an Access database and correcting it as well as checking the rest isn’t too difficult.

Here’s the bottom line. If that file can be imported into WLL I’d have a complete record of my data back to 2009 which makes the WLL unit extremely attractive.

It would then give me more options for a replacement computer to continue to run Cumulus. I wouldn’t need Weatherlink on my NC10 any longer.

I could have stopped running Weatherlink many years ago but as I had the software to run both it and Cumulus I just left it running. Disc space is not a problem. Looks like that was a good decision.

Has anyone else running a WLL device exported their WeatherLink data in this way? Did it go through cleanly? And for those of you with a WLL are you happy with both it and the software?
Last edited by RayProudfoot on Sun 30 Jan 2022 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: WeatherLink Live now of interest.

Post by Mapantz »

I haven't used weatherlink software, so I can't answer your question fully. But, there is an option on the weatherlink live bulletin page, plus this: https://www.weatherlink.com/static/docs ... ctions.pdf

PS: would that mean you're swapping over to WLL for collection of all of your data, or would you be still using your data-logger with Cumulus?
And for those of you with a WLL are you happy with both it and the software?
I've swapped over to the WLL full time now. It means paying a subscription fee, but I don't mind having thought about it long enough. There's no software involved on Davis' part, just Cumulus MX for me.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Ray,
Yes it is me ;)
I am also still running Cumulus1 on an old Acer with Windows 8 and that uploads to komokaweather.com
I stop Cumulus1 twice a month to have WeatherlinkPC catch up the data. Why? just because I can...

I had bought an additional Vue console and then WiFiLogger so I used CumulusMX with that but still could not run 2 programs at the same time. I had used VVP years ago but that wasn't working very solid so abandoned it. With WiFiLogger (basically the same as WeatherlinkIP but can upload directly to many services like WU, WOW, CWOP, Windy, WC, PWS, AWEKAS, and also Weatherlink.com. I began WL.com uploading by WiFiLogger a few years ago but on a non-subscription free account and that is still going on.

In October 2020 I decided to get the Weatherlink Live as that allowed me to run more than one program at the time, including test running new CumulusMX versions. With the WLL I created a new WL.com account, and after the 30 day trial period I decided to get the paid Pro subscription as that allowed me to get catch up data for CumulusMX for the period CumulusMX was shut down. The free WL.com version does not have any catch up option, sorta like no-logger! I am glad I got the WLL and the Pro subscription. Yes some extra dollars but everyone needs to have a hobby, and I save a dollar or two as don't go to the pub!

Now to your old WeatherlinkPC data. There is an option in WL.com to import WeatherlinkPC data. I have not yet done that for my 2008 to current data from the old Acer so can't speak from actual experience, but there is a caution statement that says :
Import
Import historical data from the WeatherLink Computer Software to the WeatherLink Cloud. Before you begin, please make sure that you have already installed all of the sensors you intend to import data into and that your WeatherLink Live settings below are correct.

Note: You will need to upgrade your WeatherLink Live to Pro or Pro+ to access historical data. However, if you import data and your WeatherLink Live is not upgraded, the data will still be used in the “Almanac” area of the WeatherLink mobile app, where highs and lows for years, months, and days are shown.

For a detailed walkthrough of the import process, download the instructions.pdf.
WeatherLink Live Settings
Edit Elevation: 249 meters
Edit Time Zone: America/Toronto
Start Import
Not sure if the WL.com software is attractive but the bulletin page shows a lot of current/today data. With the paid Pro subscription then all the historical data can be viewed in line text or charts with easily selected data items. I am not 100% sure but I think your WeatherlinkPC can be set to upload to WL.com on a free account. JohnD would know much better on this.

WLL will update to WL.com even when your computer is not running. If the internet is down then WLL will store data until internet connection is restored so that is the logging feature of WLL. WL.com is a data source for programs like CumulusMX to do the catch up if you have the pro subscription, so from WL.com and not directly from WLL. There are some things different in WLL compared to console/logger.

I am sure I've missed some things...

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Me again,
Reading an article on ProData’s site it appears WLL can import a tab-delimited text file output by Weatherlink. I’ve found the option and selected all years from 2009 up to today.

The resultant text file is 160Mb and contains 1.26 million records. On every 5 minutes for nearly 13 years. :o

There’s going to be some dirty data in it after my station went berserk in early December and recorded crazy rain amounts. But importing it into an Access database and correcting it as well as checking the rest isn’t too difficult.

Here’s the bottom line. If that file can be imported into WLL I’d have a complete record of my data back to 2009 which makes the WLL unit extremely attractive.
Actually it is very important to distinguish the differences between WLL and WL.com.
WLL is only a device that receives from the ISS and whatever other devices it can, and send that to WL.com. No access directly to WLL as it is only a data receiver/processor and sender. WLL does provide live data stream to programs like CMX and also the Weatherlink APP. But it is WL.com that displays on website, and allows data to be Imported and also to download data in CSV format to your computer. I recently download one-year at a time several years from WL.com to my PC. You just enter the period you want to download and WL.com takes care of it and then when done sends an email with the compressed zip Excel file that you can unzip. Very easy, and as often as you want.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote: Sun 30 Jan 2022 6:39 pm I haven't used weatherlink software, so I can't answer your question fully. But, there is an option on the weatherlink live bulletin page, plus this: https://www.weatherlink.com/static/docs ... ctions.pdf

PS: would that mean you're swapping over to WLL for collection of all of your data, or would you be still using your data-logger with Cumulus?
Thanks for the link to that PDF. I would need to check my version of Weatherlink as I haven’t updated in many years. Hopefully that wouldn’t be a problem. I intend to continue with the logger and Cumulus as my website can only be updated by Cumulus. The WLL account is just for my own use.
Mapantz wrote: Sun 30 Jan 2022 6:39 pm I've swapped over to the WLL full time now. It means paying a subscription fee, but I don't mind having thought about it long enough. There's no software involved on Davis' part, just Cumulus MX for me.
I don’t mind paying a subscription either. It’s a hobby that gives me a lot of satisfaction.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Paul. Thanks for all that info. It sounds like you haven’t imported from Weatherlink data so as things stand I’d be the first. Appreciate the advice about being very careful with the import as once it’s in it cannot be removed. I certainly wouldn’t import 1.26m records in one go. :D

That’s why I’m hoping John Dann might chip in with his thoughts. I’d probably go for 2-3 months at a time over several days.

Yes, I understand the difference between the WLL unit which is just a vehicle for uploading weather data to a WL.com account. I’m happy with a Pro+ account as a basic one doesn’t suit my requirements.

And if course my existing console is unaffected with a new WLL unit. I have strong Wi-fi in my house so receiving from the two transmitters and uploading won’t be a problem.

The most complex part is uploading historical data and 13 years of it! But I can use Microsoft Access to generate a suitable tab-delimited file and if WL.com accepts one small file then outputting larger ones is not a problem.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

Interesting read....

My Weather PC has run weatherlink since back in 2016.
Scheduled tasks stop CMX twice a day & runs the command line "C:\WeatherLink\WeatherLink 6.0.5.exe -d".
The -d switch causes it to just download the latest data then exit without fully launching the app.

My data will contain some gaps & is still running to this day.
So assuming if I decide to upload I would need to not include the December forwards records that are already on WLL & that the missing data may or may not be an issue.

Edit,
Just did a rough export without changing units & get about 201600 records to the end of Dec 2021
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I'm happy now that my console isn't tethered to my mini-pc any more!

Also, I think I prefer the way Cumulus MX does a catch-up with the WLL.

For instance, I made a small error last week.. I moved my WLL to a better location, but forgot to plug it back in to the mains. The batteries ensured data was still being collected from the sensors, but it wasn't uploading to Davis, and it Cumulus MX wasn't getting the data either.

After two hours or so, I noticed that I had forgotten to plug the WLL in, so did so right away. WLL had then passed on all the missed data to the Davis' servers. I then thought to myself, Cumulus MX has missed those few hours of data, how do I get it back? If you close it, it sets the time that it was closed, so it will just collect data from that time when it's reopened, not the missed data from a few hours ago. DOH!

I then remembered, edit the cumulus.ini's timestamp, back to a few hours previous.. reopened Cumulus MX and it downloaded all the missing data quickly.

Having an AirLink too, I got all of that missing data as well. You wouldn't be able to do that with the console and data-logger.
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

Mapantz wrote: Sun 30 Jan 2022 11:20 pm Also, I think I prefer the way Cumulus MX does a catch-up with the WLL.
Mine has lost a slab of data about 14 hours wide.
Was following a power outage. About 1 hour.

Think the key facts are:

Power went out taking Wifi & a couple of the six switches down that weren't on UPS power.
WLL stayed up on battery.
CMX continued to run on Laptop battery at the start of the outage, but with no data & maybe suspended it's self.
Power came back along with all network.
Laptop got woken up again.

WLL has all the data for the day uploaded, but CMX hasn't downloaded the missing time frame.

Have on other occasions seen the laptop rebooted after an update or sleeping & in those cases when I restart MX it correctly retrieves all that data.

Missing data on that install is not an issue as it's simply a test platform at this point as my main site still runs of a different laptop that is USB to the console.

Edit

Mentioned in this post viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20068
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

@RayProudfoot: Sadly I only have time to dip in here occasionally. I suspect most points re WLL have already been answered upthread, but please post if you have any further specific questions.

All I would say is that trying to choose a more modern 'logger' to supersede eg a traditional USB one isn't the easiest of tasks. The main options of WLL, a WiFi or MeteoPi Ethernet logger or a Meteobridge Nano logger are all good choices, but each option obviously has pros and cons. If you haven't already found it, there's an overview of logger options on our main website at:

https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/pc_linkage.htm

But there isn't a single 'right' answer - it all depends on your detailed data-handling requirements, budget, software and OS preferences, how you feel about subscriptions etc etc. You can spend ages agonising over which is the better option for personal circumstances when, in general, any of them will do a good job, albeit with device-specific advantages and limitations.

Bottom line is that WLL is a good solution and if it feels acceptable to you then it may well be the best and simplest choice. But there are other options too. TBH if I was personally setting up a new station right now then I'd probably choose WLL as the receiver/'logger' and with uploads to weatherlink.com Pro as my frontline mechanism for viewing my weather data from anywhere. But then also with CumulusMX running on a Raspberry Pi 4 as a local resource for reviewing and processing the weather data in more detail, and also for uploading to cloud platforms that weatherlink.com doesn't directly support.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hello John. Thanks for your post. Much appreciated when you're a busy man.

I had read that article so have considered my options. I was about to post anyway as having checked my version of Weatherlink I'm on v5.9.3 and the latest version is 6.0.5. I downloaded the update version and launched it on my XP netbook. The process failed as .NET 4.5.1 is required for that version and that is not supported by Windows XP. So I have to remain on 5.9.3 for as long as I keep the Samsung NC10.

But is 6.0.5 required simply for exporting my data for later importing into a Weather Link Pro account? It seems doubtful since it's just an export feature and I can't imagine v6 is going to reformat 13 years of data.

I agree that if I was starting afresh with a new station the WLL / WL Pro combo would be ideal. But my website is still my primary concern - the WL Pro account would be of secondary importance.

So that means I need to retain my VP2 Console with logger. And when I need a new computer to upload data to my website it would only be able to run one weather program. So that means Cumulus. WeatherLink would have to go. I have no real desire to learn how a Raspberry Pi works - I've been a Windows man all my PC life. And whilst CMX provides many more features than Cumulus I have all I need and the software is robust.

John, have you tried importing historical data in your WL Pro account from WeatherLink? How did it go?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

RayProudfoot wrote: Mon 31 Jan 2022 12:32 pm I agree that if I was starting afresh with a new station the WLL / WL Pro combo would be ideal. But my website is still my primary concern - the WL Pro account would be of secondary importance.
This is one of those occasions where using Cumulus MX is the way forward. All I had to do was change my 'station type' to from Davis Vantage Pro 2 to WeatherLink Live in the Cumulus MX settings and everything carried on as normal. No more tethering via a cable!

Obviously, not possible on Cumulus 1, but I accept you're happy with using that. :)
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote: Mon 31 Jan 2022 12:47 pm
This is one of those occasions where using Cumulus MX is the way forward. All I had to do was change my 'station type' to from Davis Vantage Pro 2 to WeatherLink Live in the Cumulus MX settings and everything carried on as normal. No more tethering via a cable!

Obviously, not possible on Cumulus 1, but I accept you're happy with using that. :)
I have no issue with CMX. It's the web pages that would require a huge amount of work with the webtag changes. I don't have the energy or enthusiasm. :(
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

RayProudfoot wrote: Mon 31 Jan 2022 12:32 pm But is 6.0.5 required simply for exporting my data for later importing into a Weather Link Pro account? It seems doubtful since it's just an export feature and I can't imagine v6 is going to reformat 13 years of data.
To the best of my knowledge, the archive data format has not changed since about Weatherlink v5.2 (back in the Dark Ages). So I can't imagine that there would be any problem with v5.9 data.
I have no real desire to learn how a Raspberry Pi works - I've been a Windows man all my PC life. And whilst CMX provides many more features than Cumulus I have all I need and the software is robust.
I would say not to dismiss the Pi too easily. Yes there is, inevitably, a small learning curve but you really don't need to know more than a smattering of Linux to run a Pi and the CumulusMX image for the Pi makes it very easy to make the transition. And in routine use I suspect that you would almost forget that the Pi was there at all. Remember that when using CMX, the Pi is just a network-attached device that is running the CMX program. You actually view and use the CMX data from a browser on your main Windows PC - it's similar to using any browser-based program.
John, have you tried importing historical data in your WL Pro account from WeatherLink? How did it go?
I'm aware of quite a few users who have uploaded their historic data and I suspect that there are many thousands worldwide who have done so. That said, you only get one main chance to do the upload and it's vital to follow the instructions meticulously and to check thoroughly before pressing the upload button. But with care it's a reasonably straightforward process.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi John. Good news with the data export, thanks.

If the CMX software could seamlessly read my Cumulus 1 webtags it would be an easier decision. But with several highly customised pages it’s a daunting task to change them all.

Where does the CMX data reside? On the Pi or hosted on a user’s web hosting platform?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.