Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WeatherLink Live now of interest.

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: WeatherLink Live now of interest.

Post by RayProudfoot »

The Davis PDF detailing the import process is confusing. The FAQ section states if you only want to import some of your data (2015-2018) for example it says you can’t then reimport any of that data again.

https://www.weatherlink.com/static/docs ... ctions.pdf

But nowhere does it say it’s a one-off process. Do I really have to attempt to import 13 years of data in a single pass? I was planning to import one week then if that goes cleanly import a month then a year.

Finally, if all that was okay I’d then import the remaining years. Surely users get more than one pass for varying amounts of data? Would I really have to import 13.2 million records in a single pass? :o
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

The only official/recommended approach as far as I know is to do the upload in one hit. Unfortunately because the whole Weatherlink.com platform is managed and supported direct from Davis (though actually hosted on the Amazon Web Services servers - which is probably a good thing!), even dealers don't get much say or insight into what goes on behind the scenes. So we can only really pass on the official recommendations. And if there were any issues then they'd need to be dealt with direct by Weatherlink.com support - it's not the sort of thing that any local dealer could offer much help with.

If pushed, I might suspect (unattributably ;) ) that you possibly could get away with doing it in two hits but you'd need to take great care that none of the timestamps overlapped. But I would still strongly suggest doing it in one go. One other thing to remember is that there's currently no editing facility for data uploaded to weatherlink.com (at least, not last time I looked - features do sometimes appear without much publicity). An archive data editor is a feature that has been discussed for adding to the wl.com roadmap, but that roadmap contains many things and there's no knowing at all when a particular new feature might appear.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks for that John. Crikey! :shock: 13.2M records in a single pass. That could take a very long time. Even two passes with 6m each seems a huge load. I really should have set the interval to 15 mins rather than 5 all those years ago.

I've been reading through WX.net regarding the WL Pro software and it's disappointing no edit facilities are still available. I do pride myself on the accuracy and quality of my data as the dayfile.txt is imported into an Access database and analysed so any weird records would become obvious.

You do wonder why Davis would go to the expense of a new piece of hardware and then scrimp on the editing side of the uploaded data. All stations have hiccups from time to time. I'm currently editing the rubbish out of my December records from a WeatherLink export for that month when the station / console went berserk.

I may write to Davis about interest in the WLL unit but express disappointment that data cannot be edited. And also the limitation on the number of uploads from exported data from WL. I can't be the only person with millions of records to upload.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Having exported a month of data from WeatherLInk I'm concerned about the column descriptions. They appear to relate to data in the column immediately to the right. For example, The Temp Out column has the time; Wind Run shows W which is Wind Dir. See below. Can anyone who has WeatherLink confirm they see the same please? Version of WL would be helpful. I'm on 5.9.3.
WeatherLink_ExportedText.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

Off the top of my head, I think this is a tab-delimited file. So looking at it as a plain text file is misleading. Try importing it into eg Excel and then reassess.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

prodata wrote: Mon 31 Jan 2022 4:20 pm Off the top of my head, I think this is a tab-delimited file. So looking at it as a plain text file is misleading. Try importing it into eg Excel and then reassess.
I did and the columns matched the data. Bloody computers eh? :bash:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Sorry John, one other question. I have a separate transmitter for the anemometer as it’s lashed to a chimney and nowhere near the ISS in the garden.

Back in 2009 the ISS was on channel 1 and the anemometer on 2. But a couple of years ago a capacitor on the ane TX failed and was replaced. For reasons unknown the ane TX is now on 1 and the ISS on 2.

Is that likely to be a problem when the data is imported into the WLL software? I hope not.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Ray,
I am on v6.0.2 and just did a 2021 Export
If I cut A few lines from the Export into Notepad++ I get the same view as you. If II paste those same lines in excel the two lines of header align with the data, and the same if I open the Export the tab delimited file in Excel. So looks ok to me.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

PaulMy wrote: Mon 31 Jan 2022 4:49 pm Hi Ray,
I am on v6.0.2 and just did a 2021 Export
If I cut A few lines from the Export into Notepad++ I get the same view as you. If II paste those same lines in excel the two lines of header align with the data, and the same if I open the Export the tab delimited file in Excel. So looks ok to me.

Enjoy,
Paul
Thanks Paul, that’s very reassuring. I despaired this morning when the update came up with the message but it sounds exports with v5.9.3 will be fine.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Ray,
The reason I haven't tried the import is that my WLPC is still running and collecting data and want to include all the data when I import to WL.com.
If you find It can be done on more than one time then I'll do my existing.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Paul,
How many years of data do you have and what interval is set?

I’ve asked in the WX Forum and you can follow it here.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=43399.0

I’ve been thinking about a strategy to ensure the data doesn’t contain any dirty data. Export all data up to 31 Dec 2021 and then import the text file into an Access database which will allow me to sort on each column. Any dirty data is then easily seen and I can then edit the text file using Notepad++. I feel that’s a safer option than changing data in Access and exporting a tab-delimited text file.

I can easily check individual months starting Jan 2022 and then append it to the original file.

But first, some feedback from those who’ve done it would be helpful.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Ray,
Yes I saw your wxforum post and will watch it.
I have WL data from July 2008 and at first 30 min interval (Davis recommendation at the time nd I didn't know any better). Later changed it to 15 min, then 10 min as it is now. The whole (mystation) folder has 163 monthly data folders and is 48.5 MB.
I'll be cautious like you.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Paul, if my plan is successful then export your file and stick it on Dropbox. I can import it and check for weirdness.

I can identify records by date and time and you can edit the bad data. It sounds like your file would be smaller than mine. Maybe just 800,000 records! :lol:

Lots of water under the bridge first of course.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Someone on WX.net suggested I write to Davis support about this import. This was the automated reply...

“Your request for technical support has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff. During this holiday season we are receiving a high number of help requests...”

Seriously? What public holidays are there in the US on 1 February? If this is still the stock reply from Christmas / New Year it’s extremely concerning. It suggests their support is still as bad as it was last year.

And still no replies from anyone who has run the import process. You do have to wonder just how many people are using this device. The WX.net site is very popular.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Ray,
To your question https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/

Yes the time for a reply to a Davis online support can take a while but they have always replied for me.
My latest was Nov 24, 2021 (Wednesday before US Thanksgiving weekend) about my anemometer being mostly North direction, and a reply Thursday Dec 2nd asking for my mailing address for them to send a test cable to. I replied back to them Dec 3rd, and they confirmed shipping on Dec 3rd. Received the package about 10 days later. Not instant, but acceptable to me on this issue. If it is more urgent for me I call them and can usually get a live agent with some waiting time, but maximum 10 minutes.

I will also send them an online support request and see how that goes.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+