Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 1 or Cumulus MX Davis VP2

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Cumulus 1 or Cumulus MX Davis VP2

Post by Paul C »

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I have been a long term user of Cumulus, in fact I was one of Steve Lofts dummy testers years ago, basically if I could get it to work then everyone else could, as I wasnt too gifted in the computer department.

Now many years have gone by and I still use Cumulus 1.9.4 . Is it time to switch to MX ? - if I was a new weather station owner what would you suggest.

How easy is it to switch from Cumulus 1 to MX.

Many thanks

Paul
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Cumulus 1 or Cumulus MX Davis VP2

Post by PaulMy »

many years have gone by and I still use Cumulus 1.9.4 .
Many still do :)
Is it time
Cumulus 1 still works well with the same hardware - weather stations and computers.
to switch to MX ?
Times have changed... less reliance on big box PC, small Pi can do a lot, more WiFi and direct to internet, many of the old station models no longer available, more sensor options, new devices, etc.
CumulusMX does what Cumulus 1 does and more more more, and will also work with all those new things. So if any of these newer things interests you, then Yes "time to switch".
How easy is it to switch from Cumulus 1 to CMX.
I'd say quite easy. Putting the CMX program on your PC is likely as easy as C1. If you have C1-uploaded website then a bit of change.

You can do a total new version 3 CumulusMX install. (leave your version 1 C1 setup as is for now, just stop it and go back to it when you want while you are setting up CMX. If you have one of the newer stations that allows more than one weather program to access it then you can leave C1 running while at the same time setting up CMX). Then copy in your C1 \data and \Reports folders into the \CumulusMX\ install, and run CumulusMX.exe. When CMX is running the startup DOS-type screen will tell you to enter "localhost:8998/wizard.html" in a browser window and you will then get some settings prompts to do the basic settings. When you have finished that just stop CMX, at which time CMX will create a new Cumulus.ini settings file. Then restart CMX which will then have the Cumulus.ini settings file, and you will then have the CMX program Dashboard and all the data, views, etc. tabs to finish it to your liking.
if I was a new weather station owner what would you suggest.
Davis VP2 Plus and Weatherlink Live :clap: and Airlink :)

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

If it is a Windows machine and you copied the entire contents of your data directory and your Cumulus.ini it should set up CumulusMX exactly as you had Cumulus 1, so there is no need to set up the station.

If you are using the default web page that has changed and will have to set up.
David
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I’m running Cumulus on a Windows XP netbook. That OS cannot run CumulusMX so for me to change I would have to change my computer.

The Samsung NC10 I use has had a fan and HDD replaced in the last two years but otherwise has been running since April 2009 without problem.

For me to switch to MX is just too much hard work learning how a Pi OS works and getting my head around MX. I know the Cumulus software inside out and can edit out any bad data which is rare.

The effort to change is simply too much effort for me so I’ll be staying with Cumulus for as long as I can.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01

Post by water01 »

But you can run it on a Windows computer as well and there are many mini Windows machines that will run Windows 7 upwards which is what you require to run CumulusMX. If you have a spare Windows 7 licence from an old PC you can get a free Windows 10 licence to install on it.

This one at £129.95 even comes with W10 pro installed and has everything you need to run CumulusMX https://droix.co.uk/product/beelink-gk35-n3350/
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

@water01, why change what isn't broken? What Cumulus gives me is all I need.

The mini-PC requires a separate monitor. The beauty of the NC10 is it's lower power with a built-in screen. I'll probably look for a small netbook if or when this one gives up.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

RayProudfoot wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 11:34 am The mini-PC requires a separate monitor.
Only for the initial set up.. although, my Beelink is next to my main monitor that I do my work on, so it was simple to quickly tether the two via an HDMI cable.

After that, installed AnyDesk on it, so I can remotely access the mini-pc from anywhere in the house, on any device.
water01

Post by water01 »

Mapantz wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 12:07 pm
RayProudfoot wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 11:34 am The mini-PC requires a separate monitor.
Only for the initial set up.. although, my Beelink is next to my main monitor that I do my work on, so it was simple to quickly tether the two via an HDMI cable.

After that, installed AnyDesk on it, so I can remotely access the mini-pc from anywhere in the house, on any device.
I run mine headless as well and just use Remote Desktop Connection to access it (built in MS access software). As Mapantz said monitor is only needed on initial set up and I just used my main desktop monitor to do it, but as it has HDMI ports you could use a television initially.
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 12:07 pm

My only other monitor is upstairs so it would be a pain having to use that even temporarily. My preference is still for an all in one PC preferably something very similar to the netbook I already have. It has shown itself to be the perfect machine for running Cumulus.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Paul C »

Hi

Many thanks for the replies, sounds like it may be quite simple, especially if I have a windows machine which I do.

Time to have a big think and perhaps a test or two

cheers
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk