Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Total CumulusMX Raincounter

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
zerog
Weather Station: Davies Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04

Total CumulusMX Raincounter

Post by zerog »

Hi everyone,

first of all I hope that this hasn't been asked/discussed before and that it's not too specific. I'm currently working on storing rain data in an external database which is based on UTC time. Therefore I have to take care about daily rollover times, especially cause my stations (and therefore CMX installations) have a different timezone. Further, I want to avoid storing information twice (e.g. storing yearly rain counter and 24h counter).

Thinking about the problem, I came up with the following solutions:
  • Change CMX to rollover at UTC midnight and store corresponding value. Problematic if CMX runs in timezones with DST. And also quite complex, when querying the database for rainfall in specific periods and considering the timezone a user sits in.
  • Store the monthly/yearly counter. Same problem as above.
  • Store the value supplied under "Rainfall Counter" in monthly log files. I guess there exists no corresponding webtag. This is no option anyway, because for my Davis stations this is equal to the yearly value.
  • Have an alltime rainfall counter. To me, this would be the most logic way to store rainfall data. When someone, for instance, wants to know the rainfall of the last 48h from now this would be a simple subtraction of two values. And to avoid storing cumulative data one could also store this as relative value since the last data record and calculate a sum of records.
The alltime rainfall counter could be supplied natively by CMX as rainfall since CMX was installed (as webtag etc.). And users could be able to manually set/reset this value.

I really enjoy using CMX and I'm thankful towards everyone involved in development. Any opinion on the subject of storing cumulative (rain) data in a database and of course an implementation in CMX are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
zerog
Weather Station: Davies Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04

Re: Total CumulusMX Raincounter

Post by zerog »

Brief update: In the meantime I resolved this problem in a different way working with delta values per timestep. Feel free to close this or leave it open if someone else might need such functionality.
Thanks,
Chris
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Total CumulusMX Raincounter

Post by mcrossley »

The rainfall counter is a bit of a nightmare to be honest. I know Steve thought about changing it, but finding something "simple" that works across all the different station types that all report rain in different ways and that you can easily edit out spurious rainfall is not so simple! :(