Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ecowitt Advice

GW1000 WiFi gateway
davepaterson
Weather Station: HP2552 , WH40/WH68+WH57/GW1100C
Operating System: Windows 11/11

Re: Ecowitt Advice

Post by davepaterson »

My head is spinning and as it is now working 'leave well alone'. SamiS is probably correct as the keys are from the GW1100, but the MAC is for the HP2552 will get round to changing the keys sometime but now watching the game and drinking .
Gyvate
Weather Station: GW1x00/WH2650WiFi/HP2553/GW2000
Operating System: Win 11 (PC/RPi), Raspbian 11,WSL

Post by Gyvate »

I can only recommend to everybody (who hasn't done this yet) to thoroughly study the (whole !) thread https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0
and adopt proper namings not confusing station/model names and console/sensor names.

You will find there also plenty of other information which may enlighten you further regarding the different ways of communication of Ecowitt consoles/gateways with other "recipients" and many more things.

in order to see the pictures (important !), you will have to register at the wxforum.net forum.
apple8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Station Settings

Post by apple8 »

I bought a Ecowitt GW1100 with a view to later adding devices and replacing the Vantage Vue. I am uploading to the ecowitt.net and can see the data on the app.

I started MX on another laptop but can't get complete the settings screen. I selected HTTP and auto but the gateway device IP address does not populate and the Cloud access keeps saying the registration key is not valid.

Where am I going wrong?
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: Station Settings

Post by HansR »

apple8 wrote: Sat 18 Nov 2023 6:32 am I started MX on another laptop but can't get complete the settings screen. I selected HTTP and auto but the gateway device IP address does not populate and the Cloud access keeps saying the registration key is not valid.

Where am I going wrong?
I assume the GW1100 and the PC are on the same local network and have access to the internet?

I would fill in the CMX device form manually and avoid the auto-discovery. Apparently something goes wrong there.
But on the other hand I would use the Ecowitt API device (and also fill it in manually) or do you have a specific reason not to use the Ecowitt API device?

Wrt the keys: create two keys (I assume you have and fill them in. You need one (1) application key (for CMX) and one (1) API key. I assume you made those under your Ecowitt profile. Remove the old ones, recreate new App and API keys (give some non-confusable name although that won't matter in the validity of the keys). Fill in those new keys in CMX.

Save and try again.
Then see where you are.

If not successful I would not know... but then please switch on debug/data logging, restart and after half an hour post the MXdiags logfile.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
apple8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by apple8 »

Thanks Hans, that sorted things out, I used API device as suggested and redid the keys. Local host gauges are now showing internal Temperature and Humidity and Dashboard Pressure. MXDiags is showing a few errors which I think is from the missing devices. I will connect them over the next few days and see what happens.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Good :D
Hans

GWCTas
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH2901c
Operating System: Mac OS X 13.6.3

Post by GWCTas »

Please excuse a dumb question from a Newbie. I have returned after many years away and I am trying to connect Cumulus MX to Ecowitt cloud. I have configured the API's etc. and loaded into Cumulus settings. When I run Cumulus the dashboard loads but no data. What should the URL be to load the data?

TIA
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

You do not mention if you have configured MX to pick up your weather station. That is where the dashboard live data comes from.
David
GWCTas

Post by GWCTas »

water01 wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 7:57 am You do not mention if you have configured MX to pick up your weather station. That is where the dashboard live data comes from.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I understand where the data comes from. I have populated the settings in Cumulus MX to include the Ecowitt Cloud Access API details etc. but I feel I am missing something in the syntax of the URL or there are some other aspects I have missed. I have tried to search the forums to see what I have missed, but no luck so far.
HansR

Post by HansR »

GWCTas wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 8:21 am Thanks for the reply.
Yes I understand where the data comes from. I have populated the settings in Cumulus MX to include the Ecowitt Cloud Access API details etc. but I feel I am missing something in the syntax of the URL or there are some other aspects I have missed. I have tried to search the forums to see what I have missed, but no luck so far.
Maybe it is good tomention what device you are using.
And beside that: using the terms Ecowitt Cloud Access API may be confusing as the Ecowitt has three access possibilities (depending on the device):
  1. HTTP
  2. API
  3. Cloud
Cloud Access API as such does not exist.
Are you aware of these differences?
Hans

Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

when your CMX retrieves data from your console - either via the local Ecowitt API or via the customized server function - your data should be up-to-date and even if you have configured the backfill option, nothing will happen as CMX doesn't see a reason for this.
It will only do so if it detects a time gap between the last shutdown and the subsequent restart at restart time. Then only it will download the missing data. It will however not continue doing so until the next restart (just in case you expect that CMX would permanently download data from the Ecowitt cloud. That's not the case.)

But reading your post "...and I am trying to connect Cumulus MX to Ecowitt cloud. I have configured the API's etc. and loaded into Cumulus settings. When I run Cumulus the dashboard loads but no data. What should the URL be to load the data?" I am not sure what you are doing respectively what do you want to do. This sentence sounds a bit weird to me.

Could you explain in detail:
- what's your Ecowitt console and how it connects to CMX resp. vice versa ?
= how do you connect / what have you configured as your station (Ecowitt local API or custom server (http(Ecowitt) in CMX ? )
(as for the terminology: a station consists of a console and sensors - it's neither the console alone nor the sensor(s) alone wherever you may have put them - it's both. => CMX picks up the data the console sends - the console receives data from the sensors and processes them)

What URL do you want to use how to do what exactly ?
Could you please be more verbose.
I have the suspicion, that you have not fully understood the different APIs of Ecowitt and how to use them and also how to use them (and what for) with CMX.
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

in order to understand the data flow between sensors - consoles - data logger application software (like CumulusMX) and other 3rd parties (e.g. weather networks), please read https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0 chapter 8.

CMX only receives permanently data from a console/gateway it is connected to.
There are two ways to connect an Ecowitt console to CMX (depending on the console's capabilities):
- CMX retrieves data from the local Ecowitt Gateway API (GW1x00, GW2000, WH2650, WN19x0 consoles)
- CMX receives data via the Customized server function every (newer) Ecowitt console has; i.e. the console posts data to CMX
(in CMX terms the http(Ecowitt) "station")

Independent of that, if registered with Ecowitt.net and the data posting activated, the cosnole sends data into the Ecowitt cloud, exactly speaking so-to-say to your account in the cloud. This data can be seen in the Ecowitt dashboard at ecowitt.net and is stored there on a 5-minute interval basis for 90 days (longer time with be longer intervals - see also the above link chapter 14 - retention times and intervals).

Data in the Ecowitt cloud can be retrieved via some software using the Ecowitt cloud http API. Details see also the above link chapter 14.
CumulusMX uses this functionality in case you do not run CMX permanently (or an interruption has occurred). If the console was still able to post data to ecowitt.net during this interruption, CumulusMX can retrieve this data at the next restart provided the option has been activated in CMX and the APP key, API key and the MAC address of the console in question have been provided to CMX (and been saved to Cumulus.ini).

Then CMX checks against the last time stamp in the today.ini file (first section) and tries to retrieve the data which were posted between the last shutdown and the new restart and updates its database files (e.g. MMMYYYYlog.txt, and, if applicable, also the Extra Sensor file) and if necessary also the dayfile.txt file.
That's the so-called "backfill option". It's not a permanent download. Once the download is completed, CMX continues processing the data from its connection to the console (local API or custom server http post).

If you want to retrieve your Ecowitt cloud data yourself, under the above link chapter 14 this Ecowitt cloud API is documented, directly or indirectly via further links.

One can also retrieve data from the console via the local http console API. However, CMX does not do this.
GWCTas

Post by GWCTas »

HansR wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 8:46 am Maybe it is good tomention what device you are using.
And beside that: using the terms Ecowitt Cloud Access API may be confusing as the Ecowitt has three access possibilities (depending on the device):
  1. HTTP
  2. API
  3. Cloud
Cloud Access API as such does not exist.
Are you aware of these differences?
Apologies for the lack of detail. I'll respond in Gyvate's post.
GWCTas

Post by GWCTas »

Could you explain in detail:
- what's your Ecowitt console and how it connects to CMX resp. vice versa ?
My console is a WH2910c. I am on a MAC but I ran Cumulus MX using a Windows VM
= how do you connect / what have you configured as your station (Ecowitt local API or custom server (http(Ecowitt) in CMX ? )

I have connected to Ecowitt.net and I have created the App Key and the API and entered those into the Station Settings in Cumulus MX under the section "Ecowitt Cloud Access API".
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 10.43.11 am.png
(as for the terminology: a station consists of a console and sensors - it's neither the console alone nor the sensor(s) alone wherever you may have put them - it's both. => CMX picks up the data the console sends - the console receives data from the sensors and processes them)

Understand

What URL do you want to use how to do what exactly ?

I thought Cumulus MX could receive the data from the Ecowitt web portal?
Could you please be more verbose.
I have the suspicion, that you have not fully understood the different APIs of Ecowitt and how to use them and also how to use them (and what for) with CMX.

Your suspicion is correct :oops:
[/quote]

Apologies for the confused questions and lack of detail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

given the described scenario:
you have to use the customized server functionality in your WH2910 console (if there is a dialogue)
or in the WS View Plus app, choosing the entry EasyWeather(Pro)-WIFIxxxx from your device list
or, if you have a newer model with the EasyWeatherPro WiFi firmware, via its WebUI (http://IP-address of your WH2910 console)

entries to be made:
server/IP: the IP of your Windows VM
path: /station/ecowitt
port: 8998
interval 16 seonds

don't forget to press the "save" button and get a "Success" message popping up

In CMX: Settings --> Station settings --> General you choose "HTTP(Ecowitt)"

then (if ther are no firewall issue etc. in your Windows VM) CMX should receive your console data - after a CMX restart (!)

the download from the Ecowtt cloud by CMX only occurs (when activated in CMX with MAC address, APP key, API key) when there is a break in time between the last shutdown and a subsequent restart.