Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Synology NAS Support - Need Startup Help

A Forum to archive Cumulus MX development suggestions that have been rejected or solved by other means.
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Synology NAS Support - Need Startup Help

Post by galfert »

I've succeeded installing and running Cumulus MX on a Synology NAS. I can run it manually in a shell prompt with mono and I can manually kick it off with background mono-service also.

The problem I'm having is that Synology only supports startup scripts that adhere to .sh scripts:
https://help.synology.com/developer-gui ... _boot.html

I noticed that up until recently Cumulus MX included an init.d .sh script, and I read how it was removed for favoring systemd. The problem is that Synology NAS does not support systemd. I don't have a problem with systemd, in fact I prefer it, when it is available.

So I suppose I can go digging through an old Cumulus MX build and find the old .sh script or I can create my own.

But I would also like to share my installation process from start to end with the user community on how I achieved Cumulus MX to run on a Synology NAS and I'd like to make my instructions as simple as possible. Raspberry Pi are the rage lately but Synology NAS may be something that several people already have, so why get a Pi if you have a capable NAS.

I see that Freddie is well informed on this aspect from reading previous posts. I don't want to publish my Synology NAS instructions until the process can be the best that it can be. Maybe Cumulus MX gains back the option to have both systemd and init.d support? This way users of Synology don't have to create startup scripts from scratch and it would simplify my instructions a great deal.

Freddie, if you or anyone else would like access to a Synology NAS to troubleshoot this I can make that happen as I have several Synology NAS systems (including VM ones).

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
George
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
galfert

Re: Synology NAS Support - Need Startup Help

Post by galfert »

Well I just stumbled on this post:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907

I can't believe I missed that before. It was right under my nose. Is this the same .sh script that was included and then recently removed?

I'm still a bit confused that the topic I just linked to is still sticky. So if this is what was removed from Cumulus MX then why is that topic still sticky? Is that an oversight? Does it even matter? Is this what I is needed for Synology NAS?

My suggestion for Cumulus MX is that the software package should have the scripts to allow it to easily be run and started automatically from a Synology NAS.

I'd like to hear the experts opinions to see if we can come up with the best solution for the community. Again I'm all for systemd services, but maybe it is necessary to have both it and init.d / rc.d scripts.
Tele-Pole flag pole
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

Might be just an oversight that it was removed, yes systemd is more prevalent so maybe thats why.
I dont have a synology i do have a qnap but not lookijng to use it for this, just wondering are you running it on the system level or with in a container or vm? seems like the later would be able to run at startup and easier to maintain. If running on the system what happens when theres a Synlolgy update that breaks things?
Gregorean
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 4B

Post by Gregorean »

Hi George, that's very interesting what you write, I've been working on it once on my Synology DS620slim but got stuck on installing mono. :cry:
As far as that start script is concerned you can do that with the start / stop script cumulusmx.sh 2.5.5.7, that script is just in the home/pi/CumulusMX folder of my Raspberry 3b+ and my 2nd BeagleBoneBlack, I've been using that script for a while now without any problems. I have created a cronjob in a crontab and start up neatly on a reboot, the cronjob also backs up CumulusMX every night, and once a month a full system backup.
I also created some aliases so that I can give short commands in the terminal window of WinScp/putty, such as mxstart, mxstop, mxstatus instead of having to knock in long commands every time.
Would you like to share with us how you managed this on a Synology NAS? I would appreciate that very much. :clap:

Greetings Sjaak.
Weather Station: Amersfoort-Nieuwland, The Netherlands.
http://element14.synology.me
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Sure, I can add the init.d script back into the archive.
Gregorean

Post by Gregorean »

Mark that is not necessary, George just wants the script without using initd, you just put this version in the CumulsMX folder.you can still download it here viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907 ;)
Last edited by Gregorean on Sun 20 Dec 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galfert

Post by galfert »

I'm running Cumulus MX on Synology NAS not with a container and not with a VM. Containers are great when they have the support of a maintainer and I don't want that job. A VM is cheating and too much overhead. Besides not many Synology NAS models can run VMs. I'm running Cumulus MX at the system level, and it hardly takes any resources. Any Synology NAS should be able to run it. Runs great on my oldest Synology DS214play with only 1 GB RAM.

I haven't begun to document my installation notes...they are in my head still. I'm happy to see the excitement for this. I searched the forum and found some posts where this was a desirable solution to run on Synology NAS but nobody had succeeded. So I tried it and I found a solution. I think this will become successful the minute the word gets out. I posted in the development section to try and keep the lid on this at least somewhat until it is complete. I will share this.

This solution I feel is elegant and I don't think it will break with DSM automatic updates. I'm currently running DSM 6.2. I also have a test DSM 7.0 system and I think it should work there too. I'll test that soon.

I'll take a look at what is currently available and test with that Start / Stop scrip. But I was really hoping to really discuss with the developers to get to the bottom of the removal of the .sh script, to see if it can be put back in, as that would simplify the procedure. I know I can solve this myself. But again the purpose of posting in this section is about improving the user experience for the most users. So I appreciate everyone's patience on this until we can first deal with Cumulus MX properly gaining a common script that is integral.

EDIT: Thank you Mark. I'll look for the newest build and test with the init.d script.
Tele-Pole flag pole
Gregorean

Post by Gregorean »

Hello George, sorry you do not want to share this with us yet. You want to do all this yourself, that's your right of course but still find it strange that you ask forum members to help you with the start/stop script. :oops:
You do make us curious, maybe you would like to consider sharing it with us even though it is not perfect yet. It doesn't matter anyway, there is enough now-how on this forum to maybe get to a working CumulusMX on a NAS faster. What I like about this forum is the helpfulness of all the members and sharing knowledge and not keeping anything to themselves. :clap: Again, you are free to share this with us or not, but a bit selfish I think it is. :roll:
Gregorean

Post by Gregorean »

Hi George, CumulusMX 3098 now works on my Synology DS620slim with the start/stop script cumulusmx.sh 2.5.5.7. :clap:
Actually, not as hard as you know. I've made some changes to the script and now it starts up properly,
I only need to create a cronjob for an autostart.
So why you were so secretive about it? I don't know here it worked within the hour. ;)
I can give you a little hint to make it work, you have to install ''screen'', it's not standard in Synology DSM6.2XX ;)

Code: Select all

Collecting Information from your system, please wait.......

CumulusMX is not running...trying to start CumulusMX now

<<<<<<<<< Cumulus Status >>>>>>>>

Start CumulusMX nu
CumulusMX luistert op TCP Port: 8998 (http://192.168.1.8:8998)
ProcessID (PID) of CumulusMX is
CumulusMX Versie is Cumulus MX v.3.9.3 build 3098
System Uptime of DISKSTATION is: 34 minutes
Path to CumulusMX is /volume1/@appstore/CumulusMX

CumulusMX staat op het punt te beginnen. Geef CumulusMX enkele seconden om te starten en de status te controleren met sudo ./cumulusmx.sh -s (status)

[ !! CumulusMX is gestart!! ]  (100%)

Greetings Sjaak.
galfert

Post by galfert »

Update:
I did some testing and came to a decision. I found what I feel is the most elegant solution for ease of use with the most novice of users. Will not be using the shell scripts as implementing that into the system is more complicated and although it worked, I'm trying to reach the biggest amount of potential users. I feel that using the GUI Task Scheduler presents the best option for many Synology NAS users that really like its GUI and don't want to be messing with Linux scripts and SSH. After all any expert can modify the basic installation to their liking if they have a different preference.

You can find my simple instructions at this link:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18773

Mark,
If you want to leave out he init.d script from the next build you can...it is not needed. Most popular Linux distros now use Systemd. Turns out that Synology doesn't use init.d as they are using Upstart. But Synology is moving to systemd with the next major OS version DSM 7.0 which is in public beta right now. Systemd is the future for now it seems. To erase confusion I would leave out the init.d script and stick to the current systemd script.

Thanks,
George
Tele-Pole flag pole