Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

PHP 8 ?

Discussion of the Weather34 web site template

Moderators: saratogaWX, weatherist34

weatherist34
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: OSX High Sierra

PHP 8 ?

Post by weatherist34 »

congratulations to Ken for not veering off the rail track .. happy to say this version is forward compatible with PHP 8 needs no change on first inspection however that said Im not a cumulus user I simply just downloaded of GITHUB and installed into a PHP 8 environment locally , I did or do not have data for rendering charts or getting current forecast/conditions etc.

php8-cu.png
2cu-php8.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Re: PHP 8 ?

Post by saratogaWX »

Whew! Thanks Brian... the PHP8 developers have chosen to not deprecate any of the basic PHP features used in the CU-HWS (thankfully). I'm hopeful that my other scripts/templates will also work fine. I do tend to stick to code/functions that work from PHP5+ onward.

I've not yet put up my PHP8 testing environment, but will soon. Thanks for giving the distribution a live test.

Stay healthy!!

Best regards,
Ken
weatherist34

Post by weatherist34 »

i only did a short test nothing in depth as above i dont use cumulus and dont have data to hand for charts etc ,
im so far out of touch or simply forgotten how things work in this version so if had not worked i would have not been much help and just said nothing.

Probably most wont think PHP 8 is important right now(same ignorant viewpoint of how https was viewed when it first raised its head)) but it soon creeps up on you and if hosts make it an option , end user will likely want to use it regardless of advantages or disadvantages and however much you highlight possible issues this advice often gets overlooked until it breaks. so just because you can doesnt mean you have too .. : :D

end of the day end user wont see much advantage if any but they will have the confidence in what there using will work in most PHP environments. for a developer it will make them code smarter and more knowledgeable .

as for healthy , we are healthy but mentally drained from strict stay at home curfews ,work from home,the walls are getting smaller everyday and venturing out is just a nightmare its the downside of living in a city with a dense population of 17 million in a 100km radius..probably no different than any other country suffering the predicted seasonal upturn in cases.

as always stay healthy be prosperous..brian
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Guys, just out of curiosity, whats the verdict on php8.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by saratogaWX »

I installed it with XAMPP on my development system for testing. Only found two scripts in the Saratoga templates that needed tweaking (common.php and flyout-menu.php). The former for an un-pre-specified object name, the latter for the XML_SIMPLE change from a resource number to an object (4 lines needed quieting with a @). I'll likely rewrite the flyout-menu.php (and the similar dropdown-menu.php) to remove the old IE6 comments from the output along with using a different XML parsing method.

No idea yet or performance, as it's just a development system. It is reputed to be faster/slimmer than PHP 7.4+, but I'm not going to run any benchmarks.
No other 'gotcha's' found so far in code upward compatibility.. if it runs on 7.4, it will likely run fine on PHP 8. I'm going to wait for PHP 8.0.1 before I do any production website implementations.
weatherist34

Post by weatherist34 »

ConligWX wrote: Tue 08 Dec 2020 9:37 pm Guys, just out of curiosity, whats the verdict on php8.
nothing significant that would say wow ... i see it from a point of keeping up with evolution , unfortunately many developers wont adapt their code until its broke.i personally would encourage users to install or optional use if possible it would be a great source of ironing out unseen issues , sometimes you need the extra pair of eyes ..
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Thanks Brian, I'll play with it over Christmas and see what breaks for me.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

Solorize
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Win 10, XP, Xubuntu, Linux Mint

Post by Solorize »

Hi,

It's been a fair few years since I've posted as been very busy with life etc.

I am now trying to tidy up my website as quite a bit has broken due to neglect ;)

So I thought I would start with trying to update to a newer version of the Cumulus HomeWeatherStation
template, (from here: https://github.com/ktrue/CU-HWS), which seems to have worked ok.

But if I switch from my current PHP version 7.4.20, to the latest PHP version 8.0.7.
then I just get a blank screen and absolutely nothing loads :?

If I switch back to ver 7.4.20 it loads again OK, so must be something is not compatible
with v8+ ?

I found this thread, which seems to mention a similar problem, hence my post.

Is anyone else having this same problem? If so is there a fix or another version which works with PHP8+?

(My concern is that my webhost will eventually force me to update to PHP8+ when they stop supporting it around; 12/2022)

Thanks in advance
Mark
Cumulus Real Time Data Grabber
http://bit.ly/WjBh5z

Wokingham Berkshire - weather station
http://www.wokinghamweather.co.uk

CGM UKScene Radio (pi)
http://cgmuksceneradio-pi.noip.me/