Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Airlink and Weatherlink Live

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Airlink and Weatherlink Live

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Mark,
I wanted to see what the Pro account all provides so decided to sign up for the Pro account 30-day trial this morning and got an email confirming that. But my site still shows Device tier: Basic and can't access any additional data. Do you recall how long it took?

I tried to call Davis but today is their Thanksgiving Holiday so no one available.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I think mine activated the same day, I used the 30 day trial period too.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Mapantz wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 4:08 pm
For example, it shows today's high temperature at 01:08 of 9.2°C. It was 5°C here around that time.
It's not used the AirLink internal temperature for some reason has it?
Matt.j5b
Weather Station: Davis VP2/ WLL with DFARS
Operating System: RPi Raspbian (Buster)

Post by Matt.j5b »

I have been having a play lately with the Airlink and WLL and it works quite well with Cumulus MX. I have the Pro subscription for the historical catch up, which seems to work just fine though I yet to see how this will work after a power outage. The air quality have been interesting, though the air here is a bit too clean to show that much variance in the air quality.

I have switched my setup to using the WLL instead of the console+USB logger. There was a issue with the rain total at the first logging interval after this change. Looking at the Diags I could see that the rain counter switched from the about 980 mm to4mm, which messed up the records. I edited those records and it has work fine after that.

I am using the WLL for the extra sensor flexibility so that I could add the solar sensor mounted separately from the ISS. However whilst I know that Cumulus MX can't see the ET data on wl.com, it looks like that wl.com doesn't allow for the ET numbers to be shown if the solar sensor is on a different transmitter to the transmitter with a Temp/Hum sensor.
Regards, Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Matt.j5b wrote: Mon 28 Dec 2020 12:41 pm However whilst I know that Cumulus MX can't see the ET data on wl.com, it looks like that wl.com doesn't allow for the ET numbers to be shown if the solar sensor is on a different transmitter to the transmitter with a Temp/Hum sensor.
Correct - I suggest you contact Davis and ask them to fix this, I have already! They allow sensors on different transmitters for other derived units, so no reason why they cannot do it for ET as well.

I can see what they have done with the v2 API - only provide access to raw data values provided by the station. but not allowing you to access the derived units (like ET, THSW etc) is a bit of a restriction. I guess they are calculated by the VP2 console, but not by the WLL, only by wl.com.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Mon 28 Dec 2020 2:29 pm I can see what they have done with the v2 API - only provide access to raw data values provided by the station. but not allowing you to access the derived units (like ET, THSW etc) is a bit of a restriction. I guess they are calculated by the VP2 console, but not by the WLL, only by wl.com.
Do they provide access to dew point? In the context of VP2 that too is derived data!

There can be another reason why they don't make those derived figures public: people might start thinking they contain some kind of truth.

Although there is some theory behind it, those figures are merely comprising some idea about how the physics of weather works in relation to an individual. And EvapoTranspiration is even more complex and there is a whole field of science behind the evaporation of water in relation to temperature, wind, humidity and vegetation. And especially the last is totally unpredictable depending on so many factors a calculation does often not even get close to reality. If you can have an approximation for a field of corn, it becomes almost impossible for any natural vegetation.

And if Davis has a reason not to provide access to such derived number, it would not surprise me it is because the basis is not good enough.
Too much discussion. It has something to do with meteorology but also a lot is far away from it.
If you want to use those, you are on your own (use directly from the station or recalculate them from raw data).

Interesting.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Matt.j5b
Weather Station: Davis VP2/ WLL with DFARS
Operating System: RPi Raspbian (Buster)

Post by Matt.j5b »

@mcrossley.
I wrote to Davis requesting they fix this. I had wrongly assumed that the improved sensor flexibility meant I could get weatherlink to combine the readings between multiple transmitters. Hopefully Davis fixes this issue.
Regards, Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

HansR wrote: Mon 28 Dec 2020 2:53 pm
Do they provide access to dew point? In the context of VP2 that too is derived data!
They do. Hence the inconsistency, I guess they argue that the WLL provides that data to WL.com, so it is available via the API.
HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Tue 29 Dec 2020 11:51 am They do. Hence the inconsistency, I guess they argue that the WLL provides that data to WL.com, so it is available via the API.
Not sure it is an inconsistency.
You ask them to supply the (or certain) derived values.
Did you also ask them why the don't supply certain derived values? It is a slightly different question.
Hans

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

It could be construed as inconsistent, as their stated policy is that the API only supplies raw data from the station, and does not provide derived values that are shown on wl.com (such as ET and THW, THSW). However as you point out dew point is also a derived value and they do provide that over the API. The only difference is that it is derived within the WLL rather than by wl.com.

The missing ET and and THSW on wl.com when the solar sensor is not connected to the primary ISS is I believe an omission, since they support the wind sensor not being on the primary ISS for other derived values.
HansR

Post by HansR »

OK.
mcrossley wrote: Tue 29 Dec 2020 3:56 pm The missing ET and and THSW on wl.com when the solar sensor not connected to the primary ISS is I believe an omission, since they support the wind sensor not being on the primary ISS for other derived values.
I fail to understand this sentence.
But never mind ;)
Hans

andrew_sinclair
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus c/w DFARS
Operating System: Buster rPi

Post by andrew_sinclair »

Hello,

Apologies to resurrect an old thread, it seemed the best place to ask this question. Is it possible to attach Davis AirLink to my Davis VP2 without having to subscript to Weather Link Live? I would just link the data to be recorded by CumulusMX. I don't mind subscribing to upload the data for the AirLink, but I don't want to run Weather Link Live continuously on a PC or Mac, since my VP2 is connected to a RPi.

Thanks

Andrew
Windy: f065d04a
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

HansR wrote: Tue 29 Dec 2020 4:05 pm
mcrossley wrote: Tue 29 Dec 2020 3:56 pm The missing ET and and THSW on wl.com when the solar sensor not connected to the primary ISS is I believe an omission, since they support the wind sensor not being on the primary ISS for other derived values.
I fail to understand this sentence.
:)
If you do not have your solar sensor connected to the main ISS, then Davis do not calculate ET or THSW for your station.
With your wind sensor, if that is not connected to the ISS, on wl.com they allow you to "nominate" which transmitter it is connected to, and then they use that wind value along with temperature from the main ISS to calculate derived values like wind chill etc.
I think they should allow you to "nominate" which transmitter has your solar sensor so they can continue to calculate the derived values that use solar data - ET & THSW.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

andrew_sinclair wrote: Fri 03 Dec 2021 5:25 pm Apologies to resurrect an old thread, it seemed the best place to ask this question. Is it possible to attach Davis AirLink to my Davis VP2 without having to subscript to Weather Link Live? I would just link the data to be recorded by CumulusMX. I don't mind subscribing to upload the data for the AirLink, but I don't want to run Weather Link Live continuously on a PC or Mac, since my VP2 is connected to a RPi.
The AirLink is independent of the VP2, it transmits to wl.com without interaction with either a VP2 or the WLL.

Cumulus MX also treats AirLinks independently, you can add an AirLink to your CMX config even if you have say an Ecowitt main station.

Does that answer your question?
andrew_sinclair
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus c/w DFARS
Operating System: Buster rPi

Post by andrew_sinclair »

Hi Mark,

Yes it does but leads to another, how do I connect the AirLink to my CMX config? I have added the AirLink as an Outdoor AirLink sensor. Enable the tick box, added the IP Address (which I am confident is correct from looking at the router). I don't know what the Airlink Hostname is nor the Station ID so have left them blank. No joy there.

I then tried to add it as a Davis AirLink by getting a WeatherLink API key and secret. On the WeatherLink site there are options to get a V1 token or a V2 token and secret. I tried different permutations of those but not seeing any data in CumulusMX, I feel I am rather thrashing around in the dark, due to my own ignorance. Is there a wiki page that I could look at?

if there is not, I am happy to write one once I have figured it out.
Windy: f065d04a