Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Fire Weather - pwsFWI

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

kocher
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2+
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Fire Weather - pwsFWI

Post by kocher »

I have sung victory before my time. I still don't know how to insert the content of the URL text:

http://kocher.es/cumulusMX/FWI/pwsFWIcurrent.txt

I mean a way to see the information of form; to change when the text of that URL changes.

I have thought about PHP or javascript, but I think that today I have a broken head ... :roll:
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Edit: mismatched quotes fixed !

Code: Select all

<?php include('FWI/pwsFWIcurrent.txt'); ?>
.. or whatever the path is ...
will return the constructed html <span>

So eg.

<div><a href="myfireindex.php" style="text-decoration: none">Current FWI <?php include('FWI/pwsFWIcurrent.txt'); ?></a></div>
Last edited by beteljuice on Fri 07 Aug 2020 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
kocher

Post by kocher »

In the end the problem has been solved. Using PHP, I don't know if it is very elegant, but it works.

The code used is:

<div align="center">
            <a title="Riesgo de Incendio actual (FWI) Rango: 0 - 630" href="./cumulusMX/FWI">
            <?php
            $fwi = file_get_contents('./cumulusMX/FWI/pwsFWIcurrent.txt');
            echo $fwi;
            ?>
            </a>
        </div>
http://kocher.es/menu.php

;)
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Hi Javier, @Beteljuice,

The way Beteljuice proposes is the way I intended (and described) it to be used.
But the way you actually did it, apparently works also very good so: :clap: and thanks to Beteljuice as well :)
Is there a reason you did not use Beteljuices proposal? I'll mention your method in the manual btw, other may prefer that as well.

And btw: you give the range of the scale as 0 - 630. But 630 is actually the start of the red warning level. The range of the scale of pwsFWI is 800 for the five point scale (red) and 1000 for the six point scale (purple) but these values are arbitrary as the scale is 'open ended'. If the calculated value is higher than the maximum value of the scale the pointer remains at the end. In that sense, the indicator is without upper limit (as it is intended).

Regards, Hans
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
kocher

Post by kocher »

HansR wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 5:46 am Hi Javier, @Beteljuice,

The way Beteljuice proposes is the way I intended (and described) it to be used.
But the way you actually did it, apparently works also very good so: :clap: and thanks to Beteljuice as well :)
Is there a reason you did not use Beteljuices proposal? I'll mention your method in the manual btw, other may prefer that as well.
Greetings to all

Thanks Hans and Betel

The reason that I have adopted this formula is because what you have proposed (it has been the first thing I have tried) to me, surely due to an error of mine, did not work for me.
And btw: you give the range of the scale as 0 - 630. But 630 is actually the start of the red warning level. The range of the scale of pwsFWI is 800 for the five point scale (red) and 1000 for the six point scale (purple) but these values are arbitrary as the scale is 'open ended'. If the calculated value is higher than the maximum value of the scale the pointer remains at the end. In that sense, the indicator is without upper limit (as it is intended).
Regards, Hans
It is understood

I'm going to change the range to 0 - 800

Keep in mind that this is a small informative title, where I cannot explain great things.
The acronym FWI is, in our area, a great unknown; perhaps due to the relative rarity of local fires.

I was thinking of inserting a small rectangle with small colored stripes below the FWI icon.
It would be great to be able to include the color bar of your own app (in a small size) under the FWI: for this, it might be interesting to have several sizes to be able to use the FWI icon; in this way, this icon would not be so easily lost on the page. For example:

pwsFWIcurrent1.txt

pwsFWIcurrent2.txt

pwsFWIcurrent3.txt
HansR

Post by HansR »

kocher wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 7:45 am The reason that I have adopted this formula is because what you have proposed (it has been the first thing I have tried) to me, surely due to an error of mine, did not work for me.
OK, no further analysis, it works and that is good ;)
kocher wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 7:45 am I'm going to change the range to 0 - 800

Keep in mind that this is a small informative title, where I cannot explain great things.
I understand, I just keep telling so that it gets between the ears everywhere 8-)
kocher wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 7:45 am The acronym FWI is, in our area, a great unknown; perhaps due to the relative rarity of local fires.
True for the Basque country which is blessed being the greenest part of Spain (meaning lots of rain ;) ). But I am sure there is a Spanish equivalent of the acronym because Wildfires are a plague elsewhere in your country and there is a great tradition of study of wildfires (see e.g. the lecture of Adrián Cardil of Univ. of Lleida (unfortunately in English but a good talk and it may set you on a track) ). Maybe @meteosangonera knows the Spanish equivalent.
Btw, if you liked the previous talk, you might also be interested in the one from Prof. Paulo Fernandes from Portugal. Not a very glueing voice but one of the best talks in that webinar sequence.
kocher wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 7:45 am I was thinking of inserting a small rectangle with small colored stripes below the FWI icon.
It would be great to be able to include the color bar of your own app (in a small size) under the FWI: for this, it might be interesting to have several sizes to be able to use the FWI icon; in this way, this icon would not be so easily lost on the page. For example:
I understand what you are saying. What I can't do - that would be really a lot of work and coding - is to make minimised real-time versions of the key-bar.
What I can do is create an image in different sizes (and maybe make it the favicon.ico as well).
Would that be good enough for you?
What sizes would you than be thinking of?
Hans

beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

@Kocher ..
... , did not work for me
My :oops:

<div><a href="myfireindex.php" style="text-decoration: none">Current FWI <?php include('FWI/pwsFWIcurrent.txt'); ?></a></div>
kocher

Post by kocher »

Yes; that's the idea; it is about getting a sufficiently descriptive graphic "icon" to see the current status of the FWI.
I like the current icon, but it is too small for a web page (I think) and does not provide much information to those who do not know the subject.

I guess it's hard to come by. but an image like the current one, with a color bar above or below, would enlighten anyone who did not know anything about the matter. The maximum ideal would be to achieve this bar graph with the magnitude indicator triangle.
Sorry to give you work in the middle of the summer, but it is worth it.
kocher

Post by kocher »

Perhaps it can be explained in another way:

It would be interesting to be able to show a kind of horizontal "thermometer", divided into the different zones of possible colors and an indicator (it can be the triangle, the icon, or both) indicating the current value in said thermometer), this provides very intuitive information for anyone not aware of the existence of FWI.
beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

The problem is presentation ...
There is no (European) common symbol or graphic that immediately conveys Fire warning.
If you just show a coloured scale without explanation, especially vertically, it will interpreted as a thermometer with strange values !
kocher

Post by kocher »

@ Hans
But I am sure there is a Spanish equivalent of the acronym because Wildfires are a plague elsewhere in your country and there is a great tradition of study of wildfires
Although it may seem incredible to you, there is no acronym for fire risk; in fact, the State Meteorological Agency does not use any:

http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/incendios :groan:

Perhaps this is due to the unpopularity of acronyms in Spain. Here, only memory are known, those that can affect the wallet:

IPC: Consumer Price Index (always rising)
ERE: Employment regulation file (a company that is about to close (always rising)
ERTE: Temporary Employment Regulation File (a company that will also close); always rising
EPA: Labor Force Survey (always falling)

In Spain, only those acronyms are used that are needed to be able to compare the situation in the country, unlike in the US, which are used regularly on a day-to-day basis.
kocher

Post by kocher »

beteljuice wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 10:47 pm The problem is presentation ...
There is no (European) common symbol or graphic that immediately conveys Fire warning.
If you just show a coloured scale without explanation, especially vertically, it will interpreted as a thermometer with strange values !
I agree, but I will try to do something

By the way; the other day I almost died of laughter when reading a comment of yours (that I could not find) about a curious addiction of a man who ate the microphones :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HansR

Post by HansR »

@kocher, @beteljuice,
I think such an image would be useful and I will think about it though I think beteljuice is right and that means it will be very difficult to create some striking, telling, image.
I will think about it, anybody with an open, creative mind may bring in ideas, even images ;)
kocher wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 8:59 am Although it may seem incredible to you, there is no acronym for fire risk; in fact, the State Meteorological Agency does not use any:
Indeed surprising. However, I suggest you introduce it (or ask first at e.g. mr Cardil for a good suggestion, no doubt he is accessible).

But for continuation, I think it would be best to use FWI only if you want to talk in general about Fire Weather Indices or specifically about the Canadian / Australian indices which were the first and are usually abbreviated FWI.

In the context of CumulusUtils and CMX it is best to talk only about pwsFWI. It makes it clearer and above all: the index is really practically and theoretically very different from the Canadian FWI though the dangerlevels are very well matching (I say :o ) as they should be.
Hans

kocher

Post by kocher »

For something it starts:

http://kocher.es/cajon/fwi-mix2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Good idea! :clap:
Hans