Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Colour settings, defaults and user modifications

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

meteo19
Weather Station: Davis VP2+/DP1500 SmartHub
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Pro

Re: Colour settings, defaults and user modifications

Post by meteo19 »

Thank you. :oops:
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Post by billy »

My site is a non-customized installation except for the colours - and of course the data ;). The gauges need a little makeover too and then I'll be done. I've pinched Mark Crossley's colour scheme for the gauges on his site https://weather.wilmslowastro.com/gauges-ss.php as I really like that 8-)

Thanks to Hans for providing a very nice proforma and great support.

ColorMenuBackground=#4F728E
ColorMenuText=White
ColorToggler=Black
ColorDropdownMenuBackground=#525B56
ColorDropdownMenuText=White
ColorDropdownMenuHoverBackground=Silver
ColorDropdownMenuHoverText=Black
ColorTitleBar=#253F5B
ColorTitleText=White
ColorTitleBackGroundImage=
ColorDashboardCellTitleBarBackground=#525B56
ColorDashboardCellTitleBarText=White
ColorDashboardCellText=Black
ColorDashboardCellBackground=#DCD9C6
ColorReportviewText=Black
ColorReportviewBackground=#EBF2EA
ColorFooterLink=NavajoWhite
ColorFooterLinkHover=OrangeRed
ColorFooterBackground=#4F728E
ColorFooterText=White
ColorBodyBackground=#B5C1B4
ColorDashboardTextAccent=#A7414A
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Thanks Billy, nice exercise :D
Everybody seems to want to change the gauges' look. I postponed that, but it seems to be more urgent than I thought ;)
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
billy

Post by billy »

HansR wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 5:00 am Everybody seems to want to change the gauges' look.
I guess it's about getting the gauges to fit in with the rest of the colour scheme.

Two minor points. (1) the little down-pointing triangle, in the dashboard cells that indicate a measure that is decreasing, is impervious to the setting of the "ColorDashboardTextAccent" key; and (2) this key doesn't update if using Thrifty - the other colour keys seem to - at least the ones I was fiddling with (and that created some frustration for a while!)
HansR

Post by HansR »

billy wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 5:21 am
HansR wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 5:00 am Everybody seems to want to change the gauges' look.
I guess it's about getting the gauges to fit in with the rest of the colour scheme.
Yes, I understand :) However, updating gauges colours through ini settings is pretty impossible though (some settings that is), so I might leave it at an instruction. Have been studying all morning but there is no way to e.g. change the background, though the frame is easy. Unfortunate. Anyway, I'll continue looking for possibilities. For now, editing the gauges is the only possibility.
billy wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 5:21 am Two minor points. (1) the little down-pointing triangle, in the dashboard cells that indicate a measure that is decreasing, is impervious to the setting of the "ColorDashboardTextAccent" key;
I am afraid you have to elaborate on the word impervious and what actually the problem is. Aha... I guess because you changed the ColorDashboardTextAccent colour it does not jump out anymore as rising. Transparency is not involved, it is the same colour as the accent colour. I think fixing it to the bright green colour (unchangeable by the user) would satisfy everybody? I'll fix it to green and see what remarks that generates ;) I don't think I'll make a separate parameter for it (up and down). A bit too much detail isn't it? Other opinions welcome :!:
billy wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 5:21 am and (2) this key doesn't update if using Thrifty - the other colour keys seem to - at least the ones I was fiddling with (and that created some frustration for a while!)
If you are regularly changing things to experiment, it is better not to use thrifty. Read the thrifty explanation carefully, for the website, only the index.html is uploaded. If you change things in the cumulusutils.js (call it the runtime system) such as the colour definition of the accent colour, you can't use thrifty. You can't really know so I advise not to use thrifty. Thrifty is basically intended for stable systems, your regular run. If trial and error approach for changing the colours takes too long because cumulusutils does the windrose without thrifty, than I would advice for such exercise to switch off the windrose in the inifile. That saves a lot of time and irritation.
Hans

billy

Post by billy »

HansR wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 9:47 am updating gauges colours through ini settings is pretty impossible
Frankly, I wouldn't bother to go there - it can be done through the gauges.js file
HansR wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 9:47 am guess because you changed the ColorDashboardTextAccent colour it does not jump out anymore as rising
The reason for my comment was the difference between the increasing and decreasing symbol - the former's colour can be changed but the latter can't. I would vote for both to be changeable (not separately) - and leave it up to the user to decide what colour they would like. That allows the user to get a harmonious combination that they prefer. Some may not like the bright green version because it doesn't fit in with the rest of their scheme. I rather like "subtle" rather than "loud" but that's just me ;)
HansR wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 9:47 am If you are regularly changing things to experiment, it is better not to use thrifty. Read the thrifty explanation carefully, for the website, only the index.html is uploaded. If you change things in the cumulusutils.js (call it the runtime system) such as the colour definition of the accent colour, you can't use thrifty. You can't really know so I advise not to use thrifty. Thrifty is basically intended for stable systems, your regular run. If trial and error approach for changing the colours takes too long because cumulusutils does the windrose without thrifty, than I would advice for such exercise to switch off the windrose in the inifile. That saves a lot of time and irritation.
Thanks for the tip. I'm happy where my page is at now and not planning on making further customizations :).
HansR

Post by HansR »

Frankly, I wouldn't bother to go there - it can be done through the gauges.js file
Frankly, just had a tip from Mark which may bring me a lot further... we'll see.
I would vote for both to be changeable (not separately)
So you would like two parameters. They will be independently changeable because I can't bring the relation into the ini. But OK, two parameters, easy.
Thanks for the tip. I'm happy where my page is at now and not planning on making further customizations :).
For everybody else to learn ;)
Hans

billy

Post by billy »

HansR wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 12:27 pm So you would like two parameters
That's not what I was saying, or at least meaning. But if it's easy my guess is you will please some people!
HansR

Post by HansR »

billy wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 1:32 pm That's not what I was saying, or at least meaning. But if it's easy my guess is you will please some people!
Maybe you were not saying but it was my solution. Two minutes. We spend more time writing messages. :lol:
Hans

billy

Post by billy »

A couple of observations re gauge-related settings in the latest Version 3.7.0:

I set some custom keys as per below but only the first one seems to have worked:
SteelseriesFramedesign=ANTHRACITE
SteelseriesBackgroundColor=MUD
SteelseriesPointerColour=WHITE
SteelseriesPointerType=TYPE16
SteelseriesLcdColour=STANDARD
SteelseriesForegroundType=TYPE2 (although not sure what this actually does :? )

Also, any other user custom setting(s) in gauges.js are overwritten when running "cumulusutils.exe Website". This can be overcome by overwriting the new gauges.js with the users custom version. That would be required every time the Website parameter is used (maybe daily for some users?). I guess the overwrite could be automated? Or maybe there could be a key to not update gauge settings?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

billy wrote: Thu 28 May 2020 1:18 pm SteelseriesForegroundType=TYPE2 (although not sure what this actually does :? )
It changes the "glass effect" over the gauge.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Look at it tomorrow, not avalable today 8-)
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

billy wrote: Thu 28 May 2020 1:18 pm A couple of observations re gauge-related settings in the latest Version 3.7.0:

I set some custom keys as per below but only the first one seems to have worked:
SteelseriesFramedesign=ANTHRACITE
SteelseriesBackgroundColor=MUD
SteelseriesPointerColour=WHITE
SteelseriesPointerType=TYPE16
SteelseriesLcdColour=STANDARD
SteelseriesForegroundType=TYPE2 (although not sure what this actually does :? )
I just put out a new release. It was a combination of typo's. Anyway, sorry for that, sloppy me :oops: Should be better now, hopefully good :?
billy wrote: Thu 28 May 2020 1:18 pm Also, any other user custom setting(s) in gauges.js are overwritten when running "cumulusutils.exe Website". This can be overcome by overwriting the new gauges.js with the users custom version. That would be required every time the Website parameter is used (maybe daily for some users?). I guess the overwrite could be automated? Or maybe there could be a key to not update gauge settings?
That is something which is a bit far from the original idea and design of CumulusUtils. I keep the configuration in one place, it is intended to be in one place. It was one of the starting points to have only one executable and one place of configuration. We could open a separate thread to discuss that, but it is very fundamental to what CumulusUtils is. Beside that, you need to know that gauges.js is also fundamentally different from the original by Mark, though it still bears the same name (I may change that in future to avoid confusion). They are no longer exchangeable. Some features have been taken out, some have been put in (e.g. the possibility to change the dashboard requires some minor but fundamental changes). The software change of the look of the gauges is also such feature.

So if you have/want more changes to the gauges display please ask. Some will be easy, some will be hard, some may not be possible and some may not be implemented because I regard them as CumulusUtils application feature, e.g. changing the type of the gauge.

But changing by having the user edit the gauges and have the application copy that back after an upgrade? Sorry, no. So if that is what you want (it will always be possible of course) you will have to do it yourself. And in case of an upgrade of the gauges.js library, you would have to detect the changes and bring them into your version before copying that back to the lib directory. I would say it would be unwise to maintain such a system.

Hope you still like it despite these limitations I put on the gauges ;)
Hans

billy

Post by billy »

HansR wrote: Fri 29 May 2020 6:23 am Anyway, sorry for that,
No need to apologize (although I never make mistakes :roll: ;))
HansR wrote: Fri 29 May 2020 6:23 am That is something which is a bit far from the original idea and design of CumulusUtils
I get that.
HansR wrote: Fri 29 May 2020 6:23 am So if you have/want more changes to the gauges display please ask.
Now that is an offer you may regret :lol:. Here are the things I was fiddling with yesterday:

dirAvgPointer: steelseries.PointerType.TYPE8
dirAvgPointerColour: steelseries.ColorDef.BLUE
gaugeType: steelseries.GaugeType.TYPE4
rainUseGradientColours: false
ledVisible: false
HansR

Post by HansR »

I'll see what I can do

The gaugeType I already said I won't do... sorry. ;)
Hans