Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ambient Weather WS-2902A

A Forum to archive Cumulus MX development suggestions that have been rejected or solved by other means.
newscene
Weather Station: Waldbeck Halley – WH2650
Operating System: WIN 10 64 bits

Re: Ambient Weather WS-2902A

Post by newscene »

galfert wrote: Tue 28 Apr 2020 2:19 am Some European countries can also get the Froggit DP1500 which is exactly a GW1000. But you better make sure that you have a 868 MHz station if you order the Froggit.
The US Amazon only sells 915 MHz.
Thank you so much for alerting me to the fact that the frequency of the station must be the same as the GW1000 and for the fact that Froggit DP1500 is the same as GW1000. In fact my WH2650 is a 868Mhz station and I can easily order a Froggit DP1500 868MHz from amazon.de (around $55) or a complete package consisting of DP1500 + temp/humid sensor Dp50 + WH4000SE station for around $160 :-)
I am going to wait a while to see if Mark comes up with a solution for the WH2650 to connect directly to CMX, but if this connection is not possible, then I will go for the DP1500. Once again, thanks for this precious tip.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

So that error in CMX window shows the device is not responding to the discovery command I am using. I don't think WD uses auto-discovery.

You can set the IP address manually in the config and disable auto-discovery.

Then capture a MXdiags with MX run with the -debug option please.
newscene

Post by newscene »

mcrossley wrote: Tue 28 Apr 2020 8:39 pm So that error in CMX window shows the device is not responding to the discovery command I am using. I don't think WD uses auto-discovery.
You can set the IP address manually in the config and disable auto-discovery.
Then capture a MXdiags with MX run with the -debug option please.
Thanks Mark. I have done all those steps and I hope this will help.
If anything else is needed, including remote access to the devices, please just let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

OK, my bad, even if you disable auto-discovery, it still runs the routine and just ignores the result. But in your case it does not respond and causes an un-trapped error.

I can fix both of those for the next release, but that doesn't help you. I'll PM you about trying a test build...
newscene

Post by newscene »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 29 Apr 2020 2:08 pm OK, my bad, even if you disable auto-discovery, it still runs the routine and just ignores the result. But in your case it does not respond and causes an un-trapped error.
I can fix both of those for the next release, but that doesn't help you. I'll PM you about trying a test build...
Hi Mark!
THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!
My WH2650 is now running like a charm with the CMX test build you have sent me!
PERFECT! :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Glad it is working.

I have had confirmation from Ecowitt that the auto-discovery protocol is the same for the WH2650 and GW-1000. So the lack of response maybe something to do with your local network/firewall configuration.

Anyway, I have fixed the discovery for the next release so that if it is disabled in config, it doesn't try it all. Or if it is enabled I catch any errors and continue.
Buford T. Justice
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1002
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Post by Buford T. Justice »

I got my Ecowitt GW1004 kit today. I wanted indoor temp. and humidity [EDIT: for another room in the house] so I went with this model. So far, it is working great with CumulusMX 3075. I am still calibrating it to the Ambient Weather display using the "WS View" Android app. Once done, I am back in business with updating my Sager and Zambretti Weathercard scripts. Thanks again for the suggestion galfert.
Last edited by Buford T. Justice on Fri 01 May 2020 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Post by galfert »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 1:36 pm Glad it is working.

I have had confirmation from Ecowitt that the auto-discovery protocol is the same for the WH2650 and GW-1000. So the lack of response maybe something to do with your local network/firewall configuration.

Anyway, I have fixed the discovery for the next release so that if it is disabled in config, it doesn't try it all. Or if it is enabled I catch any errors and continue.
I've seen problems with the GW1000 when the network subnet is 10.x.x.x or when the subnet mask is something other than 255.255.255.0. Just something to test and check.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
galfert

Post by galfert »

Buford T. Justice wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 8:57 pm I got my Ecowitt GW1004 kit today. I wanted indoor temp. and humidity so I went with this model. So far, it is working great with CumulusMX 3075. I am still calibrating it to the Ambient Weather display using the "WS View" Android app. Once done, I am back in business with updating my Sager and Zambretti Weathercard scripts. Thanks again for the suggestion galfert.
Great thanks for the update.

The GW1000 alone would still have given you indoor temperature and humidity. The kit that you got GW1004 is just throwing in a WH31 module as an extra sensor. So now you have two indoor temp/hum sensors.
Tele-Pole flag pole
Buford T. Justice
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1002
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Post by Buford T. Justice »

galfert wrote: Fri 01 May 2020 3:36 am Great thanks for the update.

The GW1000 alone would still have given you indoor temperature and humidity. The kit that you got GW1004 is just throwing in a WH31 module as an extra sensor. So now you have two indoor temp/hum sensors.
Oops. I meant to say I wanted that sensor for another room. My bad.
Trasd
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2902c
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Trasd »

Just FYI, Ambient Weather has released 2 APIs:
  • Ambient Realtime API
  • Ambient Weather REST API
Just how "real time" their Realtime API is, I have no idea (nor do I know if it "talks" directly to the console). There is some example code for different languages, but I've not had the time to try anything yet. I'm hoping some enterprising weather enthusiast programmer can take advantage of this information as I do not know C# (again, yet).

With the REST API, you can download JSON data history for any specific weather station (see the link below for specifics).

Here's the link.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J.M.
galfert

Post by galfert »

Trasd wrote: Wed 06 Jan 2021 12:50 pm Just FYI, Ambient Weather has released 2 APIs:
  • Ambient Realtime API
  • Ambient Weather REST API
These aren't new. This has been around for almost as long as Ambientweather.net since these API were published shortly after (which is a few years).
Just how "real time" their Realtime API is, I have no idea (nor do I know if it "talks" directly to the console). There is some example code for different languages, but I've not had the time to try anything yet. I'm hoping some enterprising weather enthusiast programmer can take advantage of this information as I do not know C# (again, yet).
These API do not talk to the console. The consoles upload data to Ambientweather.net with a frequency no greater than every 1 minute (HTTP GET upload). Therefore any "live" data that you pull with these API can be no more current than the 1 minute upload that the console is doing. The API are only for getting your data out of Ambientweather.net via some software that you program or that someone else has made available. This is how AmbientCWOP.com works (not related to Ambient nor to CWOP). This is also how some other applications can get data from Ambientweather.net...like Saratoga template, Weather-Display, WS Wordpress, HomeSeer, Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings....and many more. So you can take advantage of these API now with many of these solutions.
Tele-Pole flag pole
snova
Weather Station: WS-2902C
Operating System: Linux

Post by snova »

In reviewing this website for Weewx "Interceptor" driver support for the GW1000:
https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/gw1000-recipe

It became evident to me the my WS-2902C had the same capability as the GW1000 from a WiFi API point of view.
So I downloaded the "WS View" app for my iPhone as described in the GW1000 receipt link above and followed along.
I set up Weewx on port 8000 using the "fineoffset-bridge" device_type in the Interceptor driver as descriptor in the link above.
When started the "WS View" app, I picked what looks to be a photo of the Ambient WS-2902 console instead of the Ecowitt GW1000.
The screen looked pretty much the same, however I picked "Ambient" protocol instead of "Ecowitt" protocol, which
I'm quite certain is the same thing. :-) ... and it worked. Now my WS-2902c is posting data straight to my local Weewx server
instead of attempting to contact Ambient Weather's server.
galfert

Post by galfert »

The WS-2902C does not have the same capabilities as the GW1000. The WS-2902C cannot be queried for data via API (data pull). Rather the WS-2902C can only send data via HTTP GET (data push). The GW1000 can also do the data push via HTTP method.

The Ambient protocol data push of the WS-2902C is not the same thing as Ecowitt protocol. The Ecowitt protocol is HTTP POST and the Ambient protocol is HTTP GET. The data structure varies a bit too. There could be enough similarities where the Interceptor driver just works....you may have lucked out. You may also be limited in some functionalities.

One thing you can look into is to use FOSHKplugin as that will properly convert Ambient HTTP GET into Ecowitt HTTP POST for WeeWX to receive with the WeeWX Interceptor driver.

Also using the WS-2902C with this Ambient HTTP GET data push does not negate the ability of the WS-2902C to also continue to upload to Ambientweather.net. The two functions are separate...even though they use the same protocol.

I would still say that adding a GW1000 to a WS-2902C station is a better way to go. The GW1000 is better for WeeWX and it is better for Cumulus MX and you can use the GW1000 with its unique API to simultaneously feed data to multiple simultaneous weather software.

Another thing....why are we discussing WeeWX in the Cumulus forum???? The previous post is really just out of place I feel...it has no relevance to why people visit this forum...which is to run Cumulus MX. Now I could see the point if it was to say ..."hey, run WeeWX instead of Cumulus MX" ....but ...um...yeah ...uh...no, again people are here to run Cumulus MX and not WeeWX. Certainly I think most people are informed about the existence of WeeWX.....and of a few other software options. My point is that WeeWX is not the solution to not having a GW1000 with Cumulus MX. A GW1000 is $36....there is no excuse for not adding one if you intend to run Cumulus MX. Nothing against WeeWX...I run multiple instances of Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWx ...all off of just a single GW1000.
Tele-Pole flag pole
Hunter362
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.4

Re: Ambient Weather WS-2902A / WS-2902C

Post by Hunter362 »

I'm looking at the WS-2902C as a replacement for my current WS-2080 which has served me faithfully for 10 years now.
Is it easier / better to use the GW-1000 I see you guys talking about? or are you sending the data via the console to ambientweather, then your pulling it back via the API to update your own site? I think I'm lost here?
The GW-1000 would plug into the computer like my current setup, pick up the data from the sensors and MX would pull it directly the way it currently is now from the WS-2080 console, correct? This sounds like the way to go then.

Thanks
Bill