Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX Docker container

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

optoisolated
Weather Station: Ecowitt WS2910
Operating System: Windows 10

CumulusMX Docker container

Post by optoisolated »

Hi,

I've recently created a Dockerfile and some ancillary files which allow you to build and deploy CumulusMX into a Docker container. It's still a work in progress, but the primary functions are configured and appear to work correctly. The Database, datafiles, and configs survive rebuilding the image which means updating the image is simplified, and can be scripted and scheduled.

For those using USB/Serial devices, it is configured to allow device pass-through, however in order docker to achieve this, it has to run in --privileged mode, which isn't ideal, but does work correctly. Additionally, it deploys nginx in the container to serve the /web files as they are generated. The container is configured to expose ports 80 (for the public website) and 8998 (For the CumulusMX admin site).

If anyone is interested in using CumulusMX in docker, you can find the repo here: https://github.com/optoisolated/MXWeather

If you come across any issues, or have suggestions on how it can be improved, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks, and enjoy. :D
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Re: CumulusMX Docker container

Post by beteljuice »

I had to look it up :?

... and I still don't understand the purpose :oops:
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I think it is a complete install for a Ubuntu CumulusMX. With those four commands it should be up and running, at least that is what I understand, but I could be wrong. :D :D :D
David
optoisolated

Post by optoisolated »

That's pretty much it; consider it like a miniature automatically deployed VM. It means you can keep data separate from the software itself so if you need to upgrade, its simply a matter of rerunning the deployment script. No effort required. It also configures the web hosting for you as well so you don't have to set that up either.

Additionally, today I managed to correct the issue where it needed --privileged access to the host machine. Once I worked out what USB device it needed to map through, it worked perfectly.

It's probably only useful if you already run a docker host at home, but if you do, now you don't need a dedicated machine, Pi or VM to host Cumulus.

Code: Select all

docker run --name=MXWeather -p 8998:8998 -p 8080:80 -v /opt/MXWeather/data:/opt/CumulusMX/data -v /opt/MXWeather/backup:/opt/CumulusMX/backup -v /opt/MXWeather/log:/var/log/nginx -v /opt/MXWeather/Cumulus.ini:/opt/CumulusMX/Cumulus.ini --device=/dev/hidraw0 -d ubuntu:MXWeather
Sadgit
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Sadgit »

Exactly what I have been wanting.. Thank you. Dockers are the future. I run 16 dockers from mqtt, home assistant, mysql, sonarr etc etc.. This was the missing piece for me..
Sadgit
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Sadgit »

beteljuice wrote: Sat 28 Mar 2020 10:58 pm I had to look it up :?

... and I still don't understand the purpose :oops:
Self contained apps.. One fails doesnt take down the rest, can up grade all in one docker compose file, run 1 command to install etc.. All dependancies already installed in the docker file. Plus you say where the config files for all the apps in dockers.. So mine are under /docker so easy to backup all the config of all the apps and migrate/restore in a heart beat..
optoisolated

Post by optoisolated »

For anyone looking, this container has been updated to support newer versions of Cumulus as well as vastly improved handling of the Cumulus INI generation on first use. https://github.com/optoisolated/MXWeather
Nossie
Weather Station: Ecowitt 2551
Operating System: Raspberry Pi5 Debian Bookworm

Post by Nossie »

optoisolated »

You have done gods work with this, thank you very much.

I have a request - I've been trying to instal cumulusutils into it however and I've ran into a little trouble. I mounted the utils folder in my compose file and copied all the files over as requested and into the various places.

- /media/DATA/WeatherServer/MXWeather/utils:/opt/CumulusMX/utils

However when I run the application it's asking for other dependencies, do you use this addon for cumulus? Is it possible you could add them to your build script if they are not too large

Please install lshw (apt-get install lshw)

With my limited docker knowledge I was going to start hacking together the dependencies, but it would be nice if it was part of the automation and after lshw I've no idea what else will be required!

Thanks,
Ian.
Ian.

http://www.StewartonWeather.com
Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Nossie wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 8:23 am I have a request - I've been trying to instal cumulusutils into it however and I've ran into a little trouble. I mounted the utils folder in my compose file and copied all the files over as requested and into the various places.

- /media/DATA/WeatherServer/MXWeather/utils:/opt/CumulusMX/utils

However when I run the application it's asking for other dependencies, do you use this addon for cumulus? Is it possible you could add them to your build script if they are not too large

Please install lshw (apt-get install lshw)

With my limited docker knowledge I was going to start hacking together the dependencies, but it would be nice if it was part of the automation and after lshw I've no idea what else will be required!
I make/maintain CumulusUtils so I assume this post is partly addressed to me.

Dependencies are mentioned in the Wiki though I see the lshw dependency is only mentioned at the SysInfo module which requires it.
I will copy that to the main installation wiki page as well.

I can't see any other dependencies - I hope I do not miss something - other than the configuration the user has to do.

I really don't have enough knowledge of Docker - actually: no knowledge at all - so I can't help you here.
In general I think Mark said it all.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3