Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Web Index or Home Page

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

AlongTheWay
Weather Station: National Geographic 265NC
Operating System: Vista Business SP2 64 Bit

Web Index or Home Page

Post by AlongTheWay »

I am a little confused on how the website gets a index page. I have followed the instruction on the Culumus software help pages on what to load to the web directory and what structure to use. But where does the index or home page come from. When I load the files into my website then go to the web page all I get is a list of the directories and files visible on my webpage. I have created a few simple web sites a few years ago with HTML and so with that knowledge I thought I could just make a copy of the index page source file from one of the other weather websites, edit the names and use it as a index or home page but this didn't work either. All I got was source page code for my home page. (I did check all the brackets and spaces to make sure they were not wrong or misaligned). I did download the other zip file containing the .xml and .xap file but I don't know what they are used for. I am probably getting way off track here and I am probably missing something really simple here so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Web Index or Home Page

Post by daj »

Could you tell us your website address so that we an see what it wrong?

To establish a website for cumulus there are some core files to be placed in your webserver space. These are in the webfiles folder in c:\program files\cumulus\webfiles

These files need to me manually uploaded by you.

Then you give Cumulus some details of a username, password, and the web server (ftp) to upload files to

Cumulus will then create and upload the necessary files -- example index.htm, today.htm, yesterday.htm etc

So is this not happening?
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
AlongTheWay

Post by AlongTheWay »

Thank you
So that is a little more help. I am beginning to see that the program actually loads the index page. Which it didn't seem to do. My website is http://members.shaw.ca/steven_geraldine/weather/ there you will see just a list of directories and files. In Cumulus internet configuration do you just click the Include standard files and Standard Image boxes or do you have to fill in all the Local and Remote file boxes and then click in the Realtime box?
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

OK, AlongTheWay.

First, could you please, please, at the very least, give us your first name - I really dislike (if not hate) to reply to a nickname - and yes, I am of that older generation that see no need/purpose to hide behind a nickname... ;)

From the Shaw link you gave us, I would presume that your first name is 'Steven' .. or 'Geraldine'... :roll:

That having been said... :)

You seem to have the right (basic requirement) files on your Web site.

Now you have to get Cumulus to produce those weather files and upload them to your Web site.

First, when Cumulus is running on your home (or office) computer, are there weather information in most of the boxes on the main screen?

If no, then Cumulus has not been setup properly to communicate with your weather station! :|

If yes, then from the main screen of Cumulus, select the 'Configuration -> Internet' option.

The left column with the header 'Web Site':

In the box beside 'Host name' you must enter the name of the server where Cumulus will upload (FTP) its files - I cannot help you here with the Shaw FTP server name, although I use Shaw's services, I am not hosting my Web pages with Shaw.

For my Cumulus, in the box beside 'Host name', I am using my own domain name, which is "tzouhalem.net" as my FTP server.

The box beside 'FTP Port': Leave the default value of '21', unless told otherwise by Shaw.

The box beside 'Directory': Leave it empty if Cumulus can upload (FTP) its weather files directly into the 'weather' sub-directory (on the Shaw server). If not, then enter '/weather/' in the box to configure Cumulus to upload (FTP) its weather files into the '/weather/' sub-directory.

Confused! If yes, ask questions and be precise as to what you are asking ... so one of us can reply precisely... :?

The box beside 'Username': You must enter the 'username' that is needed to access Shaw's FTP server - and that would probably (certainly) NOT be the 'username' that you need to access Shaw's Web pages.

The box beside 'Password': You must enter the password that is needed to access Shaw's FTP server - and, as indicated previously, that would probably (certainly) NOT be the password that you need to access Shaw's Web pages.

Getting there... 8-)

The center column with the header 'Web Settings':

You need to place a check mark in front of four (4) options:
- 'Auto Update' = means that Cumulus will automatically update (FTP) its weather files to your Web server;
- 'Use active FTP mode' = knowing a bit about Shaw, I think that option can safely be used;
- 'Use FTP rename' = again, knowing a bit about Shaw, I think that option is probably active.
- 'Enable Realtime'

The box beside 'Realtime interval': A value (in seconds) needs to be entered in that box - I suggest 10 seconds.

The 'OK' button now needs to be clicked to save the setup you have just entered.

To test that Cumulus has been set up properly, from the main screen of Cumulus, select the 'File -> Web Update' option. If the FTP has been setup properly, a new smaller window should opened and display the files that are being uploaded (FTP) by Cumulus. If the upload (FTP) is not proceeding properly, then some error messages should appear.

In either cases (successful upload or unsuccessful upload) please let us know what is happening. ;)
AlongTheWay

Post by AlongTheWay »

I have done more digging into the Internet configuration setup and fixed a minor error but that was all and it didn't help. But I have noticed that at the bottom of the Cumulus program its says "Connecting to Website" but it is doing nothing. I happened to see the Debug Window and it keeps repeating these three lines over and over if it means anything.
Data: 0A 2C CB 00 55 14 00 D8 24 00 07 00 0C 21 00 00
Request EW data block, addr = 000000
Request EW data block, addr = 000820

There is a FAQ that states about looking at flplog.txt or realtimeftplog.txt to make sure the ftp data is correct but that doesn't make any sense to me as I have no idea where they are at as they don't reside in my computer anywhere.
Hopefully some kind soul can set me straight on my dilemma, thank you.
AlongTheWay

Post by AlongTheWay »

My name is Steve, sorry about that.
AlongTheWay

Post by AlongTheWay »

Thank you Ray for that info, but I found that trying to use the trailing backslash on the weather directory will not stay. The program deletes it. When I run Web Update this is the message I get. FTP Error: FTP component already connected
What do you think.

Steve
AlongTheWay

Post by AlongTheWay »

Finally found the ftplog.txt file and it shows it timing out on connection. It seems to be telling me that my login is not correct for Cumulus yet it works for my FTP program I used to manually download my files. See the following. This is interesting.
21:43:38:411 ! HighLevelAsync 0
21:43:38:501 02A689B0 TriggerDataSent 1372
21:43:38:567 >|220 Shaw FTP Server|

21:43:38:567 ! HighLevelAsync 0
21:43:38:567 02A689B0 TriggerDataSent 1372
21:43:38:608 >|331 Password required for steven_geraldine|

21:43:38:608 ! HighLevelAsync 0
21:43:38:608 02A689B0 TriggerDataSent 1372
21:43:38:765 >|530 Login incorrect.|

21:48:37:775 >|421 Login Timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection|

21:58:38:264 ! HighLevelAsync 0
21:58:38:297 02A689B0 TriggerDataSent 1400
21:58:38:333 >|220 Shaw FTP Server|

21:58:38:333 ! HighLevelAsync 0
21:58:38:333 02A689B0 TriggerDataSent 1400
21:58:38:363 >|331 Password required for steven_geraldine|

21:58:38:363 ! HighLevelAsync 0
21:58:38:363 02A689B0 TriggerDataSent 1400
21:58:38:434 >|530 Login incorrect.|

22:03:37:506 >|421 Login Timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection|
AlongTheWay

Post by AlongTheWay »

WOW ITS FIXED. I think I had a multiple set of problems that I worked out one by one. The last problem was that there was a backslash in front of my Weather directory as I thought you had to have to indicator for the root directory. Everything has downloaded now.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELPS

Steve
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It's easiest to give a relative path for the directory (without a leading slash), as you've found, because then you don't need to know what strange path your hosting might require to get from the root to your directory.
Steve