Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

2nd Anemometer Failing

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
The PIT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Wireless
Operating System: Windows 7 32 bit

Re: 2nd Anemometer Failing

Post by The PIT »

Mapantz wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 3:59 pm Took the anemometer down to have a look. Cable is fine, dry as a bone in the transmitter.

Took the wind vane off, the nut/spacers are all green and corroded. The wind speed cartridge/shaft is full of metal dust, where metal has rubbed on metal for a long period of time. Spinning both shafts make a crunching/grinding noise. It's what's known as knackered, just as I first thought.
Sounds like one I've got. I cleared all the crap out, oiled it with wd40 and spins quite freely now. Out of interest I looked at the replacement and the cartridge was a sealed unit. So it either worn through the old plastic, Davis changed the design or possibly a knocked off unit.

No issues with the wind direction though. I've got it as a spare in case the other breaks . Clearly I wouldn't see it as a long term replacement.

I wonder why Davis don't sell both as a replacement.
Based in Sunny Old Sheffield South Yorkshire England

www.sheffieldweather.co.uk
islander
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7 professional

Post by islander »

I've been reading through this thread with interest. I've had my Vantage Pro2 since 2014 and it's needed maintenance 4 times in that period. I do live right next to the sea in Orkney and we are prone to spells of gales here so it's not unexpected. It's the very definition of a maritime environment!

I've had to replace the anemometer bearings twice but it's a simple job, (the bearings are available from any decent bearing factor and be sure to get the flanged type to ensure a decent seal) and cheap to do (R2zz flanged bearings the stainless ones are currently £3.90 + VAT each). It's obviously a good idea to clean everything up at the same time.

I've had to repair the wind head cable once at the head end (not sure how it got damaged as it's at the top of a 4.5m sectional pole and the cable is carefully cable tied along its length). Again simple and cheap to do. I used marine grade adhesive lined heatshrink tubing to protect the individual joins and the overall sheath. The adhesive lining makes a perfect weather seal. The second bearing replacement was done at the same time.

I've had to replace the temperature/humidity sensor once. I'm led to believe that these have a finite lifespan and do fail after a while. Around £60 if memory serves and about an hour to remove the ISS, dismantle and clean the shield, replace the part and put it all back in service.

Finally my wind vane stopped working recently. I decided to buy a new unit so that I could refurbish the old one and keep it as a spare. I haven't dismantled it yet but moving it by hand once I'd got it down was difficult and then it became a lot easier so I suspect some sort of corrosion and hopefully an easy fix.

The wind head was the most expensive obviously, but that was down to my wanting to have one spare so that I could replace the other quickly and easily if a fault arose.

I'm sure the potentiometer will be available from somewhere as a spare part - a quick search shows a place in America that has them for the hourglass model for around $35. Mine's an earlier model so I'll have to check to see if they're the same part.

The point is that spares are available and repairs really aren't that hard to do if you take your time and go carefully.
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

My anemometer keeps losing connection to both my WLL and my console...

This is unbelievable.. I only bought a new one 3 months ago. Sick to death of Davis' crap. :bash:

Literally just started happening;
2023-10-29 15:36:06.670 Warning: Sensor contact lost TxId 2; ignoring data from this ISS
2023-10-29 15:36:26.690 Warning: Sensor contact lost TxId 2; ignoring data from this ISS
2023-10-29 15:36:46.677 Warning: Sensor contact lost TxId 2; ignoring data from this ISS

All data is gone. No wind speed or direction - an absolute joke.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Could this be someone else's or another high field strength piece of equipment interfering with you equipment's connections?
David
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

It's lost all contact now, both the WLL and console.

£230 for a new one, plus having to hire a ladder again.

Big storm on the way, and no wind data. :bash:
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

super cap failure

https://ibb.co/YdjVTrJ
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Is the super cap inside the transmitter station? I have two as the one for the anemometer is at the front of the house.

Do you have easy access to the transmitter? Is it a job you can do yourself?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Super cap in the anemometer transmitter.

Had to pay £60 to hire a roof ladder for 24 hours.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Can’t you position the transmitter lower down? Mine is above the porch and easily accessible with a small step ladder. That’s why they have such a long cable.

No wind is being recorded.
Last edited by RayProudfoot on Mon 30 Oct 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Cross-posted :)
I have placed my anemometer transmitter lower down, so it is easier to access for maintenance. Is that something you could do?
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I'll have to put it lower down I think. It just won't get much sun on it, as I am restricted being in the middle of a terraced house. It'll be facing northeast.

@Ray - No wind due to the super cap failure. The solar panel works the transmitter during the day.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Duracells are a darn sight cheaper than £60 to hire a ladder. Hopefully your new supercap will arrive soon.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Postman didn't deliver the super cap today, even though it shows it was at the office at 8am. So much for a 'special' delivery.

Anyway, I got the transmitter down and saw that the current one has leaked. As the solar panel is working well, I have put the transmitter in my office space and I have a lamp set up next to it to keep it working overnight. :twisted:
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Anemometer is now stuck at north.

Can this crap get any worse?