Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX and website on a single Raspberry Pi

General news concerning announcements of new releases, forum outages etc.
DemonTraitor
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

CumulusMX and website on a single Raspberry Pi

Post by DemonTraitor »

Hi there... problems...

I have been trying to search to solve this, but could not find any details. So I apologise if already posted.

Set-up:
Raspberry Pi (v1) N00B version 1.5.0 with latest updates etc.
CumulusMX 3036

Basically CumulusMX is running perfectly, updating my remote website http://weather.alienmoons.co.uk/

But now I have a website running on my pi... http://alienmoons.no-ip.biz which is working fine, except I cannot get CumulusMX to update the "local" pi website.

I have FTP set-up, with a specific user and default root folder, but I am still struggling. I don't know if I have been playing about with this too long, but hopefully it is a simple solution that I cannot see....

I have tried setting CumulusMX Web/FTP site to the local ip address (192.xxx) with my login details, and with/without the /var/www/html/ directory path, but the website is not updating.

I have also tried leaving the FTP details blank and used the "Extra web files" like thus "/home/pi/CumulusMX/web/now.htm" to remote "/var/www/html/now.htm" to no avail.

I have not used linux for a long long time, so can anyone point me in the right direction to check?

Thank you

Demon
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: CumulusMX and website on a single Raspberry Pi

Post by steve »

Getting MX to copy the files rather than using FTP is definitely the way to go - much more efficient. Assuming you have those paths correct, I can't think why it wouldn't work, unless perhaps the user running MX doesn't have the required permissions. If you're running it using sudo, then that can't be the case, clearly.

Are there any error relating to this in the MXdiags file? Can you show exactly what you have on the extra files screen for that now.htm file? What exactly happens - I've had a look at http://alienmoons.no-ip.biz/now.htm and it does display a page.
Steve
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

steve wrote:Getting MX to copy the files rather than using FTP is definitely the way to go - much more efficient. Assuming you have those paths correct, I can't think why it wouldn't work, unless perhaps the user running MX doesn't have the required permissions. If you're running it using sudo, then that can't be the case, clearly.

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Are there any error relating to this in the MXdiags file? Can you show exactly what you have on the extra files screen for that now.htm file? What exactly happens - I've had a look at http://alienmoons.no-ip.biz/now.htm and it does display a page.
Oh, my big bad.... all the files are updating fine except "now.htm" etc... I think I'm tired!

Basically, it looks like the "Extra web files" are not updating... the "tmp" files are, but not the real files...?
Capture.PNG

Regards

Demon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

But now.htm isn't a standard Cumulus file, so I don't know how it is supposed to work - which is why I asked to see your settings for it. When an 'extra file' template is processed, that produces a file with the same name but with tmp on the end. If you're copying the file, that tmp file is then copied to whatever you have specified for the destination.

What is the directory that you have shown?
Steve
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

steve wrote:But now.htm isn't a standard Cumulus file, so I don't know how it is supposed to work - which is why I asked to see your settings for it. When an 'extra file' template is processed, that produces a file with the same name but with tmp on the end. If you're copying the file, that tmp file is then copied to whatever you have specified for the destination.

What is the directory that you have shown?
Sorted it... I have had to put the full path names in the "Extra Web Files" dialogue boxes...
Capture.PNG
I am sure I done this before!!!! Well, it seems to be working now!

Sweet Mary!!!

FALSE ALARM... "extra web files" are still not being created from their tmp counterparts :(

Will try tomorrow lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

OH LORD!!!!!

I do apologise... this is absolute user error.... :oops:

I had somehow replaced the now.htm file template with the hard-coded version generated by CumulusMX... so it was always uploading the exact same file each time...

I have now resolved this issue FOR SURE!!!

Yours apologetically

Demon :oops:
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

All running very smoothly on the Pi

http://alienmoons.no-ip.biz

Need to fix the monthly records, as the "monthlyalltime.ini" file has become corrupt. By the looks of it, there is no way to auto-generate this, so I will look into writing an app for it.

Also, the Degree symbol in Twitrter.. https://twitter.com/WaterbeachUK is not displaying.

But overall... very very happy :D :D :D
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

All running very smoothly on the Pi

http://alienmoons.no-ip.biz

Need to fix the monthly records, as the "monthlyalltime.ini" file has become corrupt. By the looks of it, there is no way to auto-generate this, so I will look into writing an app for it.

Also, the Degree symbol in Twitrter.. https://twitter.com/WaterbeachUK is not displaying.

But overall... very very happy :D :D :D
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If you're using a twitter.txt file, you need to encode it as UTF-8 (without 'BOM') if you have any characters outside the 7-bit ASCII set.
Steve
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

You have the old Cumulus 1 Trend graphs on your site not the new Cumulus MX Highchart ones.
David
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

steve wrote:If you're using a twitter.txt file, you need to encode it as UTF-8 (without 'BOM') if you have any characters outside the 7-bit ASCII set.
Thanks! :)
DemonTraitor

Post by DemonTraitor »

water01 wrote:You have the old Cumulus 1 Trend graphs on your site not the new Cumulus MX Highchart ones.
Oh right... thanks! I installed CumulusMX, then just basically dumped my old data on top... I will look into this. I'm going to be re-writing the whole website from scratch too anyway :)

This whole project was just to get everything working :)
liddelljs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1001
Operating System: RPi 3 Raspbian Buster

Post by liddelljs »

Hi all,
I have tried to do the same thing, setting up a website on the pi that is also running MX but without success. I'm sure my problem is lack of knowledge so hoping someone can give me some pointers.
I copied the contents of the webfiles directory (not the directory itself) into a new directory /var/www on the pi.
In the web/ftp site, I set the hostname to 127.0.1.1 (pi host name - or should this be the 192.xxx.x.x address of the pi on my network?). FTP port 21, username and password set to those I use to access the pi, directory /var/www.
On web/ftp settings, I checked auto update, include standard files, include graph files, active ftp mode, ftp rename, UTF-8 encoding, ftp logging, enable realtime, enable realtime ftp, realtime.txt ftp,. Upload interval set at 5 and realtime interval set at 30.
Try as I might, I can't see files updating into the /var/www directory.

Cheers
Steve
liddelljs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1001
Operating System: RPi 3 Raspbian Buster

Post by liddelljs »

Hi all,
Just an update on my issue. Looked at MXdiags file and it is trying to transfer files but is reporting an error "Error connecting ftp - This FTP server is anonymous only".

Cheers
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It needs to be the IP address of your Pi on your local network. Are you actually running an ftp server on the Pi?

You don't actually need to use ftp if the web server is on the same machine, you can get MX to just copy the files to /var/www, although this is a bit harder to set up. You have to list all of the required files in the 'extra files' settings, and don't tick 'ftp'.
Steve