Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Can't place my finger on it....

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

cc_rider
Weather Station: wh1080
Operating System: windows 10

Can't place my finger on it....

Post by cc_rider »

Something weird going on and I can't seem to put my finger on it, so to speak..

MX runs fine. It is reporting what my station is sending. However...

When I stop it after 1/2 hour or so and restart V1.94, it reloads all the records it missed since it stopped and the 'catch up' indicator blinks. The last bout was 27 records. I just tried it again, and after only a few minutes, 3 records to catch up. Is this causing duplicates to be sent to wunderground amd pws?

Any idea how I can track this down as an anomaly or otherwise? Should I stop using v1.94? I'm worried the records are not being flushed from the station and it may stop if memory is full.

Any assistance or comments appreciated.

CCR
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Can't place my finger on it....

Post by steve »

cc_rider wrote:When I stop it after 1/2 hour or so and restart V1.94, it reloads all the records it missed since it stopped and the 'catch up' indicator blinks. The last bout was 27 records. I just tried it again, and after only a few minutes, 3 records to catch up. Is this causing duplicates to be sent to wunderground amd pws?
I can't really follow what you're saying. Are you running 1.9.4 and MX alternately from the same directory? I make no promises that going from MX to 1.9.4 with the same files is guaranteed to work now or in future, particularly now that MX is writing the timestamp in today.ini in ISO format - I don't know if the system routines used by 1.9.4 understand that format, and it's that timestamp which tells Cumulus how far back to go to download logger data.

If you're running them alternately from different directories, then each one has to download the required logger entries that it needs itself to catch up, and yes, this will cause duplicate entries to be sent to WU and/or PWS - if you have 'catch up' selected for WU and/or PWS in both 1.9.4 and MX. You could de-select those options in either 1.9.4 or MX, but this will still result in some duplicates being sent if you have been sending 'live' updates using the other version.
I'm worried the records are not being flushed from the station and it may stop if memory is full.
Records never get flushed from the station, and when it gets to the end of its memory, it just starts again at the beginning. It doesn't care whether the entries have been downloaded or not, and it doesn't actually keep track of that.
Steve
cc_rider
Weather Station: wh1080
Operating System: windows 10

Re: Can't place my finger on it....

Post by cc_rider »

Thanks for quick reply. I now understand how these things work a bit better.

Regards